Welding the 2' exhaust

Started by Jap GT300, May 26, 2003, 13:38

Jap GT300

What sort of welder would i need to buy for use on the 2's exhaust system?  The back box is stainless, correct!?!

GSB

Correct, the back box is Stainless Steel. Its actually a sandwich of two layers of stainless, and glass matt in between. You can see pictures of all this here...

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Nov/stockmuffler/stockmuffler.htm

If you're any good at it, then I suspect a TIG welder with the relevant grade of filler rod would be the best bet for both strength and looks, although I believe it can be done with a MIG if you use a stainless wire reel. I take it you are going to try and salvage the inlet/outlet pipes and brackets and weld them to something a little more free-flowing? Let us know how you get on...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

I was actually going to investigate the possibility for turning the standard box into a twin.  I know it has been done on the GTS!

I have been advised to use a mig welder!  Or a dual gas setup.  
If the twin pipe setup doesn't work then I may try taking the inlet/outlet and adding a straight pipe or small glass pack.

My Idea was to cut a whole in the opposite side of the box to the outlet and slide a pipe through, weld it secure and angular the second outlet to a twin position.  As the pipe on a back box is not solid I would have thought it will release as much back pressure as the original.

Adam

GSB

sounds like a reasonable idea, and a very cheap way to a twin exhaust set up as well. By the time the gases get to the right hand end of the can they have been through all the baffles anyway, but still have to reverse back through the silencer to the outlet pipe, so what you are intending to do does make sense. Besides, if you dont like it all you have to do is weld a small patch over the hole you cut and you are back to a standard pipe.

Keep us posted...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

Well I have a spare exhaust from when I put the Team Moon on my last 2', so it doesn't matter if I mess up.

I just have to work on the steady hand for the wealding

Adam

Tags: