Tom's V6 Roadster Build

Started by OlberJ, June 15, 2010, 17:52

Kool PT

I'm not going to get down to Hamilton in time to pick up the car before this weekend when i'm off on holiday for a fortnight so Olie's hopefully going to be able to put a few miles on it and check for probs.

Gutted that I won't get to drive it for nearly 3 more weeks, but when I do it will be so sweet.

Worth noting to anyone following the thread is that the TRD 5 Speed Quick-Shifter, PPE cold air intake and Hayward & Scott twin exit exhaust will all be up for sale.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

OlberJ

It's probably for the best Tom, means we can get it nicely bedded in. Also the wait means the 1st drive will be all the sweeter!

I will have pics and progress report for you 2moro night   s:D :D s:D
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Kool PT

ace! yeah, I couldn't have driven it in italy anyway (or...could I?  s:) :) s:)  nahhh) so it's not like i'll have to put up with another 2 weeks of driving round in 20+ degrees aberdeen in a f*cking hyundai hathback   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Rogue

Quote from: "OlberJ"

Just a quick question on the bar shown in the above photo. Is that bar installed or is it just resting there for photographic purposes? The reason I ask is because as shown it's not connected to anything structural on the chassis, and given that the box section linking the strut towers has been removed there needs to be something added to put the strength back in.

OlberJ

Hi Patrick,

not to worry, there is still more box section to be added which will tie in the struts, that's just the initial placement for the engine lid catch.

Cheers,
Olie
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

Rogue

Quote from: "OlberJ"not to worry, there is still more box section to be added which will tie in the struts, that's just the initial placement for the engine lid catch.

Excellent, it makes more sense when you see what the finished product will look like:

s:D :D s:D

OlberJ

Quite! While we are on the subject, i see in your original one you re-used the original cut-out box section and moved it back partially. Was that strengthened somehow on your own VM180 build or is that the reason you mentioned it here? On my own i considered re-using the original removed part but where it would have been rewelded it didn't feel very solid and there was too much of a gap.

This time it's slightly different again but allows the use of the standard catch et al (Cheers Paul!)

This is now seam sealed and has the lid catch attached :

Access panel cut and new angle frame has been built and cover plate added :

And the heart of the matter, all built back up. The cam covers etc are just placed on for the minute to keep any crap out, they will be fully detailed in Tom's colour scheme of choice. Silver inlet, red cam covers and red and black details. (Excuse the mess in the background, i'm in the process of moving everything about too)

2moro will consist of lots of painting parts. Should have the engine ready to go by the evening. Engine bay will be getting a fresh new coat of 202 black as the standard engine bay paint is piss thin!

As soon as the gearbox arrives that will be painted up, attached and we can get the thing hung. Plumb it, wire it and fit an exhaust, easy as that.   s:D :D s:D

Rogue

Hi Ollie,

Quote from: "OlberJ"Quite! While we are on the subject, i see in your original one you re-used the original cut-out box section and moved it back partially. Was that strengthened somehow on your own VM180 build or is that the reason you mentioned it here? On my own i considered re-using the original removed part but where it would have been rewelded it didn't feel very solid and there was too much of a gap.

Structurally it's fine. The only issue with re-using the original section is the extra time it takes to do it properly, and hence the extra cost. For the VM180 (and the Ferrari replicas we did afterwards) the OE look has been a requirement and so customers have been willing to pay the extra:

For track and race cars where form is less important than function we use two sections of T45 roll cage tubing:

This is a much simpler and cost effective solution. We don't need to worry about fitting the engine bay catch either since the lid is secured by bonnet pins.

Kool PT

olie a couple of questions, does the stock ecu from the camry expect 'super' or regular unleaded?

another one, how high does the 1mz rev to and is any adjustment needed for the rev meter?

cheers dude

OlberJ

Apologies for not updating the thread. Things have dragged in a fair bit, unfortunately been waiting for some parts which is holding things up.

The engine is all built up and looking spangly :

Gearbox too :

As soon as the clutch arrives (has to be special ordered from manufacturer as it's a hybrid) then the lot can go in the waiting bay and we can get this on the road!

Tom, the car runs fine on unleaded, it's a UK car the engine came from. You get better mileage from the Super unleaded but don't worry about being caught short.

Standard the engine revs to 6,600rpm. Which doesn't sound a lot on paper but does when it's right behind your head.

The rev counter works exactly as it should, the reason for this is that the dash runs on can bus, which is fed from the 1zz ECU, this stays with the conversion. We feed the V6 rev signal to the 1zz ECU and this feeds it to the dash so it reads 100% bob on. Unlike the Mk1/2 tacho boards which need modifying.

Hopefully get the final parts in to us in the next few days and progress will begin again in earnest.

OlberJ

Little update.

Decided today that the clearance from radiator to firewall was just too tight so rather than risk vibration transfer and knocking we dropped the engine back out and relieved the firewall a touch more. You need to get a good balance between clearance and the storage bins still being able to fit so it's always a little trial and error.

Engine is now back in for the last time. Couple of bits to arrive and we can get this one done and dusted. Poor Tom has been itching to drive this but the wait will be worth it.

OlberJ

Fun and games with the MOT test man and engine swap testing at the minute. Should be sorted on Monday now though.

Quick shot of the twins :

and a little vid of how she sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMz51Q0XnQ

E

Do we have any update on this build, does Tom have his car back and if so any comments, how is it running.

nads1978

**EDIT** No I don't, it is a similar one!

Hi, I now own this MR2.
Can anyone tell from the engine pics, what type of A/C compressor would fit. I'm told that the Camry has a few types.

loadswine

I'm guessing you have a fair bit of work ahead of you. Glad its going to be rescued though. The Roadster one should fit with a bit of fettling to the mount bracket.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

nads1978

Quote from: "loadswine"I'm guessing you have a fair bit of work ahead of you

So far I have fitted new BC Coilovers, drop links, and am looking around for all 4 calipers and braided hoses. I want the AC working, which looks to be complete with the exception of the compressor, and the 2 hoses that should connect to it (been cut off). Other than that, there isn't much that looks like it requires attention.

Quote from: "loadswine"The Roadster one should fit with a bit of fettling to the mount bracket.
Fettling is something I'm competent at!

Anonymous

If you want a roady ac I got one with an old engine buy years ago that been kicking about for ages that your more than welcome to collect and have if you want it.

Tags: