18" wheels

Started by dixiedave90, July 30, 2010, 14:22

scottish_turbo

Quote from: "dixiedave90"ill have to play round for a bit when the coilovers arive but for now the stock parts are on the car.

How low do you want to go? I have had several modified golfs so I always think of stretched tyres and wide wheels on them but there are some very nice Japanese cars sporting this look nowadays.

Anonymous

Nice to some, rice to others.

scipio

Quote from: "Dan M"Depends on what you want the club to be really: Large Max Power style, or smaller Evo style. We've never been the biggest club around, but what we've always had is a solid hardcore membership set of maybe 20-30 people. That really hasn't changed at all over the years number wise, although people have obviously come and gone.

to continue this little thread on club membership......to me, sitting here in South Africa, a million miles away from you guys, it's reassuring to know that there are other like-minded people out there...people who love their MR2's and who share information.....it's a tribute to a great car.
Club members will always come and go but you will have that hardcore group and they carry it in the end of the day...new members should always be encouraged but having said that, it's also for us to air our opinions...generally I've found the banter constructive and you can be sure, I log on daily. I have learned a lot about my car and it's all because of this Club - I am sure there are loads of other people in other countries out there just like me....Long live MR2-ROC!
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "scipio"
Quote from: "Dan M"Depends on what you want the club to be really: Large Max Power style, or smaller Evo style. We've never been the biggest club around, but what we've always had is a solid hardcore membership set of maybe 20-30 people. That really hasn't changed at all over the years number wise, although people have obviously come and gone.

to continue this little thread on club membership......to me, sitting here in South Africa, a million miles away from you guys, it's reassuring to know that there are other like-minded people out there...people who love their MR2's and who share information.....it's a tribute to a great car.
Club members will always come and go but you will have that hardcore group and they carry it in the end of the day...new members should always be encouraged but having said that, it's also for us to air our opinions...generally I've found the banter constructive and you can be sure, I log on daily. I have learned a lot about my car and it's all because of this Club - I am sure there are loads of other people in other countries out there just like me....Long live MR2-ROC!

Surprisingly enough i agree  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Time and time again we have seen that it is a hardcore of members who keep this club alive. Some noobs will become part of this, but the vast majority will fade away, or only post when they require help.
Offhand i can think of 4 members i have taken time to meet and resolve problems for who have quite simply either never posted again or only posted asking for more help.
Some of us have been castigated for showing perhaps too much passion for the club, but at the end of the day without passionate, active members this would not be a club.

Patch

I love that Nissan.  It's the only car I'd swap my '2 for.  And then ONLY if it was a soft top 350Z...

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "nelix"Surprisingly enough i agree  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Time and time again we have seen that it is a hardcore of members who keep this club alive. Some noobs will become part of this, but the vast majority will fade away, or only post when they require help.
Offhand i can think of 4 members i have taken time to meet and resolve problems for who have quite simply either never posted again or only posted asking for more help.
Some of us have been castigated for showing perhaps too much passion for the club, but at the end of the day without passionate, active members this would not be a club.

A bit of a drift off topic but....
There will always be a hardcore of members who keep the place going.
We should really welcome new blood and encourage them, some will stay and most will pass by on their way to other cars and clubs.
Even in the core peoples' lives change, jobs change, families started and they drift off, seen it before but without new blood a club will whither and die (I have seen this from my bike club days).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

scottish_turbo

This thread may be of interest to you. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8283

and another pic..

dixiedave90

thats one sweet mk2        looks great  i guess the stance of that mk2 is kind of what im going for on mine.
David...
2003 mr2 roadster / pipercross panel filter with custom intake piping / custom twin exit longlife exhaust made by ice direct / in car dvd / colour codeing all round / trd spoiler added / hid 6000K with led side and number plate bulbs / front bumper weight saving due to hitting a hare :S

dixiedave90

dose anyone have any pics of a mr2 roadster fitted with rota gtr drift wheels or finchi rimini r1 thanks
David...
2003 mr2 roadster / pipercross panel filter with custom intake piping / custom twin exit longlife exhaust made by ice direct / in car dvd / colour codeing all round / trd spoiler added / hid 6000K with led side and number plate bulbs / front bumper weight saving due to hitting a hare :S

sarah86

Hey, Ive been thinking of getting new alloys recently and have been looking at 18inch to make the most impact. I'm guessing after reading this thread it isn't a good idea though. Is it possible to have 18 at back and 17 at front or will it effect handling severely. Its looking pretty likely i'm going to avoid the 18's so should i go 17's all round or 17 on back and 16 on front???

Any ideas would be much appreciated xx

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Dan M"although people have obviously come and gone.
and come again in your case Dan   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

frogger

QuoteHey, Ive been thinking of getting new alloys recently and have been looking at 18inch to make the most impact. I'm guessing after reading this thread it isn't a good idea though. Is it possible to have 18 at back and 17 at front or will it effect handling severely. Its looking pretty likely i'm going to avoid the 18's so should i go 17's all round or 17 on back and 16 on front???

Any ideas would be much appreciated xx

Its certainly easier to purchase the same size all round as thats what 95% of the 4 wheel 'package deals' are available as.

Given your question about larger backs than fronts - I'm assuming you have the facelift roadster (which has 16" rear and 15" front) as opposed to the original roadster (which had 15" all round)??

On a car like the roadster I would say you lose more and more of the great handling characteristics as you go over 16".

Therefore my recommendation would be for 16" all round, for two reasons (1) Nice and easy to buy a set of 4 and (2) maintains great handling.

Maintain tyre stagger whatever size you go with (providing you don't want to the car to oversteer in a sharper manner than before).
Having a wider width rim (not necesserily wider diameter) is helpful in achieving this - but then you're back to non-matching set of 4 unfortunately!

The following link has many peoples choices listed (with pictures) and may help in your decision.

l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9911 l

But yeah, 16" all round has my vote.  s8) 8) s8)

kentsmudger

Quote from: "markiii"by all means do what you like to your own car, but if other people consider it silly, fugly, dangerous e.t.c, you have to be prepared to hear things you don't like.

and whichever way you cut it, stretched tyres are dangerous, so unless said show car gets trailered everywhere it will be on the road at some point putting everyone at risk when it goes wrong.

I don't consider keeping quiet about things like that a price worth paying just for a larger membership demographic.

What he said - This club has a good number of knowledgeable experienced owners that have useful information to share, this is one of the main selling points of an owners' club.

This is not about differing tastes or putting off potential owners. New members asking about questionable or dangerous mods should be corrected before they get the spanners anywhere near the car for their own safety and the safety of other road users.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

toymrs

Quote from: "dixiedave90"hi Im planing on fitting some 18" finichi rimini wheels to my roadster. if anyone has fitted 18s to there 2 was there any issues with arch clearance or scraping or would it be all fine ??

My car came with 18's when i bought it. Wheels are 18x7.5 +42 with 215/35 tires.

Before

After

onion86

I like the look of that with the bodykit; did definitely look like a rollerskate before though.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dubs

i've never understood the whole rollerskate thing.  I used to work at a Rollerskating rink when I was younger and i've never seen rollerskates with 18" alloys
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

dubs

oh and I forgot to say, that Silver 2 above me.  That looks great.
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

Anonymous

That ride is awesome. Hey buddy that is a TOP Secret full kit correct? Can you point me to the direction which you got it from? Quite a few sites have the TOP Secret kit however they come with TRD lookalike skirts.

Quote from: "toymrs"
Quote from: "dixiedave90"hi Im planing on fitting some 18" finichi rimini wheels to my roadster. if anyone has fitted 18s to there 2 was there any issues with arch clearance or scraping or would it be all fine ??

My car came with 18's when i bought it. Wheels are 18x7.5 +42 with 215/35 tires.

Before

After

toymrs

Quote from: "MRS_SG"That ride is awesome. Hey buddy that is a TOP Secret full kit correct? Can you point me to the direction which you got it from? Quite a few sites have the TOP Secret kit however they come with TRD lookalike skirts.

Thanks. I had the rear skirts fabricated to match the kit. The front bumper is a Top Secret copy which I bought in Hong Kong for cheap. The original bumper is too expensive to ship to the Philippines. The side skirts are original Amuse side skirts.

Here's another view of the rear skirt.

Back on topic. I haven't driven a Spyder with stock wheels yet. There aren't that many Spyders from where I'm from... Anyway, I'm planning on switching to 17s. Probably getting light weight volk racing wheels.

dixiedave90

thats one sweet mr2 m8 think a spoiler would finish it off nicely though  s:) :) s:)
David...

s12vea

Kit looks perfect and the wheels really suit the car!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

toymrs

Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for the TRD wing to get painted. It will probably be installed this week. The hardtop is also on its way...

Tags: