Street Smart For The Summer

Started by Anonymous, June 28, 2003, 12:40

Anonymous

This article was in my local newspaper, the MK Citizen - would have scanned it but no scanner at the moment   s:( :( s:(  

Street smart for the summer

TOYOTA'S MR2 roadster has always been a head-turner but now its street impact is set to soar with a new body styling kit.

The open top two-seater is given a more muscular, lower profile with the addition of the three-part kit, a dedicated Toyota accessory.

The kit comprises front spats, side skirts and rear bumper extensions, all matched to the car's body colour. Their impact on the car's styling enhances its taut and compact design, extending the lines and curves of the bodywork rather than exaggerating them.

Not only does the MR2 look the business with its styling kit, it performs superbly, too. The mid-mounted 1.8-litre VVT-i deliveres 138bhp and will power the lightweight MR2 from rest to 62mph in eight seconds, en route to a top speed, where permitted, of 131mph.

The excellent balance of the chassis ensures great handling, aided by a Torsen limited-slip differential and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRC) and Brake Assist (BA) systems.

The MR2 also benefits fron sports-tuned suspension and large tyres for plenty of grip. THe alloy wheels are 16-inch at the rear, shod with 215/45 tyres, and 15-inch at the front, with 185/55 rubber.

There is a choice of 6-speed manual gearbox or Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT) which both provide excellent mid-range acceleration and rear rewards for those seeking an involving driving experience. With the SMT, clutchless gearshifts can be made using the gear lever of Formula One-style buttons on the steering wheel.

The new styling kit is available from 1 July, priced £850 painted and fitted. On the road prices for the MR2 are £17,000 for the manual version and £18,500 with SMT

Although its a mini-review, i put this in here cos its really advertising the bodykit.

There is a photo, but like i said, not scanner right now - i will get it scanned at work on monday.

Slacey

Any ideas if this a completely new kit or the existing Stage 1 kit that's been about for a while?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Looking at the accessory brochure, they look very similar.... im sure MR.T will send us all promotional stuff about it sooner or later in the post... guess we can compare it then.

markiii

I'd lay money it's the TRD stage 1 from Japan
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Ive just noticed that the car in the newspaper is a 52 reg so the picture could well be of the existing kit, rather than the new one... might we worth checking out.

Mark - got any pics of the TRD one?

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

JESUS! You could have someone's legs off with that front spoiler!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

yeah, nice though.

Anonymous

Not sure on the front... like the side skirts though!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not sure about the front either.  Looks a bit OTT to me.

Chris

I've always liked the look of the previous trd kit, the one for the pre 03 spec, but I'm guessing that it doesn't fit the 03?

I like those side skirts as well - always look nice in pics on SC...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Wonder if teh car would look silly with just the side skirts and await a front bumper that people like ??? your views  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

theres a couple og guys stateside with the skirts and rear and the Top Secret front bumper.

Anonymous

Any pics of what it looks like and what are the prices for the TRD side skirts ??? and is there are a UK stockest????

sorry for all the questions   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Found these on Japanparts

Anonymous

Nice they look good what are the prices on the site??   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

£328.95 & £212.88

Chris

for me, i think it's still the msd rear that does it for me... i can feel a 3 part mix n match body kit coming on!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:? :? s:?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

wait till next term student loan then  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"wait till next term student loan then  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

shouldnt you use that for books and stuff?!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Na thats what the net is for if i need a book i can just download it well most anyway!

I dont need books i got you guys if i get stuck   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Books for uni serve one purpose, and that's to provide a range of different thickness props, for wonky table legs later in life.

Anonymous

Nah, at uni in hull all i use them for are Roaches...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Does anyone have this kit? £850 painted and fitted seems a very good price   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Its not a bad price i dont think assuming it is the kit we think it is - im at the dealers tomorrow anyway so will see if they have any brochures on it yet.

Tags: