Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

Started by aaronjb, November 12, 2010, 12:01

aaronjb

I did a search  s;) ;) s;)  but - has anyone actually tried running these?

Easier to get ahold of than the Elise fitment Neova and a similar price range (slightly cheaper, but not by much)..

(Still waiting to get either a refund or a set of tyres that I've already paid for from BaT, mind  s:( :( s:(  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

have you emailed Jonny directly?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Yep, a few days ago.. I'll give them a call on Monday.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

JiMR2

Are these the ones that were the optional upgrade tyres on from toyota ???  i know ive got yoko advans n that they're the ones that were teh factory upgrade thing.. .
AKA Cinnamon Jim

markiii

nope they were never offered on teh mr2
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Yeah I don't think the AD08 was out when the Roadster was released  s;) ;) s;)

This is the AD08:

And this is the Neova LTS (the S1 Lotus Elise tyre):

markiii

it can;t be better than teh lts

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"it can;t be better than the lts

But it could be as good as  s;) ;) s;)  (And it's slightly cheaper, easier to get hold of, and I imagine a newer construction)

[edit] And sometimes trying something new is fun  s;) ;) s;)  I was looking at the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's for the Omega, and they have a weird tread pattern:

(And yes, they are fitted correctly!)

Although I notice A048-Rs come in Omega sizes...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

VUS are very good tyres, as long as you don't expect too much from them. Bean's got them on his 350, and I found them to be a bit lacking in outright grip but fantastic communicators, so whilst you're never going that quickly sideways on them at least you can tell exactly how much grip you've got left  s:D :D s:D

Well worth a shot.

aaronjb

Got my refund from Jonny today (I forgot he was at Spa this weekend, hence the lack of response) - as always I'm quietly impressed by BaTs service (phoned up, mentioned tyres and got 'Ohh is that Aaron?' - personal service  s:) :) s:) ).. anyway..

Now I'm faced with, do I;

a) Get the LTS from EliseParts and find somewhere that'll fit tyres they didn't supply or
b) Try the AD08s and get them fitted by whoever supplies them, and save myself the hassle

Ah the temptation of an easy life vs. a known quantity  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Dan M"VUS are very good tyres, as long as you don't expect too much from them. Bean's got them on his 350, and I found them to be a bit lacking in outright grip but fantastic communicators, so whilst you're never going that quickly sideways on them at least you can tell exactly how much grip you've got left  s:D :D s:D

Well worth a shot.

Oh and - yeah, in the case of the Omega I was hoping for a tyre like the Toyo but with stiffer sidewalls (although at least one person rates the Toyos on the Omega - they do have a much higher load rating in those sizes, mind, so will be stiffer from that). Anyhoo.. back to MR2s  s;) ;) s;)

kentsmudger

Quote from: "aaronjb"I was looking at the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's for the Omega, and they have a weird tread pattern:

(And yes, they are fitted correctly!)

My first thought! They don't look right at all.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Gif

Live down the road from a Vred dealer so had them on loads of cars.  They are really good tyres IMHO although wear rate was not the best.  Never had them on the 2, run the original Yoko Advan without any problems whatsover.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

ChrisGB

From what I have read, the AD08 is supposed to be very good in the dry, but suffers a bit in the wet due to its low void area. The LTS are a known excellent tyre in the wet.

When I was phoning round for prices on the LTS, Belle and Colville (?) in Surrey were good on price. I ended up with the R888 eventually, but they are now silly money (maybe will drop now we are at the end of the track season?), noisy and not great with standing water.

EDIT: AD08 are OEM on some Elise models, but I think they may be LTS specific too.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: