MR2 Roadster Car Cover

Started by Anonymous, November 30, 2010, 19:44

Anonymous

Hi
Can anyone help!

Im after a full car cover for my MR2 Roadster which Im taking off the road for winter. Can anyone recommend a decent one.

Cheers
Sarah

Anonymous

Indoor or outdoor?

Mike G

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0649760162 m
I bought one from these prople and it is quite wieghty and better quality than other indoor covers I've had for the same money
They don't list for the 2 but if you ask they can get one...........mine fits well BTW  I assume its an indoor one you want ?
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

JiMR2

Im after an outdoor one, can you recommend one Nelix?
AKA Cinnamon Jim

AmeR

I know alancdaivis had one for his car. Not sure where he got it from though. Maybe PM him?

stargazer30

Outdoor covers, last time I read up on these I read they do more bad than good.  IIRC the argument was trapping moisture next to the bodywork promotes corrosion and wind blowing on them scratches the car.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Fatbloater

Stargazer, you're right.

These need to fit perfect otherwise it causes paintwork damage.
I had an Audi A4 Cab and after just 1 night !!! Of high winds, took the cover off next day and the elastic had rubbed right through the laquer on the rear wheel arch.
The cover spent the reminder of its life in the boot of the car and was Part Ex'd along with the car !!

I have seen better quality ones in Top Marques magazine which are a perfect fit. I suppose you get what you pay for.
If you're thinking long term it may be worth even thinking about proper internal storage at a secure facility.
I know caravans are only about £200 for 4 months. Might be even cheaper for your car and it gets it out of the way and away from prying eyes.
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

loadswine

I've used a good quality cover for over 5 years and they have been superb at looking after the 2.
A few things to remember though, don't cover it when its wet and always make sure its clean before you cover as well. Common sense really.
As usual there will always be scare stories. So if you think it might not be a good idea, then simple, don't use one.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Mike G

2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

loadswine

Brilliant! Just the job.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Thanks. Its an outdoor one Im looking for at the min. Im hoping to have it garaged but not having much look finding one at the min so it'll be outside for now.

loadswine

Cocerzone are the people I've had my covers from, and they fit pretty well. I have a Monsoon cover at the moment, not especially cheap, but it does the job of keepingthe weather off rather well, I think.  s:) :) s:)

K T M Rider

Quote from: "loadswine"Cocerzone are the people I've had my covers from, and they fit pretty well.

I've taken delivery of a car cover today, which (like everything else) I found on ebay:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Mk3-Ou ... 2377wt_782 m

It's made by Coverzone (a.k.a. Cocerzone if you've been living up to your username before you start typing?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Not used it yet, as I need to clear the snow off the car first. Thought it seemed like a good investment as I am laying my car up till spring and the roof has definitely seen better days.

Alot cheaper than buying a hardtop!
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

K T M Rider

Quote from: "stargazer30"Outdoor covers, last time I read up on these I read they do more bad than good.  IIRC the argument was trapping moisture next to the bodywork promotes corrosion and wind blowing on them scratches the car.

According to the sales blurb for the one I've just bought:

This cover is water resistant yet breathable to allow damp & moisture to escape. Features fitted door mirror pockets, double stitching for strength, non-scratch latest generation material in a silver colour and is elasticated front and rear.

K T M Rider

Oh and in line with Tem's advice here about taking your car off the road for winter:

l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17362&p=213838&hilit=silica+gel#p213838 l

I'm also awaiting delivery of some of this:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7dayshop-Silica-G ... _828wt_989 m

loadswine

Quote from: KTM_RIDERIt's made by Coverzone (a.k.a. Cocerzone if you've been living up to your username before you start typing?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

quote]
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   That's pretty much spot on! What were they thinking putting the c next to the v on the keyboard.
Fairly decent covers though, longevity varies with the different versions.

Curlytoppz

Well   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   me now but I bought a 22.99 cover from argos ready for the snow and it has been brill.  It has an inner cover which is soft and I have had it covering the car for the last week and half and it is dry and snug under there   s:D :D s:D

K T M Rider

muffdan

That's a big Christmas present.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

K T M Rider

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

fairly sure what it is, given that I wrapped it myself.

Mike_V

Looks the business, just treat myself to one for Chrismas also.  s:D :D s:D
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

Curlytoppz - Which cover from Argos did you get and how well does it work?
I've got a Roadster and moving to a house without a garage so want to keep it protected until I get a garage built.

Naz

loadswine

Hey Naz, good to see you on here! I'm looking for a new cover for my new 2 as well. I am looking at cheaper alternatives to the cover zone one for now and have seen a couple on ebay, advertised as fitting the MX5, which is a similar size. I'll let you know what its like when I get it.
Nige.

Curlytoppz

I got this one and it did a treat during the snow.  It advises to check the car every few days for condensation and I did and there was never any.  It has a soft inner so didn't cause any scratches.  You fit the clips at the front and rear under the car and pull up the cords to tighten.  Sure it isn't as fab as the expensive ones but it did the job for me.

m http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... +COVER.htm m

bigwillcv36

I have a mint condition Cover Zone Stormforce cover that I bought when I got the car but, never use as I'm always driving it! They are about £160 new I think (mine's been fitted once, in dry weather just to make sure it was ok).
£100 if anyone wants it?
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

Tags: