Quick question from prospective mr2 owner

Started by pugboy, August 8, 2010, 18:20

pugboy

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my current 1 series beemer for a convertible and am toying between an MR2 or an MX5. Having previously owned an S2000 and moved to the bee em I'm itching to get back in a rag top, and also downsizing financially to help with house move (hence not another S2k). We have set ourselves a budget of around 6-7k. Both me and the missus prefer the look and image of the MR2, and also think from reading up believe it's the better drivers car. However, we have the obvious concerns over practicality. I know there isn't really a 'boot' as such but am a bit confused about the behind seat storage. I have seen these and they look big enough for a couple of soft bags which is enough for our days out or weekends away, but my question is can you still use this space with the roof down?

Many thanks.

Chris

Anonymous

Hell yes!!

Welcome to the club   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

pugboy

lol! That's my kind of luggage!  s:D :D s:D  

So does that mean you can get a couple of soft bags in still and that it's unaffected by whether hood is up or down?

StuM

Yep, the luggage area is the same size hood up or down.

There are removable side panels too that give a bit of extra width.

Regards,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

tequilla

Yes, the luggage space is not affected by hood up or down.

I don't recommend to transport these kind of luggage on long trips. You'll probably cook all wine, engine is directly behind luggage space. I've allready tried it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
  • Toyota Yaris 1.0 1st gen. alias Hard Worker
  • Toyota MR2 Mark III (black magic) alias B*tch (new short block and many engine parts, new leather seats, new carpets, moded windshield, che\'s header, de-cated downpipe, TRD short shifter, TRD shift knob, Braille racing battery, Tanabe Sustek strut bars, MWR flywheel, JNZ SS brake lines (brake fluid Motul RBF600), darkday\'s frunksaver, dev\'s de-dimplator, minor weight reductions, etc.
  • Second sleeved 1.93l engine in progress for 2010 season...
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser alias my Dream

Wabbitkilla

Yes, it can get a little warm in there   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

But there's plenty of room in the cubbies for a couple of soft bags, and then you have a bit of space in the frunk too.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Welcome to the club
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

muffdan

It is worth noting that you do get more storage space when the roof is up, but most of it is available with the roof down, as can be seen from Les's picture!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

DannyN

Also worth noting that you can get specific bags (come as a set of 3) that are tailored to fir in the cubby hole.
They are great bags and we use ours all the time, even when not in the 2
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

pugboy

Cheers for the welocome and quick replies.

That's not too bad then, so really it's a case of getting some bags that fit, or the custom luggage, and then a little room up front (rucksackish size). And then there is the option of a boot rack I guess too. Just got to remember to put frozen stuff in the footwell!   s:D :D s:D

andywood

Loads of room if you pack sensibly.....

Off for 9days in the alps next weekend and eveything we need will fit just fine in the frunk (with spacesaver still in place) and behind the seats.

Get one and enjoy it.

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

pugboy

ok I'm convinced!  s:D :D s:D  

Now what are the chances that I find one with hard top and a/c with lowish miles in either grey, black or red, that's been well looked after, and the seller is looking for a 3 litre 1 series!   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "pugboy"ok I'm convinced!  s:D :D s:D  

Now what are the chances that I find one with hard top and a/c with lowish miles in either grey, black or red, that's been well looked after, and the seller is looking for a 3 litre 1 series!   s:) :) s:)

I think with your budget you'll have no bother...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Happy motoring!

StephenBennett

I have some MR-2 fitted luggage that I bought from Toyota Germany (not sure if they are still available but looks like they have some http://www.roadtripluggage.com/servlet/the-1/MR2-Spyder-Luggage-Bags/Detail) here which make full use of the behind seat storage. Additionally, if you remover the spare and pack some flat fixer, there's plenty of space in the front - but you need to make sure the luggage there isn't lighter than the spare as handling does suffer.

Regards

Stephen

andywood

Quote from: "StephenBennett"I have some MR-2 fitted luggage that I bought from Toyota Germany (not sure if they are still available but looks like they have some http://www.roadtripluggage.com/servlet/the-1/MR2-Spyder-Luggage-Bags/Detail) here which make full use of the behind seat storage. Additionally, if you remover the spare and pack some flat fixer, there's plenty of space in the front - but you need to make sure the luggage there isn't lighter than the spare as handling does suffer.

Regards

Stephen

There is the problem that flat-fixer is rubbish and can't be relied on for the majority of puncture or blow-out situations! Always carry the spare to be on the safe side and pack lighter!!
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

roger

Welcome - just back from a 10 day French trip, my tribulations are elsewhere, but nothing to worry your questions   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Used the Custom Bags, you can really pack those tight. The roof does intrude into the lockers a bit when its down so unless you have the bags I recommend you don't pack it tight with the roof up.

Had a boot rack for one weather proof suitcase, and turning the spare wheel over (shorter screw required and moving of the alarm), and a small bag in passenger footwell. All in all gave us plenty of packing space for the 10 days with no requirement for washing clothes! 10 pairs socks, 10 pairs undies, 10 shirts etc etc no slumming it for us, or turning undies inside out   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

catkins

I love how no one has commented on the boot space in the MX5.

Has anyone actually checked this out?  I shit you not, there is literally, probably a 2L bottle of soft drink space MORE in the MX than in the cubbies and the frunk in a 2.  Its crap.  I'd rather my MR2!  And at least its not going to whine like a girl at being thrown around corners AND still hold all my luggage for a weekend away!   s;-) ;-) s;-)

The 2 is definitely the way to go!  I like the idea of the custom made cubby bags too!  Where can I get them from?? EDIT:  Oops sorry, just seen the link. TA!

I managed to get a hand luggage sized holdall, a laptop (in a case), and a canvas Bag for Life filled with odds and sods in the cubbies when I went away last week, with space to spare.  Being only 5'4, I also have the advantage of being able to throw my handbag and smaller bags/items behind my drivers seat as its usually pulled forward.

It IS worth noting a SLIGHT reduction in space with the hood down, however, if your bags are soft, rather than hard cases, its not too much of an issue to shove and crumple into the space.  I've not yet had to actually resort to using the frunk   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=150]Clare[/size]

2001 Y reg MR-2, metallic blue.  Owned since March 2010.  Loving every mile!

Wabbitkilla

That's interesting Catkins ... I had no idea of the exact differences between the MX5 and the 2!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

pugboy

Cheers for all the replies, those custom bags look just the ticket...and I should've known better than to ask on a Roadster forum to choose between that and an MX-5  s:D :D s:D  

Now, been scouring the trader/pistonheads/ebay looking for a car that fits the bill, but one thing I'm not sure of, can you retro fit a hardtop to one that didn't come with one from the factory? It's just I can't seem to find the right combination of colour, mileage and air con with a hard top at non silly money.

Cheers fellas

Anonymous

You can retrofit any hardtop to any of the mk3s.

Anonymous

Quote from: "pugboy"can you retro fit a hardtop to one that didn't come with one from the factory? It's just I can't seem to find the right combination of colour, mileage and air con with a hard top at non silly money.
Cheers fellas

That's a really good question that has never been asked before which is why this   l viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13446 l   wouldnt have come up on the search you did but luckily I managed to find some obscure references using odd words like "hard top" and "retro fit" to find the answer you were looking for.
 l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20451&p=253081&hilit=hard+top+retro+fit#p253081 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21883&p=272016&hilit=hard+top+retro+fit#p272016 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22479&p=279959&hilit=hard+top+retro+fit#p279959 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3931&p=49665&hilit=hard+top+retro+fit#p49665 l

Anonymous

Byran, you are making me look good here m8.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

What? I'm being nice and helpful posting up the answer he was looking for.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

pugboy

Quote from: "life of bryan"What? I'm being nice and helpful posting up the answer he was looking for.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ok ok, yeah it was a pretty obvious one, sorry for being a lazy fooker, but cheers for the reply and links  s:D :D s:D

pugboy

Thanks for the links... So the question should have been is it worth trying to find one with a hardtop, and it looks like the answer is yes, when the fitting kit parts total around 400 quid, without the actual roof. Flippin eck. You've been slightly sarcy, but nevertheless very useful, cheers!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I feel new members need to be part spoon fed and part encouraged to find the answers,the sarcasm is just a bonus.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: