Cars!

Started by WillsSayers, June 1, 2010, 16:34

WillsSayers

Hey guys,

Still browsing the used car market, and still think I'm after another '2. Insurance has been a killer – was quite £2.5k to insure another V6, and beginning to think I should just have a nice cheap to run 1.8l and pay £1k insurance rather than a thirsty 3.0l and pay more than twice as much a month! Seen one or two I'm considering at the moment though, and wondered if anyone could pass judgement:
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1708192.htm m  - it's in Caithness (Near Thurso apparently?) which is a tad inconvenient! But air con, red cloth seats, coilovers, looks like a Top Secret kit, big exhaust (Apexi maybe?)

Other one is a JDM import with TRD stage 2 kit:
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1549722.htm m  - Looks lowered, looks like it's got Air Con, cloth seats but a tad overpriced?

Another TRD Stage 2:
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1699405.htm m  - looks decent to me, £4k means plenty of change so can get it lowered, plus a few other choice mods. Has a dual exhaust, but I'm guessing this is the TTE one.

Last TRD Stage 2:
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1724744.htm m  - can you tell I like the TRD Stage 2 kit?  s;) ;) s;)  A tad under 60k miles for £4k, Apexi induction and what looks like an after market exhaust – tips certainly look bigger than TTE to me anyway. The guy has however just texted me saying it's got a diagnostic fault for the air bag as it's got an aftermarket wheel. However I asked about the pre-cats and he says it is rattling in the manifold so isn't sure if this is something related to the pre-cats or not. Not I didn't think pre-cat failure would result in a manifold rattle – in fact I don't think I've read anything about the manifold rattling before? That's in Neath (Wales I assume?) so if anyone local fancies scoping it out, I can't say I'd complain too much :p

Any thoughts?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Any thoughts?
Yes, that TRD kit is utterly vile  s;) ;) s;)

FWIW you don't get a CEL when you change to an aftermarket wheel so that'll be for something else, so I'd avoid that one like the plague.

WillsSayers

Ha, I wholly expect it to be a marmite kit........ But it's always reminded me of a Stormtrooper for some reason???

Is that so? Would having the airbag disconnected not cause a CEL then?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

markiii

nope their is a specific light for teh airbag, it wouldn't trip teh CEL
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Having read his text again, he does say "only diagnostic fault is an air bag as it's not connected" - so more than likely it's not a CEL at all, just the airbag light.

evileye_wrx

I think there is a fix to bypass the airbag light. Don't know what it is and haven't done a search as I'm on my phone. Not much help am I!

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Ilogik

the blue one used to belong to someone on here I think, todo or something along those lines.

White one belonged to my friend (mojo)  Has an SP performance exhaust on it that used to belong to the tte kit I bought.

yellow one - and people say my car is over priced? i think i just pissed my pants

red its ok but not a big fan of those bumpers.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Given what you're used to, I'd find the extra for insurance and just buy Nige's car as it's damn as hell near the most perfect Roadster I've ever driven.

Anonymous

The one in Caithness says its a veilside in the add, patently not.

Ilogik

for your budget id build your own top car, get a shitty car to drive around in.

Get a dead car, put engine of your choice, coilovers and a nice lip kit and you would prob have change left over.

Car 1k
Coilovers £500
engine swap 5000?
lip kit and painting £500

WillsSayers

I'd love to know where you pull those figures from Al!  s;) ;) s;)

Dan, I see where you're coming from, but it's £2.5k of money pissed up the wall. 10 monthly instalments with interest will chock up a shade under £300 PER MONTH! If it were an investment then fair enough; but unfortunately it's money right to the insurers, and I can't justify that.

Nelix, I did notice that yes. And it certainly makes me dubious when someone doesn't even know what it is that they're selling!

Ilogik

Quote from: "WillsSayers"I'd love to know where you pull those figures from Al!  s;) ;) s;)

Dan, I see where you're coming from, but it's £2.5k of money pissed up the wall. 10 monthly instalments with interest will chock up a shade under £300 PER MONTH! If it were an investment then fair enough; but unfortunately it's money right to the insurers, and I can't justify that.

Nelix, I did notice that yes. And it certainly makes me dubious when someone doesn't even know what it is that they're selling!

how much is a v6 swap? 4.2k?

you can get roadsters for around 1500 running if your lucky, 1k with a dead engine sounds fair.

coilovers i was under by 100.

lip kit i bought a good quality one and had it painted for 500 for trd kit.

evileye_wrx

The guy who owned the first one, in Caithness, has been on here. I think he was trying to sell but wouldn't split the mods and got a bit shirty. don't quote me on that cos again I haven't bothered to search so it's just random memories.

Those Stage 2 TRD kits do look angry don't they Grrrrrr!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  (and they're all imports)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

philster_d

Get a different car for a while, can be higher performance but stock. Then you will have a lot more insurance options to play them off against each other and get the cost down.

Then save up some money and no claims ready for the next roadster.

WillsSayers

Phil, I've got a 56 plate Civic 2.2 derv at the moment, so the only reason I'm hankering for another Roadster is for fun driving. I'm more than capable of playing the waiting game; not so much willing to though! ;D

Dyn-Evo

Wills.. if you're playing the waiting game, I reckon you'll be looking at a 2GR-FE conversion next time........!?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

WillsSayers

Who knows man, it's a possibility  s;) ;) s;)  Nothing stopping me getting a Roadster now and 2GR'ing it later on  s;) ;) s;)

WillsSayers

Interestingly, the guy with the red TRD Stage 2 in my OP has offered it for £3k seeing as the engine is on its way out. It's running at the moment, and would provide about a grand to put a recon'd engine  Is it worth it, or am I just being a sucker for the kit here?

Currently speaking to Andy about his '03 in the For Sale section as well though, and that's seeming like a cracking deal, on top of being just down the road from where I live!

Ilogik

Your being a tool!! The TRD  front bumper is vile   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I said it earlier in the post look to buy a car for around 1.5-2k running 1k no running, Rowland got a cracker for 1500 running with a trd kit there be bargains to be had   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

TRD kit will cost you £330 for the trd lip kit which is far nicer. It will be delivered wthin 2 days, Ill even give you the link if you want, the fitment was perfect and so was the quality.

Problem with fitting a new engine is a: finding one, 2: hoping it is in good condition 3: all the hidden extras such as fluids ect and other wear and tear. I say if you want a project get something with a dead engine.

WillsSayers

Yeah I don't think the red 'un is a contender really, I'm just infatuated with the kit......! I seem to be alone there but oh well, I enjoy my own company :p

Ilogik

Good to be different mate. I know the white one, used to belong to mojo, has a clifford alarm, pre cats were removed at rogue, SP performance exhaust no known springs, wheels were refurbished black by new owner. Car looked in good nick, but always worth checking,

WillsSayers

That one's already gone, I remember mojo having it up for sale. Slightly concerning how quickly the new owner had it up for sale though!

Tags: