1st winter with my 2, ice encounter !

Started by xsarahx, December 4, 2010, 09:26

kentsmudger

Quote from: "aglassinthesink"Surely it can't be as dodgy as the motorbike was through winter?
If you assume it IS that tricky to start with and then learn from there you will do fine!

Quote from: "aaronjb"Heck, even the car I learnt to drive in didn't have ABS - you stamped on the brakes and you slid along the road without stopping.. you were soon taught how to drive properly (unless the instructor wanted his car driving into a pole  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
The most eye-opening part of the advanced course I did was the emergency stop from 60mph, with no ABS, Never had to do it before and it was much more involving than the 26mph version on the normal driving test!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

xsarahx

Quote from: "aglassinthesink"Well I'm 24 with a fair bit of experience now (17-20 on a motorbike, 20+ in cars) and I'll be honest I'm nervous as hell abou getting my car at the weekend (delayed again). Surely it can't be as dodgy as the motorbike was through winter? I did spend hours last year in my c4 VTR practicing regaining control on the ice but this will be the first time I've touched a rwd car in winter... Still, practice makes perfect and I've gotta fix the young drivers reputation somehow   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

It wont be at all like your c4  s:) :) s:)   i thought i handled my golf gt last winter pretty well, it had a chip and re-map so had plenty of power and i too would practice regaining control, but rwd is sooo different, so im now learning how to control the car all over again, i will say though that i take much more notice of road surfaces since having rwd but having had a motorbike you should be pretty used to that bit already !
Previously owned - RED edition, 54 plate, red calipers,  jdm nose badge, de-badged rear............That is all \":)\"

aglassinthesink

Well the c4 wasn't exactly powerful (there were times when I thought my pushbike had more potential) but it's roper handling left me edgy on the ice a couple of times. I've driven my dads rwd Beemer a few times which is Awful in this weather so I've basically been treated to a torrent of advice from him   s:? :? s:?
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

creamykiwi

Quote from: "aglassinthesink"Well the c4 wasn't exactly powerful (there were times when I thought my pushbike had more potential) but it's roper handling left me edgy on the ice a couple of times. I've driven my dads rwd Beemer a few times which is Awful in this weather so I've basically been treated to a torrent of advice from him   s:? :? s:?

mark's advice is sound, and he was brave enough to take me for a long test drive in an icy November when i'd never driven a 2 or a RWD before  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

your dad's advice is also probably sound, a friend of mine and a new neighbour both have beemers and they reckon they handle more like a sledge than a car in this weather  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

had mine out for first time today and it was actually ok - have cancelled this eve's plans though because they involve stupid roads that i know are still icy and witnessed accidents on last year   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

you'll be fine if you take it easy  s:) :) s:)
Roll on summer!!

xsarahx

Quote from: "creamykiwi"
Quote from: "aglassinthesink"Well the c4 wasn't exactly powerful (there were times when I thought my pushbike had more potential) but it's roper handling left me edgy on the ice a couple of times. I've driven my dads rwd Beemer a few times which is Awful in this weather so I've basically been treated to a torrent of advice from him   s:? :? s:?

mark's advice is sound, and he was brave enough to take me for a long test drive in an icy November when i'd never driven a 2 or a RWD before  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

your dad's advice is also probably sound, a friend of mine and a new neighbour both have beemers and they reckon they handle more like a sledge than a car in this weather  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

had mine out for first time today and it was actually ok - have cancelled this eve's plans though because they involve stupid roads that i know are still icy and witnessed accidents on last year   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

you'll be fine if you take it easy  s:) :) s:)
Roll on summer!!
I have soooo lost count on how many times i have prayed for the summer this last week, i usually love the snow and hate the summer heat but not anymore !
Previously owned - RED edition, 54 plate, red calipers,  jdm nose badge, de-badged rear............That is all \":)\"

Tags: