What's the predictions of the MR2's value rising in years to

Started by Anonymous, January 6, 2011, 00:02

Anonymous

I was wondering if there was any prior discussions on the value of the 2000-2007 mr2's since they're no longer in production? I know they're not classics, but in some ways I think they have potential, they're super reliable, handle well, look sharp, etc. Is there any thought to them rising in value as the years go by?

Monty

uktotty

in 20-30 years yes, in 5-10 years no

Anonymous

I'm to old...

Ilogik

Doubt it, the mk2's are going for peanuts and they are  20 years old. MK1 not much better. It depends on the buyer.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Mike G

Quote from: "montywent"I'm to old...
Me too !  But historically, convrtibles , and especially 2 seaters always seem to retain a lot of intrest and reach an absolute low which may not be as little as some dull hatchback,  I mean you don't often see them abandoned at the side of a dual carriageway like an old mondeo or see them cluttering up scrapyards unless they've been written off........but I stand to be corrected
Mike
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

loadswine

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with ilogik!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Given what we see with Mk1 and 2 cars, its not going to be a classic, though some would dearly like it to be. One or two real spanking examples will stay around and be at shows and the like, but that's about it. We see this with the Mk1 particularly where a few superb ones are around, but they don't command massive prices, even for real minters.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Yup, Ilogik and Nige are spot-on the money.

kentsmudger

.....So stop worrying and go drive it!

I saw a sig on SC that said something like - "Not putting miles on your car, to preserve it's re-sale value, is like not sleeping with your girl, to make her more attractive to her next boyfriend..."
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Chris_h

I think you need to look at the MX-5

Presumably a floor for a tidy car of £1500 - with some minters fetching more.

Its interesting how series 1 MX5s are now becoming desirable and some businesses are selling totally refurbed cars for c. £7-10k

However, I dont think the MR2 has quite the same raw basics appeal of the series 1 MX5 to the wider audience.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Mike G

QuoteHowever, I dont think the MR2 has quite the same raw basics appeal of the series 1 MX5 to the wider audience.
Got to disagree with that point , On the contrary , I have had   mk1 mk3 and mk 3.5  MX5 s and although I;m not the wider audience as such  the MR2 has the raw basics appeal for a mid engined and (I think) better balanced car than the 5  and lets face it 5's are like arseholes really    s:) :) s:)
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)

Chris_h

Quote from: "Mike G"
QuoteHowever, I dont think the MR2 has quite the same raw basics appeal of the series 1 MX5 to the wider audience.
Got to disagree with that point , On the contrary , I have had   mk1 mk3 and mk 3.5  MX5 s and although I;m not the wider audience as such  the MR2 has the raw basics appeal for a mid engined and (I think) better balanced car than the 5  and lets face it 5's are like arseholes really    s:) :) s:)

I am referring to the cruisers and more mature motorists - for them the MX5 better represents classic roadster for those who dont want to shell £££ on a traditional classic. Only anecdotal evidence from older friends and friends parents suddenely spending quite big £££ on a S1 MX5 - I doubt they even considered a roadster as they wanted the classic Elanesque shape.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

FGrob

I've seen this first hand with my Spitfire, when I first had my car (25 years ago) the condition 1 price was pretty low (£2500), now some 37 years since it was made the values are starting to go up (£5000 - £6000), so going off that the MK1 as still a long way to go.

Original cars are by far the best long term investment but who will be prepared to wait that long - not many I think.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Mike G

Quote from: "Chris_h"
Quote from: "Mike G"

I am referring to the cruisers and more mature motorists - for them the MX5 better represents classic roadster for those who dont want to shell £££ on a traditional classic. Only anecdotal evidence from older friends and friends parents suddenely spending quite big £££ on a S1 MX5 - I doubt they even considered a roadster as they wanted the classic Elanesque shape.
Fairplay , I see where your coming from now   s:) :) s:)

widermuller

Currently, the roadster is in a 'limbo land' its neither a 'banger' or 'classic', every classic car with the exception of exotics goes to banger status, before prices will start to rise. Your looking at 20-30 years. Personally I bought my car to keep long term so hopefully will become one! Too look after it properly is a lot easier than welding up old classics, already tried that! I would best describe it as a 'modern classic' basically a car waiting to become a classic. Currently cars like VW CORRADO'S, the first Golf R32 and S1 Elise's are being mentioned as such. Practical motorist have already featured the roadster in their 'cars to keep feature'. The mx5 to my mind will always be too much of of a Lotus elan, certainly the mk 1 was. Bear in mind the mx5 will always have much greater club support than the Mr2 purely because of the no's produced, hence I can't see mx5's will be worth a packet. Ask yourself this question, is an MGB worth a lot? Unless its concourse not really. However, the classic car world, can be fickle, and old japanese cars from the 70's and 80's are gaining more interest from collectors, currently gen 1 Celica's ( TA22/23 models ) are making around 8k in near concours condition. Datsun 240z's 12k+. Corolla AE86'S coupe 1984-1987 are making a good 6-8k+ . Also you can get suprising trends in the classic car world, take for example the Ford Capri a car once derided by some, are starting to make some serious money, even the last ones like the 2.8 special and Brooklands run out model. Even once considered duffer's  (though I love their body styling ) Triumph Stag and TR7 are now looked on with diffrent eyes, in the case of the Stag due to the efforts of Stag owners club, they are now, the car British Leyland should have offered in the first place. In the case of the TR7 I think people have got their head around the styling!

To sum up the roadster has this going for it:
1. Its a roadster, so will always have some kind of following
2. Very low build,
3. Best handling of all the MR2's so we were told by many a car mag
4. Some competion history mainly in Japan.
5. A personal view this one, I think its one of the best styled japanese cars of recent years it is quite well proprtioned.
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

robsonic

Quote from: "kentsmudger""Not putting miles on your car, to preserve it's re-sale value, is like not sleeping with your girl, to make her more attractive to her next boyfriend..."

+1
2006-2016, but the love (and seatbelt covers) have happily passed to my daughter   s]

AmeR

Quote from: "kentsmudger""Not putting miles on your car, to preserve it's re-sale value, is like not sleeping with your girl, to make her more attractive to her next boyfriend..."

I spotted that the other week! Made me chuckle!! The missus just rolled her eyes when I told her that!

Mike G

5. A personal view this one, I think its one of the best styled japanese cars of recent years it is quite well proprtioned.widermuller

Private message
Absolutely agree with that last point 100 percent ,mid engined cars lend themselves well to good proportions  I don t like the long bonnet / stubby tail format   YES... I'm ralking about the Z4   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Treboeth

Personal viewpoint

the seller I bought my MR2 from had a Z4 for sale same colour( silver) and alongside my baby it looked FUGLY (caps intended).

She is my first in so many ways , RWD , soft top , proper two door, mid engined and serious fun to drive plus so much more,

if her value rises or even stays the same that is an additional bonus to owning my 2  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Sound like a teenager   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I wish I could have had this car way back then  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Don of Croy

I'd like the MR2 to become an instant classic, maybe if we all started blogging int he right places we can start something...

I'm buying one because I think it is a 'minor' classic, will be more reliable than some Brit rag top, has leather and air con for comfort, SMT for bar-room bragging rights, SMT also for sympathy vote when it goes PHUT, and I can afford it.

The MX5 was just too easy, if you know what I mean (and if you're on this site chances are you do).
MR2 Roadster Lagoon Blue + SMT + Hard Top + Air Con
Volvo V70 D5 SE with loads of extras...
Honda Jazz - first choice for town use when we can\'t fit in the \'flip flop\' (MR2)

Mike G

May I be so bold as to post up my Facebook page with the scary amount of roadsters I have owned....not as a brag , but purely as a demonstration that with all these plus test driving 355's  Elises  SLK's TT's  I believe the MR2 represents the best ..............and this is the big one "value for money" / compromise of the lot.
I must stress , I'm not saying its better than this lot  (certainly not the 355!!!)
 m http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb ... id=2071857 m

Anonymous

Hardly anyone bought the Roadster when it was in production, so it's not too surprising that values have plummeted into last couple of years even considering the recession. On that basis, I cant ever see it becoming remotely collectable or valuable.

Drive it and enjoy says I, as there'll almost certainly never be anything like it again  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

tomcoolj

It seems that with all the pre-cat / oil problems MR2's often get, that there won't be many around in ten or so years (not that theres loads around anyway now). Surely this means they will never reach banger prices?

muffdan

It is only the early cars that suffer heavily with the precat/oval bore issue, so the their days may well be numbered. The post facelift will hopefully plod on into old age.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

filcee

Quote from: "Dan M"Hardly anyone bought the Roadster when it was in production, so it's not too surprising that values have plummeted into last couple of years even considering the recession. On that basis, I cant ever see it becoming remotely collectable or valuable.
I think I'd have to disagree with you on that.  Whilst it was not apparently popular when in production for all sorts of reasons (lack of luggage space, anyone? - forever highlighted by the so called 'experts' as a shortcoming), I am hoping that it will become popular as people realise what they have missed out on ...

Quote from: "Dan M"Drive it and enjoy says I, as there'll almost certainly never be anything like it again  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
... for exactly that reason - someday someone somewhere will wake up and realise that it was _a lot_ of car for relative pocket money in car terms and is even more so now.  Once the word gets around prices will firm up and there will probably be quite a healthy market for well preserved examples.  Given the current economic climate, it's a question of how long to the point at which the someone somewheres are comfortable with the thought of spending money on automotive frippery and begin to look around the market for their weekend toys/interesting projects/what-should-I-get-that-I-overlooked-before-all-this-happened.

Maybe we should be actively marketing them as "future classics" to the city bankers?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

mrzwei

Interesting to note some prices from the current edition of Practical Classics which always stesses the importance of condition.

MR2 84/89    condition 1  £3000  condition 3  £550
MR2 Mk2 90/99 con. 1 £3600  con. 3  £500

MX5 90/97  con.1 £3750  con.3   £600
Eunos  90/97  con. 1£3400  con.3  £600

MGF 95/02  con. 1  £3250  con.3  £550
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: