MR2 Hard Top write off

Started by 2003bluecat, June 8, 2010, 20:58

2003bluecat

Hello!

Just pondering; if an MR2 comes with a factory fitted hard-top, which can't be bought as an after-market extra, and then has an accident involving damaging the hard top beyond repair, would it be written off? There was one for sale near me recently, sold now though, but the seller said it was rolled onto the hard top, only had that and panel damage and was a cat c write off?

Seemed a bit odd so I walked away.

Any thoughts   s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Hard tops can be added to any roadster, whether it came with one or not. A damaged hardtop alone would not write off the car.

2003bluecat

Yeah I know, but if the insurance company was trying to source one and couldn't would it then be written off? Or would they have a look on ebay   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Highly unlikely I'll come across another one like that anyway, it's was cheap for a reason I suppose.

spit

Its an interesting question. If you had to claim for repairs and MrT don't produce hardtops any more, I wonder how the Insurance company would reconcile that? I'd be surprised if they offered you a repair on the car and cash on top to compensate for the fact that they couldn't replace your hardtop on a new-for-old basis   s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

nathanMR2

Being from the insurance field it would be usual for the insurance company to provide the last known manufactures list price for any item which they are unable to obtain. Whether that be a part they don't make or a part that's going to take a loooooonnnng time to obtain. Im sure with some of the older mk3 roadsters it would be possible for the vehicle to become a write off based on the roof alone. It is pretty standard with insurance companies that should the repair or in this case replacement costs exceed 60% of the market value of the vehicle they would total loss the vehicle on the basis it would be uneconomical to repair it.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

onion86

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Im sure with some of the older mk3 roadsters it would be possible for the vehicle to become a write off based on the roof alone.
Especially as I think to buy all the parts for the hardtop from MrT was around the £2.5k mark. that's probably 75% of the value of an early roadster.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

2003bluecat

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"Im sure with some of the older mk3 roadsters it would be possible for the vehicle to become a write off based on the roof alone.
Especially as I think to buy all the parts for the hardtop from MrT was around the £2.5k mark. that's probably 75% of the value of an early roadster.

£2,5k!! I didn't realise they were that much, that would write off some older ones then especially if they write off up to 60% of the value. Plus it'd be difficult to ruin the hard top without causing more damage   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Thanks for the replies, looks like someone got a good bargain!

Tags: