eBay front strut brace... yes, or no ?

Started by vatovey, August 16, 2010, 09:07

michaelasaunders

Just for the record, I PM`d Vatovey and he said the handling has improved a great deal with the hard top removed.
Fiat Stilo 1.9TD 53 plate - 3 door - red
Ex-MR2 - X reg, Blue, Hard Top

vatovey

just to confirm, during the last of the summer days I did remove the hard-top for a while, with the strut brace in place I found that driving without the hard-top was very similar to when it is in place, where'as previously I felt there was quite a bit of flex in chassis, overall - very nice mod for those without hardtop's, but for those with hard-tops - don't expect to see much difference when it is on.

kentsmudger

Just got a phone call from home - Mrs Smudger is curious what is in the long parcel from Hong Kong, is it to fix the scanner she needs for her time-sheets? - Nope!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Also can she have the car to go to work in tomorrow - Nope!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

kentsmudger

Quote from: "kentsmudger"... long parcel from Hong Kong...  

...is not long enough - They've sent a rear one    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

JiMR2

Jeremy, i have the bar spare for a front one if you want it!?!?!?!?  Should fit your brackets.
AKA Cinnamon Jim

kentsmudger

Thanks, but i just checked and the fittings are different diameters and the holes don't line up   s:( :( s:(  

Trying to decide now whether to faff about sending it back to Hong Kong for a refund, or if I should just keep it and negotiate a discount on another front bar.

Anyone want to make me an offer for an unused rear strut bar?

JiMR2

Just email saying they sent the wrong one, i emailed em saying that they'd sent me the wrong front strut brace - didnt think that the bonnet closed properly... they apologised and sent me a new bar, hence having 2 bars! No problem, didnt want the other one back etc. no postage.

Seem like fair guys...
AKA Cinnamon Jim

kentsmudger

Quote from: "JiMR2"...they apologised and sent me a new bar...
Oh, bugger - Just seen this after deciding to keep it and negotiating a discount on a front one - Could have got one for free!
Never mind.

Quote from: "Chinese gentleman"Please let us extend our sincere apologies for this fault. As our new colleague is still new and he is still not very familiar in our products, he packed incorrect strut bar to you.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   - Blame the newbie!

aaronjb

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "Chinese gentleman"Please let us extend our sincere apologies for this fault. As our new colleague is still new and he is still not very familiar in our products, he packed incorrect strut bar to you.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   - Blame the newbie!

He's probably being flogged as we speak  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kentsmudger

Finally fitted front and rear bars today, and had a trip out to test. Although I was sceptical, having put my weight on the centre of the front bar and felt it flex far more than I thought it should, they do make quite a marked difference considering their low price and similar build quality. I guess they resist compression and tension much better along their length than across it and a bar is a bar -

1) The steering wheel no longer shivers and shakes over poor surfaces, noticeable even at low speeds, larger bumps are now felt more through the seat than the wheel. I no longer have to hold the wheel so tight, it now feels as if it is more firmly bolted into the dashboard.

2) Turn-in is more direct and and more precise. There must be a little less understeer, as several times I aimed through a tight curve and had too relax the lock by a few degrees as the car was cutting closer to the inside curb than intended. The front of the car seems more solid to lean on when turning in too.

3) The feel from the car through the steering wheel is now much 'cleaner' and smoother. There is much better information there about how much grip the car has, from the front wheels, and the rear wheels too which I was not expecting. When my empty, twisty lane test-route turned out to still be a bit icy and greasy, there was much clearer warning that the rear end was about to slither and it felt much more natural making it easier to throw just the right amount of lock at it and feel it come back in line.

As everyone says that the rear bar does not add much effect, I may unhook it for a bit and see how much difference I can actually detect - There is plenty of metal across the rear of the chassis already and I only fitted it because I got one accidentally!

As this is such a simple and effective mod, the question is not 'why didn't I do this before?', rather 'why did Toyota not do it in the first place?'

Kentsmudger recommended!

Tags: