Getting chip and ecu remap

Started by stufo, August 3, 2010, 18:38

stufo

Hey, after my engine packed in I decided to get a new one. I'm now looking to get it chipped/ remapped. I just wondered if anyone has had it done and how much bhp it will add to the car, also the cost overall. its just the standard 1.8 vvti
cheers.

loadswine

You can't have the stock ecu chipped or remapped I'm afraid. If you want more oomph, its engine mods, standalone or piggyback ecu or even a swap for a more powerful engine type.
Have a search around and see if you can find a route to suit you.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

stufo

how much power does a piggybank add?

Anonymous

Quote from: "stufo"how much power does a piggybank add?

None, thats a childs toy for saving coins.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

This one should add some serious HP.

frogger

Quote from: "stufo"how much power does a piggybank add?

all depends on how commited you are to the contributions...

stufo

haha funny guys, u know what I meant! that was a typing error! so will the piggyback add much at all??

Anonymous

Seemingly the new V6 piggybank is awesome.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Do a search for unichip. Come up on here from time to time for sale.

uktotty

If you are going V6 you need this one

nathanMR2

If you take a look here mate it should give you an idea

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27521 l
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

charl1ey

Hi

I've got full cross underbrace, front under brace and top mount brace. I've got some BC coil overs.

I've decatted my manifold, installed a PPE cold air intake and got a Cobra Quad exit exhaust.

Have I got enough suitable mods to make fitting a chip worthwhile? Would I see many more performance gains in torque through the range or and shavings off my 0-60 at all or increased BHP.

I've read a fair bit but am confused as to wether it's worth getting a chip or not and indeed if I do which one.

Can't seem to find any definitive answer on what the best thing to do would be.

Any direction much appreciated!
Driving my 2 is the most fun you can have... with your pants on.
\'Giggity Giggity - allll right!\'

nathanMR2

You cant 'chip' the MR2 ECU. You will require a replacement ECU (something like an Apexi Power FC or Link) which will allow tuning; however you are likely to lose the stock immobiliser by doing so.

The cheaper option is to get a piggyback ECU (something like a Emanage or Unichip) that sits between the car and the stock ECU. This will then require a remap.

Personal I wouldn't suggest its worth it without it being combined with other mods such as an exhaust, air filter and manifold upgrade which you have started doing already.

However you need to consider that the remap alone is likely to cost in the region of £250+ VAT and then another £150ish for a second hand piggy back ECU. Then you are only looking at getting an additional 25bhp with all the mods done.

I probably spent over £1000 to get a power output of 163bhp. It was only 12 months or so before I sold all those mods and went turbo
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

kostonhumar

interesting read, always a bit dubious about  asking about ecu's and chipping as I feel like im running before walking. I really want to chip my 1zz as I got a unichip recently but then decided to go 2zz so it would seem silly to chip the 1zz...  s:( :( s:(

check ebay for unichips I picked mine up for £75 sometimes if you offer them cash they snap it up!
I like it sideways!!

Mr2-s 1999 stock (For now!!!)  :?
Pug 106 ralle   8)

kostonhumar

Sorry guy's i want to hijack this thread a little but, but can you wire a unichip without the P&P
I like it sideways!!

Pug 106 ralle   8)

JoeCool

Quote from: "kostonhumar"Sorry guy's i want to hijack this thread a little but, but can you wire a unichip without the P&P
You could, but you'd need the plugs to hook up to the Unichip, and then pin out diagrams for the Stock loom... it's going to get VERY messy and be a wiring nightmare. No Auto electrician would do it, so you shouldn't attempt it either! The joy of things like Unichips is you plug them in, have a play, then you can pull them out without leaving the car chopped to bits.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

kostonhumar

Ugh need to by p&p harness... What they going for now a days  s:( :( s:(
I like it sideways!!

Pug 106 ralle   8)

GSB

The plug and play harness wasn't always available, and isn't nessesarily required. If I recall correctly, when I did the first Unichip group buy (about ten years ago now!) the plug and play harnesses were only available from Unichip USA, where they were a relatively recent innovation. Until then, all unichips were soldered in by the tuner.

The plug and play was favourable because it enabled you to remove the Unichip without trace, essential when these cars were still in warranty. Obviously that's not been an issue for a long time now!

As I recall I picked up a healthy boost to 160bhp with a decat manifold and a Hayward & Scott exhaust.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

kostonhumar

Ooo very informative I have a standard mani with k&n 57i induction and nur spec s exhaust. Not sure what il be looking at for that lol
I like it sideways!!

Pug 106 ralle   8)

Tags: