16 inch wheels all round??

Started by Anonymous, January 9, 2011, 14:34

Anonymous

Wasnt really sure where to put this question but think heres the most appropriate.
I have a facelift car with the 16 inch rear wheels and was wondering if anybody has swapped the front 15's to the 16's....so would be running 16's all round??

I think it would fill out the arches a bit better but was wondering if anybody has any experience running this setup??
Any negative points??
Cheers

ETA would still look to run a staggered tyre setup

markiii

its been done
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

frogger

Main difference compared to stock setups is that you'd have same rim width front and back - but this will still work with the tyre sizes you need anyway, so no big problem at all. Most aftermarket 16" wheel setups run same rim width front and back.

custardavenger

I'm running 16's all round. No problems.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Quote from: "custardavenger"I'm running 16's all round. No problems.

What size tyres are you using??
I'm running OE Bridgestones just now and would liked to have stayed with them but see they dont make them in a narrower fitment.

aaronjb

I ran 16x7 all round at one point; IIRC I was using 195/45R16 front and 225/40R16 rears.. but it's been a while, I could be wrong on that!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

AllanE

I have 16x7 front and 16x8 rear with 185/50 and 205/45 T1Rs - exactly the same rolling radius so keeps the ABS 'puter happy.

manchestermatt1986

I have 16" all round and they came with same tyre diameter. Now the thing is i have a set of 16" team dynamics and a set of old mr2 so there all 15". iv heard over and over putting wider tyres on the back. Is it a massive difference and ontop of that, will i come accross any problems as above like abs or anything

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

scottish_turbo

By losing the stagger you increase the chance of oversteer which has caught many a driver out over the years! Toyota designed the car to have the stagger as this is the best setup for the majority of the buyers and the safest. If you do not know what you are doing you will increase your chances of spinning the car. I would recommend that you run your wheels with staggered tyres.

manchestermatt1986

Ahhh, and here's me thinking I was getting good at sliding the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I believe they staggered the wheels I'n 2003< due to so many being spun out or near crashes being reported
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

loadswine

All Roadsters have a staggered setup from the factory, just earlier cars had 15" rears.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Oooooh, this is interesting to know.  Certainly answers why mine seems to oversteer more than expected - got 17's all round (think they are 7 wide too).  Althoug the other half did insist on putting wider tyres on the rear when I changed them recently.

I'm a steady driver anyway, so hopefully should be ok.....

aaronjb

The same diameter all round is perfectly fine.

The same width of the contact patch all round is not fine (unless you want to ignore everyone's advice of course - it's a free country, after all).

So 15/16/17" all round is perfectly OK (as Nigel says, the early cars had 15" all round), but stock wheels are staggered width (6" front and 6.5" rear or 6.5" and 7" IIRC, depending on year) - you can achieve roughly the same effect even if your wheels are the same width (e.g. 7" all round) by staggering the tyre width (e.g. 205 front, 225 rear - sizes vary depending on how wide your wheel is).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: