18" wheels

Started by dixiedave90, July 30, 2010, 14:22

dixiedave90

hi im planing on fitting some 18" finichi rimini wheels to my roadster. if anyone has fitted 18s to there 2 was there any issues with arch clearance or scraping or would it be all fine ??
David...
2003 mr2 roadster / pipercross panel filter with custom intake piping / custom twin exit longlife exhaust made by ice direct / in car dvd / colour codeing all round / trd spoiler added / hid 6000K with led side and number plate bulbs / front bumper weight saving due to hitting a hare :S

Anonymous

It'll look like a rollerskate and you'll have the crashiest ride you can possibly imagine. You'll also have to take a heat gun to the arch linings too.

markiii

indeed

if you want to make it handle crap and look gash, go ahead
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Saying that, they will fit with a bit of inner arch heating.
Which was your original question.

dixiedave90

if by making them 17" all round would that make more sence and not look like a rollerskate i'll be fitting some bc racing coilovers and some stretched tires to try and get that euro look which i think would be something diffrent.  =]
David...
2003 mr2 roadster / pipercross panel filter with custom intake piping / custom twin exit longlife exhaust made by ice direct / in car dvd / colour codeing all round / trd spoiler added / hid 6000K with led side and number plate bulbs / front bumper weight saving due to hitting a hare :S

uktotty

what the hell are stretched tyres (tires) ??

scottish_turbo

Quote from: "uktotty"what the hell are stretched tyres (tires) ??

Check the TT below and look how the tyres are stretched to fit on to the wheels.

Quote from: "dixiedave90"if by making them 17" all round would that make more sence and not look like a rollerskate i'll be fitting some bc racing coilovers and some stretched tires to try and get that euro look which i think would be something diffrent.  =]

If this is the look you want you will need to take some measurements and spec this up yourself. As far as I'm aware this has never been done on a roadster in the club before. If it is what you are after get some ideas on stanceworks.com for wheels, widths, tyres etc. This will completely change how your car will drive and handle.  

uktotty

What a completely stupid idea and dangerous!!

And the award for top numpty goes to the VW

dj2k21

If your planning on fitting a wide body and things then a nice wide rear set of wheels and slightly narrower fronts are the way forward... always keep them staggared otherwise you will ruin it, I would say 17 is the max size you should go, I know my roadster has 18" wheels on, but the wide body and teins and the fact there dished wheels make them look smaller, and mine is normally just for show use. I think if you want a euro style car, dont buy a jap car lol, trade it in for a TT or something.

stretched rubber is very very dangerous indeed, I have seen one or 2 cars round here with that set up, and as soon as you show them any type of corner the tyre pulls off the rim!

toyota in my eyes manufacture the car with 15" front and 16" rear for a reason..... it's the best set-up ofcourse, for those on a pre facelift, they thought at the time 15" was best but after more research deemed it better to change the size I guess.

bit like subaru, despite offering the P1 Pro-drive package as an extra which includes 18" wheels, even subaru themselves acknowledge that the owner should stick with the standard 17" wheels if they intent to use the impreza "for purpose" as they say.

just my 2p worth though, each to their own  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

cclarke99

Please don't do it to a Roadster, in standard trim the car has perfect balance and messing around with the wheels like that will, I'm sure, spoil it completely. There are plenty of other cars with "average" handling (like the TT) where it won't matter so much

Andy_Foz

Oh give the guy a break you bunch of old fogies!

If he wants a show car and has picked a MR2 roadster as a base, then whats the harm?! It wont affect the handling of your car, so leave him to it!

Andy

Wabbitkilla

This is going to happen more often guys, the car is coming into that affordable bracket where people tinker a bit more.
18's are probably impractical from a driving point of view, but if the OP wants a show car and do the over-stretching thing with the tyres then let him, then I'm sure we'd like to see the results. (Ok we'd be morbidly curious, but if that's his cup of tea, who are we to argue   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Is this for a showcar?

Man i gotta get me some of dem stretchy tires for ma motta, dey look wicked man, dey da bizness.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dixiedave90"if by making them 17" all round would that make more sence and not look like a rollerskate i'll be fitting some bc racing coilovers and some stretched tires to try and get that euro look which i think would be something diffrent.  =]
Different doesn't mean better. By all means do what you want with your car, but I really wouldn't expect too many fans on here. Try the OC for a more 'out there' attitude.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dj2k21"If your planning on fitting a wide body and things then a nice wide rear set of wheels and slightly narrower fronts are the way forward... always keep them staggared otherwise you will ruin it, I would say 17 is the max size you should go, I know my roadster has 18" wheels on, but the wide body and teins and the fact there dished wheels make them look smaller, and mine is normally just for show use. I think if you want a euro style car, dont buy a jap car lol, trade it in for a TT or something.

stretched rubber is very very dangerous indeed, I have seen one or 2 cars round here with that set up, and as soon as you show them any type of corner the tyre pulls off the rim!

toyota in my eyes manufacture the car with 15" front and 16" rear for a reason..... it's the best set-up ofcourse, for those on a pre facelift, they thought at the time 15" was best but after more research deemed it better to change the size I guess.

bit like subaru, despite offering the P1 Pro-drive package as an extra which includes 18" wheels, even subaru themselves acknowledge that the owner should stick with the standard 17" wheels if they intent to use the impreza "for purpose" as they say.

u have any picture?

markiii

Quote from: "nelix"Is this for a showcar?

Man i gotta get me some of dem stretchy tires for my motta, dey look wicked man, dey da bizness.

they look even better updside down in teh ditch when teh tyre collapses off teh wheel because you ignored teh manufactureres specs on what size wheel to fit them onto.

common sense in short supply again
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Like I said, not practical if you want to enjoy the car for it's drive .... but then there are people who do nothing but "show" their cars.

For me, I prefer the car to handle as best as possible.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

FGrob

I suppose this is the point when you have to accept a split in peoples attitude towards owning an MR2 and what turns them on, for me the 2 looks great in a reasonable standard form and I think you can still have a show car, which turns heads, and still run it as it is ment to be - even tracking   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If this club wants to survive you will need to embrace this new cluture, if you don't then it will just spiral into nothing, as old members disappear, well sometimes, you need to encourage new blood to come along and keep the interest going, which this club does not do very well at all.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

Depends on what you want the club to be really: Large Max Power style, or smaller Evo style. We've never been the biggest club around, but what we've always had is a solid hardcore membership set of maybe 20-30 people. That really hasn't changed at all over the years number wise, although people have obviously come and gone.

markiii

Quote from: "FGrob"I suppose this is the point when you have to accept a split in peoples attitude towards owning an MR2 and what turns them on, for me the 2 looks great in a reasonable standard form and I think you can still have a show car, which turns heads, and still run it as it is ment to be - even tracking   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If this club wants to survive you will need to embrace this new cluture, if you don't then it will just spiral into nothing, as old members disappear, well sometimes, you need to encourage new blood to come along and keep the interest going, which this club does not do very well at all.

Rob.

not going to change my opinions just to keep people happy Rob, and I doubt you are either  :-) :-) :-)

by all means do what you like to your own car, but if other people consider it silly, fugly, dangerous e.t.c, you have to be prepared to hear things you don't like.

and whichever way you cut it, stretched tyres are dangerous, so unless said show car gets trailered everywhere it will be on teh road at some point putting everyone at risk when it goes wrong.

I don't consider keeping quiet about things like that a price worth paying just for a larger membership demographic.

Wabbitkilla

I think we have room for everyone, we're not all going to enjoy the same things but I suppose life is like that.
Hey we even have Datsun drivers as members (only jesting Dan, it's a great car and I like it too   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

Nice to have a mix of purists and those willing to experiment with the look of the car.
Huge wheels isn't my cup of tea, body kits do nothing for me either but I think Ilogiks car look great.
I don't think we're in danger of turning into a Max Power haven there's just not enough room for those thundering bass drivers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I have t add though that if the car is going to be a regular driver I wouldn't condone stretched tyres on it at all, they are unsafe!
I don't think we have to fall out about it, but it worries me what the insurance implications are ... they can't be easily explained away if you have an accident (God forbid). Mind you can see I've got mixed feelings about it myself ... I love this little car for the driving experience as well as the looks, that's what the car is about for me. To sacrifice it's drive-ability in the name of looking "bling" doesn't make any sense to me but hey, knock yourself out if that's your thing - just do it safely eh? Turning the car into pretending something it's not (DNA360 et al) is just plain daft imho, but I admire the work that goes into it.

Maybe we're all just being a bit over sensitive? There's no need to be, the OP asked a question and I think they've now got a pretty good picture of peoples' feelings. I for one wouldn't do it ... neither would anyone else who's responded - that really speaks volumes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dj2k21

Quote from: "blackskylinegtr"
Quote from: "dj2k21"If your planning on fitting a wide body and things then a nice wide rear set of wheels and slightly narrower fronts are the way forward... always keep them staggared otherwise you will ruin it, I would say 17 is the max size you should go, I know my roadster has 18" wheels on, but the wide body and teins and the fact there dished wheels make them look smaller, and mine is normally just for show use. I think if you want a euro style car, dont buy a jap car lol, trade it in for a TT or something.

u have any picture?

Well what do you want a picture of? a car with its tyre ripped off, a subaru with a pro-drive package, or a picture of a widebody mr2? or mine? lol  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Patch

My car has got 17's all round.  Wider at the back.  I wouldn't go any bigger than 17's.  I do get some scraping on the wheel arches on tight bends, though.  (My '2 is lowered, so you might get away with it if your shocks are stock...)

dixiedave90

ill have to play round for a bit when the coilovers arive but for now the stock parts are on the car.
David...

Wabbitkilla

Actually considering you are spending money on performance suspension ... then you more than destroy the advantages of that suspension with oversized wheels and under sized tyres. What's the point?

Tags: