Why a MR2 over a MX5?

Started by Andy_Foz, June 25, 2010, 19:30

Andy_Foz

Just something Ive been mulling over...

After another MR2 Roadster (had a MR-S previously) and have been considering a MX5 mk2. Both cars are 1800ccs, similar power, similar driving style (Well, both RWD 2 seater convertibles) and similarly priced.

Just wondered if anyone had driven a mk2 MX5 and if so, what are they like? They look more practical for sure with a boot at least. I prefer the looks of the Toyota but wondered if there are any pros and cons im missing?

Thanks
Andy

onion86

Other than that mx-5s are common as muck and I think about 9.5s 0-60 on the 1.8 MX-5 vs 7.7s on the MR2, slightly less bhp and similar torque... as I've not driven one I'd say the main difference would be FR vs MR would make them quite a bit different to drive? I think the boot space would come as a nice luxury but might not make up for the engine being in the wrong place.

I remember Liz having one as a courtesy car last year and saying how horrible and dog slow it was compared to her (now ex) 2, I think that was comparing it to pre-turbo.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

jonfy

Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Just something Ive been mulling over...

After another MR2 Roadster (had a MR-S previously) and have been considering a MX5 mk2. Both cars are 1800ccs, similar power, similar driving style (Well, both RWD 2 seater convertibles) and similarly priced.

Just wondered if anyone had driven a mk2 MX5 and if so, what are they like? They look more practical for sure with a boot at least. I prefer the looks of the Toyota but wondered if there are any pros and cons Im missing?

Thanks
Andy

I have driven a very early MX5, i think it was on a J plate and it was a 1600.TBH it was a real hoot, slow but very controllable and good fun, just as a modestly powered sports car should be but i wouldn't compare it to the two.The later ones Vs the two is more of an equal comparrison (driven a colleagues Mk2.5 1800 sport  ) .
After driving them more or less back to back my conclusions would be
The two is a quicker car in most situations, however it was a dry sunny day.
The two felt much more focused when pushing on, MX5 started to break away earlier on a roundabout than the two did (not betting on which is easier to catch though if you get it Pete Tong !)
About the same build quality, both have  plus and minus points.
MX as common as muck, at least 10 where i work and only two MR'2

I am not a MX basher, i like them because if it  wasn't for the MX would there be the MR2 Roadster ? Would i have one over the MR2 ?   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   no chance   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

stargazer30

Also since the MX5 is FR theres less room in it as you have a drive axle down the middle to cover up.  It was a bit of squeeze for my not so slim 6ft 2" frame as I recal lol.  Agree with what's been said so far the MX5 is slower than the MR2 due to the extra weight, unless you get the new 158ish BHP 2L version I guess.

I think the MX5 has a more girlie image than the MR2?  Maybe just a little.  Having said that they are still cracking cars IMO
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Anonymous

If you've already had an MR2, then I'd definitely go for the MX-5.

Andy_Foz

Thanks for the honest opinions, guys. I think Im going to stay with the MR2. Hopefully looking at one on Monday night if all goes to plan. Cant wait to get back into a fun car, I really cant!

Andy

Goeman

MR2's are faster and the more leg and head room for the big fellas.

MX5 is more fun, more practical, has a wealth of cheap OEM and aftermarket parts available, easily tunes/modified and because they're common as muck there is more advice/knowledge than anyone could possibly absorb. Although they are slower I like the engines in MX5's more. If you fit in one comfortably then get an MX5.
Russell

OlberJ

I've purchased 3 mk1 Mx5's for different girlfriends over the years.

Great cars. But only for the weekend   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "OlberJ"I've purchased 3 mk1 Mx5's for different girlfriends over the years.

Great cars. But only for the weekend   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

To be fair, I don't need speed from a car, just want a fun drive. Got a sensible car for practicality and a Motorbike for commuting and speed that no car this side of £50k could match!

Andy

DannyN

Quote from: "OlberJ"I've purchased 3 mk1 Mx5's for different girlfriends over the years.

Great rides. But only for the weekend   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

frogger

Quote from: "DannyN"

Great rides. But only for the weekend   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  nice edit

cclarke99

I drove both an MX-5 and an MR2 and the clincher for me was that the MX-5 engine was a bit gutless. MR2 handling is a lot more "interesting", but the MX-5 is obviously more practical, other than that there's not much in it, so that I'd agree with Dan M, if you already owned one then try the other.

sonixtorm

Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Just something Ive been mulling over...
Just wondered if anyone had driven a mk2 MX5 and if so, what are they like? They look more practical for sure with a boot at least. I prefer the looks of the Toyota but wondered if there are any pros and cons Im missing?

I had a MK2 MX-5 for around three years prior to buying the MR2 last year (having had a couple of MK2 MR2s before that). My MX-5 was the pre-facelift 140bhp, which is probably the best MK2 to have. The 1800 in the MX-5 is very tractable, but feels a bit lazy. I wouldn't say mine was much slower than the MR2, but it felt less sporty to drive.

The MX-5 boot is nowhere near as big as it looks from the outside - I could probably cram as much into the '2, although I suppose the shape of the space is a bit more practical. If you are going to buy an MX-5 look out for any signs of rust on the sills in front of the rear wheels - it's the only thing that tends to go wrong with an otherwise bulletproof car.

On paper, the MX-5 looks like the one to have, but I much prefer the MR2; it's more fun to drive, and I guess I just like the slightly quirky nature of MR2s  s:) :) s:)

freak_in_cage

MX5

Pro

Common (but for good reason.....)
Gearbox is a peach!   s8) 8) s8)  
Conventional boot
Nice looks
Forgiving handing- can drift it and power over steer (both in low traction situations of course). As a result you can drive it at 9/10ths safely.

Con

Engine (1.8 Mk 2) felt a bit gutless to me. No real engine character- like its the engine from a super mini just plonked into another car.
Lower cornering limits
Not as quick
Not as sharp

MR2

Pro

Faster straight line- or at least the engine characteristic makes it feel faster
More nimble and agile
Higher cornering limits
Good steering feel and very pointy front end

Con

Less practical
less forgiving on the limit
Doesn't look as nice IMO
Cant drive at 9/10ths in the same level of safety as you can the MX5, so, on a public road, its not as fun. Having said that, the mr2 at 8/10 is prob as quick as the mx5 at 9/10ths

Tags: