Which one, 02 or 03?

Started by mrsmr2, March 26, 2004, 13:45

mrsmr2

I am seriously thinking of buying an MR2 soon and until now have been convinced that I would prefer the 02 and earlier models over the 03.

I've driven pre 03 models a lot but not the 03, so I'm only going on what I've read in this forum and in various magazine reviews.

The reasons for going for the pre 03 are:
- the 03 manual gearbox is not meant to be a smooth as the old when trying to change down quickly
- the ride in the 03 is firmer
- slightly reduced agility (e.g. turn in) in the 03

Also, I don't like the new light clusters at the rear, but that's only cosmetic.

However, I like the idea of the chassis bracing (I've just been reading about this on the forum) on the 03, but I'm not sure if that, or the other chassis mods, have led to the (alleged) reduction in agility.

The key criteria that would make me decide between a pre 03 and 03 are:
- gearbox
- turn in
- seats (I have a few back pains so I need a seat that will hold me in place)
- high speed handling

I would really appreciate any comments on my points especially from people who have driven both versions.

[I've seen a comparison before but that was a long time ago so I'm posting this as I'm hoping there will be more people with experience of both now.]

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

markiii

the 03 is far more agile. handles better in every way.

the braces and stiffer struts are well worth it.

the box is fine once your used to it.

as for teh rear lights, I'll happily trade with you for my 02 ones if you want.

oh, the steering is better and so is rumoured to be teh engine as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

03 seats are mucg grippoer as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

in other words, get the 03!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

arr but you can get a good cash price on some 02's out there as i did and the savng you make you can buy the bracing's and new seats !   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Some people (freeks) will say that the MR2 Roadster is a hairdressers car.

in the 03 you have 6 gears - so its clearly not a hairdressers car!.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Go for the 03 - oh, and you get fog lights   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  , although there is the fisher price radio   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

SteveJ

I've owned both pre face-lift (Y-plate) and post face-lift ('03 & '53 plates) cars, and to be honest I would NEVER drive the Y plate again. All of them have been SMT cars, so can't comment on the manual box as my experience is limited to the odd blast in other peoples cars.

The one thing I can comment on is the face-lift car has *FAR* sharper handling - the under-body bracing is absolutely superb, coupled with the slightly stiffer springs (now replaced with Eibach lowering springs) and the increased damper rates has resulted in a quantum leap in grin factor.

Where are you in the country? Maybe you can come along to the Treasure Hunt tomorrow (Saturday) and you should be able to blag a few 'demo' rides.

Anonymous

I got the standard bodykit that was offered with the 02, not seen it on the 03. 02 with a kit looks much more agressive. I love my 02, never driven an 03. Sure MR T improved on things but do I care ??????

juansolo

Nothing at all wrong with the 03 gearbox.  Infact I test drove a pre 03 and bought an 03.  The newer car was better in a lot of little ways though nothing you can really put your finger on.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

I have no complaints at all with my 2000 model, it have a Mr T bodykit (dispells any illusions about hairdressing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )  Gearbox is almost identical as 6th gear is only an overdrive (though i'd like one for long motorway journies), I prefer the earlier rear clusters and personally think the newer ones are more effeminate although the wider rear wheels look good and uprated suspension might be nice. To be honest I can fault either car, except the Automatic, don't get the SMT option and make sure you get air conditioning for the winter.

filcee

What juansolo said.  It took me a while to really get to know my '03 after having a 'Y' plate (both SMTs), but it certainly has an indefinable 'something'.  One other thing I would say is that the 03 is much easier for long haul motorway driving (of which, I do too much).  The 'Y' plate required constant attention by dint of feeling 'twitchy' (but not in a bad way), whereas the '03 is more 'settled' and less demanding of you if you really can't be bothered (like a 14 hour work day + 3 hour drive home).
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

mrsmr2

So it's about 50/50 which one to go for then?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Next question is:
Leather or cloth?

I think I read on an MX-5 site that the 03 MR2 has holes in the back of the seat which lets air through and creates aching shoulders.  Sounds feasible but does this happen?
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

mrsmr2

Thanks for the great info.

I had read that it was the changes they made to the 03 car such as making the car more stable, less prone to losing the back end (never a problem in the dry in the old car) that had led to the car losing some of its directness and feel.

Looks like they were wrong.

Right, who's going to sell me an 03, with a/c and hard top, black with red seats?

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Next question is:
Leather or cloth?
Leather definitely!!!   s8) 8) s8)    

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I think I read on an MX-5 site....
Arrrgghh you said the "M" word!!!  Please note that dirty language is not tolerated on this forum!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:D :D s:D   What they said sounds like a lot of hot air to me...

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

leather and plenty of it!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

All depends on how much money you want to spend !

filcee

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I think I read on an MX-5 site that the 03 MR2 has holes in the back of the seat which lets air through and creates aching shoulders.  Sounds feasible but does this happen?

The '03 does have holey seats, and I did prefer the non-holey seats in my 'Y' plate.  You can feel a draught, but it's only a problem if it's really, really cold out and you have the top down.  I have a hard top, so it's not an issue for me.  I don't know if one of Bama's larger size deflectors would help, but lots of people here rate them highly - might be worth asking around.  Or buy a scarf  :-) :-) :-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"- seats (I have a few back pains so I need a seat that will hold me in place)
- high speed handling

I have a 2001 version and the seats are my only real grip. They are the most uncomfortable seats I have had to endure. I am of average build, but I find the base of the seat way to narrow putting too much preasure on the upper leg and causing a numb feeling. I also get a draft between the lower seat and the seat back which goes direct onto the lower back.

I understand the later seats are a lot better, but I have not had the chance to test one.

Quote from: "mrsmr2":

Next question is:
Leather or cloth?

Leather can be bloody hot in summer and cold in winter. Cloth doesnt have this problem.

My MR2 has cloth, my "winter" car has leather with seat heating. I wouldnt bother with leather again personally. Take what you like.

Quote from: "vibratingsky"To be honest I can fault either car, except the Automatic, don't get the SMT option and make sure you get air conditioning for the winter.

There is no automatic  

Why do you say dont get the SMT? Mine is the SMT verion and it is super. If I get another MR2 it will be SMT!

Anonymous

See I'd disagree with Victor.  I don't have problems with comfort, breezes or anything like that (I'm 5'10", average-ish weight).

As to the leather... with a pair of jeans on I never noticed the cold in the winter... and in the summer it's amazing how cool it is if you leave the roof down for about 30mins before driving it.

SteveJ

Quote from: "victor"Why do you say dont get the SMT? Mine is the SMT verion and it is super. If I get another MR2 it will be SMT!

It's a standard line from people who have never driven an SMT and listen to Jeremy Clarkson and his 'flappy paddle' speech too much.

So far 3 people who have driven my SMT cars have got out and said in very loud voices 'MY NEXT CAR IS GOING TO HAVE SMT' - they absolutely love it - all the benefits of an automatic for driving in traffic with none of the 'vagueness' you get with a normal automatic 'box.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"As to the leather... with a pair of jeans on I never noticed the cold in the winter... and in the summer it's amazing how cool it is if you leave the roof down for about 30mins before driving it.

Your winter isnt as cold as mine then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Unforunatly, leaving work, or say a shopping center, to put the roof down for 1/2 hour isnt always practical is it? I am not allowed to leave my work place during my shift for any reason (not even lunch) so I would not be able to put the roof down in advance.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"Your winter isnt as cold as mine then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

True  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "victor"Unforunatly, leaving work, or say a shopping center, to put the roof down for 1/2 hour isnt always practical is it? I am not allowed to leave my work place during my shift for any reason (not even lunch) so I would not be able to put the roof down in advance.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Fair enough.  I've never had any real problems (but then it doesn't get as warm here over the summer either).  I guess each circumstance is different.

Anonymous

i have owned a pre 03 and own a 53 i would say that the build quality felt better in the 53 although this might just be a one off pre 03

the doors felt sound better when you shut them, less tiny
the ride in the 53 is a bit harder but better cornering

the acceleration i would say is slightly less in the 53 but this might be down the the thundering great big leaf i found in the air box  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

imo the 03 is a slighly better car but any 2 is ace

p.s. the sixth gear has been previously called an overdrive gear. this seems to describe it well

Comer

For me I prefer the 02 look but I like the 03 rear wheels (maybe one day), side vents (got) and member braces (got) and 6 speed gearbox (!!)
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

wouldnt worry to much about the six speed unless you have a turbo fitted which would have to power to drive it

juansolo

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "victor"Why do you say dont get the SMT? Mine is the SMT verion and it is super. If I get another MR2 it will be SMT!

It's a standard line from people who have never driven an SMT and listen to Jeremy Clarkson and his 'flappy paddle' speech too much.

Takes too long to change gear  s:( :( s:(   Otherwise it seems a giggle.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: