HOW TO : Strip rear light cluster

Started by Fatbloater, December 2, 2010, 23:04

Fatbloater

Hi,

I'll keep it brief (and hope the links to the images work as Ive never tried it before)
Had condensation in the rear light cluster. Tried using a hair dryer through the bulb socket to dry it out but it was never going to work having stripped the cluster down I can see why.
Follow this process it takes just 15 minutes to remove each cluster, strip it down, dry it out and replace. Its simple.

Started off as...

Remove 2 phillips screws on top of cluster and gently maneuver cluster out without snapping bottom plastic knob (once the tops out the rest will follow)...
Also remove the electrical socket for the lights by squeezing it and gently pulling...

Remove small phillips screw in middle of light cluster at the back.
Then with a small screwdriver gently prize apart the clips STARTING with the black ABS housing. The last 3 remaining clips should be the Red plastic ones on the lens itself.
These come off by pressing down on the black abs that is slotted behind the clip. They take some very very gentle persuasion. I must admit I snapped a couple (naughty boy).
You can see one of the black ABS clips you should start with in the above photo.

Now your lens should be apart from the back section there is a middle section you need to split. Just 2 phillips screws and you have these apart and should be where all the water is.
(now you see why you can't dry them out from the rear).

Taking out the two screws reveals...

So, clean it out using a combination of toilet roll to get the worst and then your wifes favourite hairdryer (with or without diffuser will be fine) !
Replace as per opposite to destructions and heres what you have when you're done...good as new...for a week until they get rained on again.

You can do two things to prevent more moisture. I believe my seals have gone so its a case of replacing those which I will do.
Or use silicon to seal the whole thing right round. This will also help if you snapped some of those clips I told you about earlier...you did didn't you !!

This guide could also come in useful for if someone has smashed their lens and needs to replace just the lens and not the full cluster.
This work was done on a facelift model.

[ADMIN] Part numbers sourced by OldRedCelica added below, 22-Aug-17 [/ADMIN]
Quote from: "OldRedCelica"I've noticed there is no part numbers or prices on it. So I went to my local Toyota Dealership to get prices as the car I'm looking at next weekend needs a tail light lens replacing.
The lenses are £32.28 each
Part numbers
Lens LH T81561-17240
Lens RH T81551-17200

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Fatbloater
(Mark)
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

Wabbitkilla

[ADMIN] Moved to How To's as it'll be useful to many [/ADMIN]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: