3 year discs

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2010, 14:02

Anonymous

Well, as some of you know I had a rear calliper seize and needed to replace the O/S/R disc, as it happens the other side was just as seized but hadn't worn metal to metal.

I decided that I might as well replace the whole lot while I was at it even though the front's didn't look too bad.........Or so I thought   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

To be honest I would have got away with just pads on the rears as the discs weren't that bad, the mild scouring on O/S/R wouldn't have mattered, the front was a different story, once I actually removed them I was shocked (but not surprised) how bad they were.

FRONT OF DISC (Not too bad)

REAR OF DISC   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Before doing this I thought I would be needing new handbrake cables as they had been adjusted to the max and were just holding, since freeing off the rear sliders and re-assembly it now has tons of adjustment left and feels as good as new   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Les

dbrown

mine did exactly the same
changed both front and rear and the rears were both worn fairly evenly
the fronts had a good bit left on the outside pads
but just about metal to metal on the inside ones on both sides   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"

nathanMR2

I had exactly the same problem les. Its shocking actually how bad the insides can get. Worth people checking if your discs have been on the car for a while
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Jaik

Mine were the same, outsides looked fine both on the discs and the pads, but the insides were shot.

Goeman

My discs from October last year. Very difficult to spot because the fronts of the discs were in excellent condition. The one on the right only had about 40% of it's back surface in use.
Russell

Two's Company

My fronts exactly the same.  Less than 50% worn on outside pad and down to the metal on the inside! The outside of the rears look ok so I hope they are wearing more evenly.

StuM

While we're comparing disc horrors, here were mine that caused MOT failure:

As with others, the front looked great and there was no noise or obvious loss of performance.  The pads had shaped perfectly to the grooves on the back of the disc!

I replaced with EBC discs but then sold the car, so will never know how they held up compared to OEM!

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Tags: