Anyone's insurance gone up recently?

Started by Jaik, August 4, 2010, 19:36

Jaik

My insurance is due for renewal at the end of the month so I've been getting a few quick starter-for-10 quotes on the comparison sites. I've not had any accidents, got any points etc since last year, just an extra year of NCB, driving experience and MR2 ownership. With the mods declared the best quote I've had is nearly double what I paid last year! I got a quote without mods to see where I stand and even that had increased by around 20%.

If I can't get some seriously better quotes it's going to be the end of the road for my MR2 experience, I could just about stomach the insurance up to now, but it's just not worth paying any more.

Has anyone else noticed the same? I'm wondering if with the very low price of entry into Roadster ownership there have been a lot of youths buying and crashing them in the past year? If you've bought and crashed a Roadster in the past year, you're a ****  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anonymous

Mine has gone up a fraction, but that's the difference between the Mini Cooper (owned for two whole months, before I went mad and changed it) and the '2.

I'm insured with one of the main insurers, who have several different trade names and logos, but are essentially the same company.  Weirdly, I found I could play these insurance companies off against each other, getting cheaper and cheaper quotes.  I'm now paying under £650 p/a, with the mods included.  That's without NCB, as an uninsured idiot smashed my old car to oblivion during the night, then legged it.  Reckon you should always protect your no claims bonus!

Anonymous

My renewal quote was double what I paid last year at nearly a grand for no reason what so ever having gained my 8th years no claims and the car being worth a little less  s:? :? s:?  and most of the best quotes were between £150-200 more than last year but Adrian Flux came through with a quote only slightly higher than last year.  s:D :D s:D

NorthandSouth

My insurance is up for renewal this month too and I have also found that my insurance has gone up considerably. I'm now 52, have full no claims, no accidents, the car is worth less but they want more money than last year....wtf do we have ncb for as it doesnt seem to count!!!!  I'm still getting quotes so not decided who I'm going with as yet   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

FGrob

I renewed mine in June with Flux, only went up about £30, I am on max no claims plus I'm younger than Lynne   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Chris_h

Mine was quite good this year, lots of shopping around though. Then changing from S2000 to civic type r earned me £120 back 4 months into policy  s:) :) s:)  - theoretically should be £330 next year.

But i have heard premiums going up, just keep trying as insurers change their criteria all the time to balance risk portfolio (i.e some may quote better next week if you have a few weeks grace prior to renewal)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

mine went up but that cus i went from a megane to  MR2

onion86

Sky told me in May premiums had gone up by 'up to 20%' from last year but mine 'wasn't that bad'... that was back when they quoted me the £1640.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

JudoKilli

I went from 20 to 21, 1 year ncb, and it dropped to £600!!! Which is a 50% drop! I swear there must be a glitch in whatever system they use! So no, no insurance hike for me!

Jaik

I'm wondering what kind of postcodes you folk live in, I'm in a Manchester postcode area so maybe they've hiked certain areas (eg. inner cities) more than others?

Wabbitkilla

Not just inner cities Jaik, going from experience of my insurance over the years it just goes up & up.
Northern people seem affected more than others .... but maybe that's because I know more Northern people due to living in the North   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jaik

Well it's been steadily coming down for me over the years as I've become "less young" and an old accident has faded into the distant past, but for my premium to double is just insane.

Oddly Sainsbury's seem to be able to do amazing deals on standard cars, fully comp they come in under half the price of anyone else on the comparison sites for me. I'll give them a ring and ask about modifications, but I fear I know what the answer will be.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jaik"Oddly Sainsbury's seem to be able to do amazing deals on standard cars, fully comp they come in under half the price of anyone else on the comparison sites for me. I'll give them a ring and ask about modifications, but I fear I know what the answer will be.

It ASDA be no, lol

uktotty

Mine went up 50% with E-Car so I shopped around and got it at LESS than last years premium with Admiral.
You need to shop around and play one off against the others

skyinsurance

yes, renewals have crept up a fair bit this year and there has been a fair amount of coverarage in the media about it.

If you shop around you should be able to get your price down a bit, feel free to try my company, we offer a discount to ROC members so please mention the club if you call us, tel: 0208 3645500

Thanks
Contact us:

TEL: 03303 331250
WEB: www.skyinsurance.co.uk
EMAIL: http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/blog/

YOU CAN ALSO SEND US A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

creamykiwi

hmm, this is a discussion that makes me nervous, mine's up for renewal in December and I'm terrified that having moved and with premiums rising, I won't actually be be able to afford/justify paying it... but neither could I go back to driving a normal car after the 2, so I'm screwed either way  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

However, definitely worth shopping around, when I bought my car I got the premium down from over a grand to £514  s:D :D s:D

JiMR2

On a weird note a few months back my insurance hit the fan;

My insurance with Virgin was voided due to me telling them about my rear spats (under 25 = no mods = no insurance apparently) assumed (stupidly that the spats were just a trim option and therefore wouldnt be an issue?!) Anyways I was paying around £700 pa. They wouldnt touch me, rang Sky and got insured with EVERY THING covered, i mean EVERY THING - for the grand total of about £620!!!!!!! I'm 24 and live in SE London... As you can imagine I was pretty surprised... definately worth a ring to Sky!!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

NorthandSouth

Insurance up for renewal this month.  Have trawled through the comparison websites....what a big difference in them!!!
Have eventually ended up via moneysupermarket with a quote of £337 from LV...lowest one yet and thats paying it in instalments   s:D :D s:D  
That'll do me...they have my details   s:P :P s:P
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

Anonymous

I thought LV stopped covering modified cars last year?

spit

What firms do and don't cover can change with the wind.

Quote from: "NorthandSouth"LV...lowest one yet and thats paying it in instalments

My LV renewal has just gone through - the instalment offer was there but at a ridiculous 24% APR   s:? :? s:?  
Still on the multicar policy but they've agreed to cover just one car. The quote for each car separately was once again twice as much on a single car policy. I guess it depends on the product and what the underwriter is prepared to underwrite against it.

There's little logic in this. Friend of mine in AXA says that - in spite of the impact postcode and driving history - insurance is ultimately a very competitive market, so premiums are primarily defined according to margins, targets and promotions.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Gary Groves

Had my renewal today its gone up, now £286.65 with £34.65 protected no claims

I have gone from a Astra to my first MR2 its worth the extra £100 just for the grin factour  s:D :D s:D

Jaik

Well having been getting quotes and looking at my options, it looks like it's time for me to sell up  s:( :( s:(  It's not all bad though, the car I get next should be something of a giggle, but it's a shame now the car is handling so beautifully.

Anonymous

Going for the Twingo then?

Jaik

Nope  s:D :D s:D

MonkeyMickey

If anyone has more than one car in the house, I thoroughly recommend Admiral's multicar.

My cheapest quote was only £100 cheaper than last year (£890) through Bell (I'm 28 but only been driving a year - the 2 is my first car).

Admiral's Multicar (same company as Bell basically) saved me £200 and my fiancee £150 off of our respective best quotes.

Also, they set the policy up on the first car's renewal date and charge the other car pro-rata when it is actually due, so you don't have to pay for both at once.

Then, both cars will renew on the same day in the future, even if you decide to eventually go elsewhere.

cheers,

Mickey

Tags: