[GI] considering selling my 2005 turbo'd MR2

Started by stargazer30, August 17, 2010, 12:40

stargazer30

Guys,

I'm considering a life style change and to do it I'd have to sell my MR2.  I don't "need" to sell it though and given the amount of money I've spent on it I know I'd loose out a fair bit.  The cars a 2005 with 20,000 miles, bought for 8K January this year and has had about 6K spent on it to have the SP 240bhp turbo conversion package fitted, Uprated clutch, Cobra sport exhaust, TTE springs and new re-trimed seats.

Condition wise its in excellent condition, bar the odd light scratch and a minor dent on the bonnet which for the age of the car is to be expected.  Alloys were re-done when I bought it so they are excellent.

Now I know people always say take the turbo off and sell separately but my car is running it reliably and it has been custom mapped so the delivery is silky smooth (tuned to 227bhp on standard fuel), seems a total waste to strip it off.  

So the question then, what do you recon would be a reasonable asking price for the car as it is?  I know I won't get £14K for it! but do you think £11,500 would be fair?

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

SimonC_Here

You never get what you put in for mods when you sell. Check out the other cars in the FS section.

There is
a 2000 for £4000 (hass stage2)
a 2001 for £4750 (hass stage1)
and a 2004 for £6500 (tte)

OK so more miles but...

Simon

uktotty

I think £6-7k not £11k

stargazer30

Quote from: "uktotty"I think £6-7k not £11k

OMG I couldn't even buy a standard MR2 for that with the same mileage, age, condition etc...  

Still keep the opinions comming, I guess I should have also mentioned I'd be looking to replace it with an older/cheaper MR2 so a part ex may also be a possibility.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

stargazer30

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"You never get what you put in for mods when you sell. Check out the other cars in the FS section.

There is
a 2000 for £4000 (hass stage2)
a 2001 for £4750 (hass stage1)
and a 2004 for £6500 (tte)

OK so more miles but...

Simon

Thanks Simon, I would not compare a Hass kit with the SP or the TTE.  I saw the TTE one, that was a steal at that price, but it had higher miles done with the turbo so the engine would have much more wear than mine.

SimonC_Here

Just on Autotrader.
2005 red 11k miles £5495
2005 sable 27k miles £6995

Fair enough about what you want to compare it with but there are very few SP240's out there so other people will be looking at Hass, C2, and PE.

Still Good luck anyway. I'll let you know how driving the stock car after the turbo feels later this week.  s:( :( s:(

skinz

From recently looking at MR2's when buying my own, I would personally estimate that you will be looking at around £5-7k (depending if you find the right buyer)

My view of the problem is:
This car will appeal mosty to the younger driver, and due to increasing insurance costs atm that this will eliminate them from the turbo market - due to the extensive level of work done to the car turbo/clutch etc. this will have serious implications as these are all performance related and require to be declared.

If you were looking at £11k, many enthusiasts who have the cash to afford that may rather be tempted to buy a cheaper Mr2 and do these/similar modifications tailored to their requirements (possibly cheaper if they undertake the work themselves)

I would say that although you have had a lot of work done to the car, you will find it much easier to sell without turbo and with the low mileage expecting around £5-£6k - as this broadens your market again, then as for the turbo, if you rind the right buyer should be looking at £2-3k which would give you an upmost of £9k - therefore getting more of your money back... I learnt the hardway from investing £4k into my first car (punto), on top of the £6k that I bought it for that its selling value was only around £3-4k if it was immaculate, no money to be made in modifying, it's solely for personal enjoyment. That said if you don't "need" to sell it, just keep it and have some fun  s:) :) s:)

stargazer30

Well for sub 10K I'll certainly keep it!  It probably makes more sense to take the turbo off to make more money, but its like taking candy off a baby - its just plain wrong.

loadswine

Its definitely harder to sell a modified car, even one with the very tidy SP conversion. I should know, had a couple of goes at selling mine. I know exactly where you're coming from in terms of reluctance to let it go for peanuts, especially when you've ploughed time, thought and money into it to make it a bit special.
You either have to find that special buyer who appreciates the package and is fully committed to owning a modded 2, for reasonable money or keep hold of it.
I managed to keep mine for now and love it to bits, but the spectre of money will probably catch up with me in the end and it will have to go. I'll enjoy it for now though.   s:D :D s:D  
I hope you're able to enjoy yours after all that effort.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

E

Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that every mod you do to your car actually reduces the resale value of your car never mind increases it, so leaving all the bits on your car will never recoup any of your money. however if as most do you remove the bits putting the car back to stock you restore its resale value plus a fair bit extra for all the kit. But as has been said earlier, if you don't need to sell it then don't and get some enjoyment out of all that money you've spent.   s:D :D s:D

evileye_wrx

I sold my turbo'ed '2 last year. It was on a 55 plate and had over £10k worth of modifications. I stripped the mods and sold them separately. Bearing in mind I did sell to webuyanycar.com you could probably make a few quid more selling privately but I made back just over £10k.

It will well decumented on here that you don't make your money back on a modified car. The only way is to strip the mods, sell them separately and sell the car as stock. Expect to make about 50% of what you spent on the mods at 2nd hand rates.

Good luck in your sale,

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"I'll let you know how driving the stock car after the turbo feels later this week.  s:( :( s:(

For the short time I had it after we removed the turbo I preferred my car back to N/A. Just felt nicer to drive

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

stargazer30

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"I'll let you know how driving the stock car after the turbo feels later this week.  s:( :( s:(

For the short time I had it after we removed the turbo I preferred my car back to N/A. Just felt nicer to drive

Phil

That's funny for the short time I drove my MR2 without the turbo I hated it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ChrisHumes

Phils got it spot on mate with regard pricing. If i were to buy another '2 i'd want a tte one like yours, but would never spend that sort of cash on it. after searching around on the trader/toyota sales, a 05/06 plate only go for up to 7-10k max, so id say private sale is only say 8 for yours. i know the kit cost you 4k+, but someone new to the mr2 would probably want a standard car.

i know its not what you want to hear...

stargazer30

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"Phils got it spot on mate with regard pricing. If i were to buy another '2 i'd want a tte one like yours, but would never spend that sort of cash on it. after searching around on the trader/toyota sales, a 05/06 plate only go for up to 7-10k max, so id say private sale is only say 8 for yours. i know the kit cost you 4k+, but someone new to the mr2 would probably want a standard car.

i know its not what you want to hear...

Nah its okay Mate, I started this thread for honest opinions and any car is only worth what someone will pay for it at the end of the day.  I plan to keep it another couple of years at least given the general feedback so far.

ChrisHumes

to be honest mate, i think you will struggle to get such a sweet handling and powerful car for the money you would get from changing it. in a way i wish i never got rid of mine as the money i got for it did not reflect the enjoyment i got from it, the car cost me very little during ownership. if i could have justified it, i would have got a tte put on my car, but thought it wise not to due to the money i would lose eventually.

Tags: