what engine problem have you had?

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2003, 17:01

Anonymous

Hi , i am going to be buying a roadster but have been reading on some other roadster`s sites about problem with engine and the pre-cat getting damaged,it starting to put me off of owning one . What problem have you had with you roadster.

kenny

Anonymous

No problems so far, I am sure the more seasoned members will be able to answer the question better, but I think these problems are few and far between.  I know Peter has had a lot of problems though.

Buy it!...You will ever look back (apart from everyone you leave behind you).

Anonymous

I got my '2 with 4500 miles on the clock, which is approximately when most people have reported these problems starting. I however, have now put another 4000 miles on it and I haven't had a single problem, other than the ones that Toyota know about (bubbly alloys, rusty discs, steamed up headlight etc........) and have had fixed under the manufacturers warranty. Nothing detrimental to the running of the car. I think that most cars will have the odd "friday afternoon" car out there somewhere, so don't be put off my the scare stories. Trust me, its the best fun you can have on a road with your trousers on.......other than buying and Elise (see previous posting.......sorry!!!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Do it. You WON'T regret it!

Anonymous

Mines 2 years and 20k, it's had ingectors replaced miss fireing ! the alloys changed and a headlight changed and nothing major done a services, all is done under warrenty o you cant realy complain   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Whilst there has been the odd reported problem, I really don't believe that they're any more prevalent than any problems with any other car.

Of the cases that have been reported (and almost all of these are US; I we only know of two in the UK?), there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern of mileage/driving style/whatever that triggers an engine failure, so it's effectively random.

Don't let the fear of a rare, and if under warranty, no-cost problem, put you off buying an otherwise excellent car. You'll soon forget any concerns, once the grin on your face from the driving experience sets in...

Anonymous

I agree with everyone else here... i brought one and then heard about all these problems people had.... but i would not go back to any other car... i simply love it too much... you just find yourself taking the VERY long way home just to take her for a blast!

Ive started to get a rattle from the glovebox and one behind me, had one problem starting and the blipper not working - but they have not come back (apart from the glove box which im going to get them to sort out)... the only other thing is the engine idles VERY high when cold, around 1500-2000 but goes down when warm.... aparently its normal....?!?

Just get one.... you will love it!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

markiii

ref the blipper problem. I had that a while back. I got the spare remote locked and unlocked it a couple of times with that and then went back to the original.

It has behaved perfectly since then. I think the ECU occasionally gets it's knickers in a twist.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Most of the complaints I have seen are rattles and squeaks, which are hard to consider serious problems if you look at most car complaints.

I have done about 20k miles in my Nov 00 MR2 and it has been pretty much perfect.

Alloys were replaced at last service (due to bubbling under laquer, under warranty), and disks were cleaned up and painted to avoid cosmentic rusting, other than a set of tyres thats been it.

When I think of the hassle I had with other cars (especially french ones), I think putting up with the odd rattle (which mostly turns out to be junk in the glovebox/lockers) is a very small price to pay for superb handling, and a fantastic soft top.

People only seem to change their MR2's because they have to get a sensible car to pacify nagging wives  :-) :-) :-)

James.

Chris

Quote from: "pmdye"Of the cases that have been reported (and almost all of these are US; I we only know of two in the UK?), there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern of mileage/driving style/whatever that triggers an engine failure, so it's effectively random.

Just to echo what Phil said, of all the ROC members (200+ at one stage?), I only know of 2 people that have had engine rebuilds, under warranty.  No more than any other make of car I reckon...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Mine is a Y and had no probs, done 12k. And guys I go way on hols for 3 weeks, come back and the site address changed plus my username and password failed. I had to re-reg.

Sun out on sat, so the 2 is out on the road.

Fluff

Liz

Mines a Y 2001, getting on for 30,000 miles - no problems with the engine so far..normal stuff bubbly alloys and I am hoping to get my rusty discs changed on this service coming, its a fantastic car, I caught sight of the reflection of mine in a mirror window on the way home tonight and found myself smiling all the way down the road afterwards..just buy one!  s:P :P s:P
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: