Seafoam - A solution to oil consumption?

Started by d1bram, September 13, 2010, 11:51

K T M Rider

Quote from: "michaelasaunders"From a full tank of oil with 4 litres at 0 miles to 5/8th full at 430 miles = 268.75 miles per litre if I have done my maths right?

Erm, presumably you are getting a reading of 5/8ths on the dipstick???

the dipstick range is 1.3 litres I believe. meaning the oil level would have dropped 3/8ths (on the dipstick) which is equivalent to having used just under half a litre.

If you had truly used 3/8ths of your full engine oil capacity (i.e. used circa 1.5 litres of oil) before topping up you would probably have rumbling main bearings by now - which is why I was curious that you were able to apparently quite happily run an engine drinking a litre every 200 miles   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

michaelasaunders

OK I am really confused now.

If the engine oil capacity is just under 4 litres, why would the dipstick only show a range of 1.3L ?
Fiat Stilo 1.9TD 53 plate - 3 door - red
Ex-MR2 - X reg, Blue, Hard Top

K T M Rider

Quote from: "michaelasaunders"If the engine oil capacity is just under 4 litres, why would the dipstick only show a range of 1.3L ?

the dipstick max and min levels cover the safe operating limits for the engine (which are somewhere around a minimum of 2.5 litres and a maximum of 4 litres depending on the specific oil capacity for your engine)

You seem to imply that you think the dipstick should have a 4 litre range - this would mean that only halfway on the dipstick would already equate to a dangerously low oil level liable to incurr engine damage.

michaelasaunders

OK, thanks, that it makes sense to me now.

michaelasaunders

Actualy, now that I think of it, thats really foolish of me as coolant have a max/min and a reserve.

So you are correct, I am doing approx 800 miles per litre.

I cant say for sure what I was doing on 5w 30 now, other than I am pretty sure my consumption has slowed.

Apologies for the mistake.

markiii

wouldn;t touch magnatec with your bargepole
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

d1bram

Well I checked and topped up properly today...

Consumption remains firmly around the 600miles per litre mark (put in about 400mls having done just short of 250miles).  Funnily, this is exactly what is stated in the manual as being 'normal'.  

So I can conclude at this point;

Seafoam has made no difference to my car some 5/600miles since the oil change, neither has the change to 0w40 fully synth,  the car runs perfectly however and happily it no longer smokes at all.

BUT, after today it looks like I am having a change of car.

I have to admit, regular oil top ups are a factor, but mainly I wanted something a touch newer and more practical for work as I am now getting a decent car allowance in lieu of a company car.

I've gone over to the darkside and done a deal on a MX-5, 56 reg, 31k miles 2.0 Sport in black.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

On the downside it doesn't have a hardtop or aircon (quite surprised this was a rare option for the top spec model), however I've never really needed to use the AC in the roadster, and I think not having the hardtop will be a good thing in some ways (no need to store, can drop the top on dry winter days etc) plus the roof on the MX is fabric or mohair so pretty robust.

It does have the LSD and 6 speed box though, along with heated leather.

First impressions are it's bigger (in feel at least than the 2), and feels less raw.  It's got more low down grunt, but overall it's not faster.  Handling seems similarly good, but I didn't want to push it on a test drive in the wet!  It sits on stilts though, apparently Mazda fitted longer springs for the UK market, set of eibachs will be high on the wish list.

I will do a bit of a none biased comparison post when I get it (still love the 2).

K T M Rider

sounds very nice.

should rename this post:

MX5 - A solution to oil consumption?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

d1bram

LOL, the thread will be getting moderated then!!!

It is nice, but to be 100% honest I think as a pure fun/weekend car the MR2 would get my vote.  MX5 combines most of the appeal of the MR2 with a bit more of the refinement and comfort that my old golf company car offered (without the downside of being wrist slashingly dull).

Back on topic though, I do feel that roadster consuming oil like ours do have the potential to carry on for many thousands of miles to come, I reckon the majority of failures are down to failing to keep an eye on the oil levels.  I'll stick around on here, and will be interested to hear how you get on with yours.  I would also say that with less than £2k invested, your are in the position that you could change the engine and not be too far down.

K T M Rider

QuoteIt is nice, but to be 100% honest I think as a pure fun/weekend car the MR2 would get my vote.

wise words on an MR2 forum   s:) :) s:)  

QuoteI'll stick around on here, and will be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

Think I shall be mothballing it till about April now, 'cos apart from anything else, regularly having to p*ss about checking and topping up oil in Winter isn't my idea of fun. No intention of selling though - think I'll be running it till it dies (so maybe 'till about May then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   )

michaelasaunders

Quote from: "markiii"wouldn;t touch magnatec with your bargepole

Ok, I wont. any particular brand to recommend for the 15w 50?

aaronjb

Quote from: "michaelasaunders"

Any of these should do:  m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-660-15w-50.aspx m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

K T M Rider

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "michaelasaunders"

Any of these should do:  m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-660-15w-50.aspx m

in case you haven't already, you might want to read this in case you were thinking of trying 15w50 this side of April

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31696 l .

given that you have been running Tesco's finest, I would have thought the Motul 6100 would be more in line with your budget, but Opie appear to have limited availabilty on this at the mo, so under the circumstances I'm sure they wont mind me mentioning this oil is also available on Ebay.

Back on the Opie site though, The Gulf competition caught my eye for just an extra fiver.

Alan (currently 'running' 15/50 topped up with LOTS of 5 40 and now probably hibernating till spring anyway   s:) :) s:)  )

michaelasaunders

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "michaelasaunders"in case you haven't already, you might want to read this in case you were thinking of trying 15w50 this side of April

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31696 l .)

I had read it, thanks.

However, I also read Markiii runs it all year with no issues.

Decisions decisions....

OldMan

Back on topic, more or less:

My 2001 MR2 was burning ~1qt/400mi.
I installed 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra with 1.5oz of SeaFoam per quart.
I ran one tankful of petrol with ~1oz of RingFree per (US) gallon.
I ran a second tankful with the same concentration of RingFree.
I ran one tankful without adding any RingFree.
I ran one tankful with ~2oz of RingFree per (US) gallon.
Oil consumption is now ~1qt/680 miles.

Now, the improvement may be due to the oil, the SeaFoam, the RingFree, or a combination of two or even all three.  Unscientific I know, but I'm in a hurry as I'm facing the US equivalent of a MOT.

I believe the improvement is mostly due to the RingFree.  I'm currently running ~2oz/gal, and intend to continue the treatment until I see no further improvement.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

mrzwei

Oil consumption, as with any other fluid loss, can be managed. In the same way that you have to top up with petrol then you have to top up with oil and water. I've just noticed that the ash tray is full.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

K T M Rider

Quote from: "OldMan"Back on topic, more or less:

My 2001 MR2 was burning ~1qt/400mi.
I installed 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra with 1.5oz of SeaFoam per quart.
I ran one tankful of petrol with ~1oz of RingFree per (US) gallon.
I ran a second tankful with the same concentration of RingFree.
I ran one tankful without adding any RingFree.
I ran one tankful with ~2oz of RingFree per (US) gallon.
Oil consumption is now ~1qt/680 miles.

Now, the improvement may be due to the oil, the SeaFoam, the RingFree, or a combination of two or even all three.  Unscientific I know, but I'm in a hurry as I'm facing the US equivalent of a MOT.

I believe the improvement is mostly due to the RingFree.  I'm currently running ~2oz/gal, and intend to continue the treatment until I see no further improvement.

Very interesting results, thanks alot for the info. Of course we're used to thinking in litres here in the UK and by my calculation (based on a quart = 1.1365 litres approx) your oil consumption has dropped from a litre every 350 mls to every 600 miles a great improvement !   s:D :D s:D  

Digging around on the internet it would seem that Yamalube Ring Free is based on Chevron Techron and both products are rated highly in the U.S. but appear more or less unavailable in the UK.

However, it seems that for drivers in the Cardiff area they can get some Techron next time they fill up:

m http://www.texacowithtechron.co.uk/ m

OldMan

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"Digging around on the internet it would seem that Yamalube Ring Free is based on Chevron Techron and both products are rated highly in the U.S. but appear more or less unavailable in the UK.

I've read that as well, but further exploration found numerous sites that claim RingFree and Techron are NOT similar even though they are both manufactured by the same chemical company.  I tend to believe that because I've been using Techron every six tankfuls for years, but have never seen any concrete results.  The normal RingFree dose is 1oz/10gallons, much lower than the normal Techron dosage.  The RingFree concentration I'm currently using is termed a "shock treatment" by Yamaha, and is intended to clean a long-neglected engine prior to beginning the "maintanance dose".
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Tags: