Old unit caliper set for Bigg Red refurb

Started by AC, June 5, 2010, 20:14

AC

Once again I have a sticking piston in my n/s rear caliper, road wheel is getting red hot just after 30mins tootling. Flamin Aisin calipers, rubbish IMO.

So I'm thinking stuff it and have a Bigg Red full refurb as this will be the third time in 2 years I've had to split a caliper and unseize it.

Just wondered, to make life easier, does anyone have a full set of old core calipers (inc brackets front and rear) that need refurb'ing that I could borrow or even hire to save stripping mine off and having to leave car parked up and caliperless  s:? :? s:?  

Obviously my displaced calipers would be sent back to you once the Bigg Red's were fitted.

Thanks,

Andrew.

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

Two's Company

I thought they offered an exchange service?

AC

I contacted them today, they have no finished stock and no old units.

So my options would be;

1. Remove my calipers, chock car and leave brakeless whilst they are sent off for refurb. Main problem here is I wasn't planning on doing the labour myself.

2. Buy a used set (probably individually or paired off eBay) and send them off. Have been looking into, means £200 on old units then refurb and coating costs. Certainly a possibility.

Before these two though just wondered if there was a set knocking around in the club for this refurb process, for some reason I'm thinking there used to be?

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

Jigwar

Quote from: "AC"Before these two though just wondered if there was a set knocking around in the club for this refurb process, for some reason I'm thinking there used to be?

There is indeed a set amongst the club. markiii has generously supplied them. The only issue we may now face is that one of the calipers in this set - the driver's rear - is seized. I have this one sat in my shed. Of course, if that's the same one as is seized on yours then we are no further forward   s:? :? s:?  

Jaik has the other 3 I believe.
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Jigwar

Quote from: "AC"Once again I have a sticking piston in my n/s rear caliper.......

Ah, missed this first time reading, so this exchange set may work then.

Happy to send mine to you. Suggest trying Jaik for the other 3, and Mark just so he's happy for them to be moved on.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

AC

Hi Steve,

Mark has indeed kindly offered the facility of the infill set, once he'd determined where they were - which seems to be Jaik for the front pair and n/s rear.  Jaik lives fairly local to me so I can arrange collection for those.  If I could make use of your spare o/s rear (which would also get the infill set back up to full strength) then I'd be greatly appreciative.  None of my originals are seized, just increasingly sticking!

How can we move o/s/r from you to me?  I'm more than happy to pay the delivery costs, would you mind parceling it up and taking to Post Office/TNT/DHL (whichever carrier is nearest and easiest for you)?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Tags: