1st time you seen the 2

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2004, 09:08

Anonymous

I remember I was starting a new job in Newport I was 20 and the 1st time I was earning half decent money. I was on the M4, it was sunny and I seen something in my right mirror, 1st I thought it was a porsche but it looked smaller and better. It flew past and I thought, im having one. @ 20 insurance would have been a none starter. I waited and waited and a year ago I got one. Plus today I had my roof down, what a lovely day. Forgot how much it wakes you up in the morning. Im buzzing.

GSB

I saw a green one on the M25, and thought "Jeez, thats UGLY!"...

After that I never really considered it, until a friend of mine who used to write for Evo tested one, and didn't have a single bad word to say about it. In fact he loved it.

So I ordered one... First time I ever looked at one up close was at the dealers when I picked it up  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Thankfully, its an awful lot easier on the eye in silver...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Comer

First time I saw the '2 it was on TV in the advert where the bloke is sitting in the snow and whacking himself with a branch crying 'Mama' or something  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Sh*te advert but the car sold itself to me.  Plus the fact that I didn't want an MGF or MX5 and couldn't afford my mates Lotus!
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

First time I saw it I thought it looked fugly too.  Still do from some angles.

That said, when I walked into the workshop and saw the car sitting there fully polised, mine, for the first time (I bought it unseen)... I was gobsmacked at how good it looked.  And I'm still like that today.

Anonymous

I was 17 years old and just been at the cinema with my mates and we were walking through the car park back to my old mini and there was a silver one sat there idling and we were all like "that is awesome" and from then on I wanted one and low and behold 4 years later I am driving around ine my 2 ... awesome!

Also I forgot how good the roof down is to clear a hangover .. I got a good dose of fresh air this morning!  wonderful!

Anonymous

One parked outside my house in Ealing, I saw it from the back at first, and thought it looked like nothing else....weird, but very sporty.

Didnt see another one for over a year.

Slacey

The first time I saw a '2 in the flesh was at my local dealers... I thought I had better try one for size seeing as my order was being proceesed from a few weeks earlier!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

MRMike

I saw one at the Motorshow, and my intial impression wasn't favourable.  I was then speaking to someone about a year later when he said what car would I be getting next and I said, completely out of the blue "probably an MR2" It was weird as I really hadn't considered them..then when I saw the 03 model in Oxford with a hardtop I thought it looked absolutely stunning.  I then went and grabbed a brochure, in which there was a Silver car with red interior, I thought thats for me, and the rest they say is History!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I was in Wigan(!) for a meeting for work.  There I was traipsing across the car park, and what do I see but a lovely silver convertible sports car with a....

(at this point I'd love to be able to tell you that I saw an Elle MacPhereson lookalike at the wheel, but sadly it was an old bag; however, I digress...)

...and I thought the car was awesome - like no other I had seen.  I liked the fact that it was exclusive and started to read up on it in mags like Evo (who really rated it).  When I found out the insurance group was only 13 I set about trying to find a decent one to buy, second hand...

The rest is history...   s8) 8) s8)  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I have no clue really where I first saw the '2, however I test drove one as an alternative to the MX5 (more common but more practical) or MG (better looking but with a flawed seating position apparently) and decided after reading rave reviews (only the MX5 1.8i equals it for performance and agility) I would only but a MR2 myself if it was;

Black with a wing/bodykit or Hardtop
Less than 20,000
In near showroom condition
Right hand Drive
Less than £12,000
Performance modifications welcomed.

A month later I stumbled across this EXACT car on e-bay being imported from Japan and bid  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

As they say the rest is history...  s8) 8) s8)

loadswine

I first saw an MR2 up close and to sit in, in my local Mr t showroom.It was yellow with hardtop, amazement! I could fit in a sportscar! and what a car. Yes it never has struck me as the prettiest car on the planet,but it has that presence that said I had to have one. Not worried about ugly, cos my main car is a Fiat Multipla, don't come much wierder,but I learned that looks can be deceptive as that is an amazing car too.
Have to say that a lot of members cars I have seen look very cool indeed .I am glad I listened to the little mad voice inside and bought one.Not new,but WOW what a load of fun,really glad I didn't go for an MGF.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"cos my main car is a Fiat Multipla

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Just funning  s:D :D s:D  

I saw my first '2 on the way to work a few years ago, it flew past my Rover 2 series Coupe (Proper Coupe & not the pretend 2 door 200 series) & I thought wtf  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I had always liked the Mk 1 (Even tried to trade a BMW 316 (1985) for one) & 2 but being young when they were out could never afford one  s:( :( s:(  

After a few mistakes, Pug 206 etc I finally decided last summer that no other car was going to measure up to my idea of THE car & bought my '2. (Even sold my beloved Honda CBR600RR (& the Pug) to buy it)

Never looked back  s:D :D s:D

Hope4Sun

Saw my first 2 in a magazine, i think it was autoexpress i think, my mate shoved it under my nose when i had exhusted all the other convertiable options  s:) :) s:) . I remember saying i did not like the current (MKII) MR2 very much and he kept saying, no its a new one!!. Took one look at it and gave the dealer a call, only to find that there were no 2's in the country yet and had to wait 2 weeks for there 1st delivery.

Love at first drive though  s:) :) s:)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

We were driving home one night at dusk and this thing passed us whilst it was turning off the motorway. We only saw the back and I noticed the spoiler. My wife asked me what it was. I had no idea. I think now it may have been an MR2.

A few months later whilst we were looking for a car, we went to see a sillicar and outside was an MR2 which my wife noticed before me. She suggested we took a look at it.

SteveJ

The first time I saw a '2 was on Top Gear, just as the SMT was launched, and all I remember is V.B-H hooning around with a huuuuuge grin on her face.

About a year later, one rainy Saturday afternoon, I was passing the local MrT, when I saw a bright yellow Elise S1 for sale on their forecourt which I took out for a test-drive. After about 1/2 mile, I took the car back, as all of my fillings had started to come loose and I had a rather damp bum from a leaking roof  s:( :( s:(  

Back in the showroom I spotted a rather nice Lagoon Blue '2, and discovered to my surprise that when you sat it in, the cup holder was magic - cups of coffee kept appearing in it. Even more to my surprise, I wasn't hassled by the sales team - they could see I was hooked and all they had to do was wait. 3 cups of coffee, and some serious climbing around the car later (even managed to get underneath as the car was on display ramps), all I had to do was look at the salesman, and he arrived with a set of keys to their SMT demonstrator.

Off we go on cold tyres and wet roads, and immeadiately I have my first sideways moment since my brother sold his 7'esque kit car 2 years earlier - this was greeted with huge grins on both mine and the salesman's faces, and I announce we need to go back to the showroom to do the paperwork. Being a slow afternoon, I was talked into staying out in the car, and it was nearly 2 hours later that we finally returned just before we ran out of fuel  s:D :D s:D

The next morning I arrived at the dealership to take delivery of their ex-demonstrator Silver SMT.

I'm now on my third '2 and haven't regretted a single moment of it (despite a couple of major mechanical failures, and a brief flirt with the purchase of an S2 Elise last year)

All I can say is  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

Saw my first one on the car park of the NEC after a Robbie Williams gig (went with the missus  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ). Was a silver one and looked the mutts nuts to be honest. I had seen pictures, but wasn't that impressed in the mags. Ok, the write ups we top notch, but I wasn't that bothered by it, considering I know the reputation of the Mk2 and had already owned 2 Mk1s (MUCH better cars than the Mk2. Yep, I have driven the Mk2.........eugh!).

Anyway, didn't see another one for about 3-4 months and then got the chance to go to Brands Hatch and drive one there on the MrT "On Track" day, which was a good laugh actually. Anyway, after the first drive, I was HOOKED!!! So, when looking for another car, it was the 2 or an Elise. An Elise was JUST still out of reach, so the 2 it was and not regretted it at all......

Peter Laborne

It was about Feb/March 2000. I was going to put down a deposit on an MGF. Unfortunately for them I had to pass Mr T in order to get to the Rover dealership that we next door. As I was passing Mr T I saw a lovely cape green 2 in the window. I slammed on the brakes of my nice F-reg Nissan Bluebird (thankfully I was only doing 5mph so it was only a 1/2 mile walk to Mr T  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ). Took a 2 for a test drive and then put my deposit on it...........but had to wait until July before a blue one was shipped to the country. I could have had red, silver or black, but not one dealer I talked to could get me a blue one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"I was going to put down a deposit on an MGF. Unfortunately for them I had to pass Mr T in order to get to the Rover dealership that we next door.

This is exactyly the problem with our Rover dealer poor bloke!  How he ever manages to shift and MGF when a 2 is next to it i will never know

Bongo

Just after they were first released over here i think, i was doing my saturday job as a pump attendant at the local garage.

A youngish girl brought her new toy in and i filled it up for her, it looked rather nice.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bongo"Just after they were first released over here i think, i was doing my saturday job as a pump attendant at the local garage.

A youngish girl brought her new toy in and i filled it up for her, it looked rather nice.

I assume the toy was the car and she was rather nice   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: