LSD

Started by CJB, May 27, 2010, 07:40

CJB

LSD
All the toyota dealers say that the MRS does NOT have a LSD. No one knows. Toyota technical don't know. Only the spreadsheet on this forum suggests that UK/europe cars have LSD as standard. I believe that it is a mistake. Who drew up that sheet and why did they put that statement in.

Can anyone help?

onion86

I think it's not standard on an 'MRS' (being that they are the imports) but some boxes do have them (think you can tell somehow from some letter stamped on the end of the chassis number or something). Pretty sure UK cars have LSD as standard.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

spit

There was some info gleaned from a website in Japanese which hinted that a "B" suffix  on the J-Spec VIN plate under "Tra/Axle" means LSD. "A" means no LSD.

Other than a very poor translation of that web page, I'm not aware that this has been confirmed.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

CJB

What I mean is - I don't believe post 03 UK sold roadsters have an LSD base on what I've been told. To me it is important as its why I originally wanted an MR-S. The only mid-engined affordable sports car with an LSD (Torsen). I am really disappointed that is most likely does not have an LSD.

spit

oops my mistake.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

FGrob

Quote from: "CJB"What I mean is - I don't believe post 03 UK sold roadsters have an LSD base on what I've been told. To me it is important as its why I originally wanted an MR-S. The only mid-engined affordable sports car with an LSD (Torsen). I am really disappointed that is most likely does not have an LSD.
Hmmmm - what a load of crap, suggest you and whom ever told you that read the following:

m http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota ... _09_02.asp m

As for the MRS - why - whats the matter with a UK car you get a LSD after 03 as standard  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

muffdan

Having had a couple of gearboxes stripped, I can confirm they had LSD's. The car also drives and handles like it has an LSD. I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed if their car didn't have an LSD by now.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

onion86

In the past loads of people have been selling 6-speed boxes with LSD (as I almost bought one when my 5-speed died), so I'm pretty sure the 03+ box does have one?

*EDIT* Jason beat me to it  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

FGrob

[MOD]Removed some unfriendly content, I will have words with the OP [/MOD]

OK you did not look to hard then, how about:

m http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarr ... a_mr2.html m

m http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/ca ... 02513.html m

m http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1479 ... dster.html m

m http://www.supercarsite.net/toyota/mr2-roadster/2003 m

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

CJB

Thanks to everyone - it looks like you've confirmed that the 6 speed version has a LSD. I can start looking. Cheers

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]OK, if we can keep this on topic, and try and not take offense where none was meant it would be useful. Some content to this thread has been removed, the initial attack and the consequent commentary which is no longer relevant ... don't worry boys, it's not your fault i've removed it - I will contact the OP directly [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Quote from: "CJB"Thanks to everyone - it looks like you've confirmed that the 6 speed version has a LSD. I can start looking. Cheers

For clarity, specifically you do not want an MR-S. The MR-S is the Japanese market car and on these, the LSD was an optional extra. What you do want is an official Toyota GB sold MR2 which had an LSD as standard.

If you go shopping for an MR-S or grey import, you may or may not get a LSD. Shop for UK supplied MR2 and you will get a LSD provided the car is on its original box. Simples!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

cclarke99

Looking on the Toyo diy website you get the following part numbers for the differential

2004 car UK
41301    CASE SUB-ASSY, REAR DIFFERENTIAL
41301-20230    ZZW30    1    € 1,026.86

2004 car Japan
41301-20230    ZZW30; アリ(L.S.D)    1    $1,766.16
41301-32061    ZZW30    1    $649.15

2002 car UK
41301-20230    ZZW30; W(LSD)    1    € 1,026.86
41301-32061    ZZW30..EUR    1    € 341.82

2002 car Japan
41301-20230    ZZW30; アリ(L.S.D)    1    $1,766.16
41301-32061    ZZW30    1    $649.15

So 41301-20230 is the LSD differential for both markets and 41301-32061 is the open diff. LSD is standard from 2003 onwards on UK cars but still an option on the MR-S. One thing to note is the big price difference, if people at Toyota can't tell what your car has fitted, you could get ripped off (or a bargain).

In the manual it says the following

2000-2002 gearbox type C56
2003 on   gearbox type C65

With a  date code in the form

Y MM XXXXX (where XXXXX is a 2 or 5 digit production code)

Apparently the number is stamped on the top front edge of the clutch housing, but I couldn't find it in the car as theres too much stuff in the way.

CJB

Thats useful info - thanks for that cclarke99

Tags: