2006 Mr2 v 1999 Porsche Boxter

Started by silverstreaker, February 7, 2011, 22:54

silverstreaker

Hello folks.
I wonder how you might feel about my recent buy.
It is a 1999 Boxter with 46000 miles in pretty well mint condition, 1 owner since new. (Has been kept garaged with industrial humidifier unit conditioning and
neatly tucked in between a Carrerra GT  and above that a GT3 and an Audi R8!!)
My beloved Mr2 is the silver 2006 T300 20,000 miles and is pretty standard, performance wise. However the appearance is pretty lovely, with lowered suspension, body kit, rear spoiler,
hard top, red calipers and David Style bars, (waiting to be to be fitted).
The insurance for the Boxter and Mr2 is very similar, but the rest of the running costs indicate that the Boxter will cost more to run (mpg, servicing, parts etc.)
Now the question is. If I was to keep just one of them which should it be? (bearing in mind I have an estate for the shopping running about/grand kids etc.)
Over to you if you are interested.
David

aglassinthesink

When I was looking at a new car before settling on the mr2 I was sorely tempted by the boxter. I couldn't afford anything newer than 2003 but I was getting blinded by the better performance and badge. In the end I got in touch with a lad I went uni with who had a boxter. His was a 2001 one and spent as much maintaining the car as he did buying it and was soon on first name terms with his local garage as it was constantly breaking down. He sold it after he described as "a year of nightmares". This + insurance costs was the main reason I never got one so for me I'd vote for you to keep the '2 (you may get a lot of votes for the '2 on an mr2 owners forum tho  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

loadswine

If I'm completely honest, I'd have the Boxster, but with my finances, I consider myself extremely lucky to have a Roadster.
If you can stand the cost, then the German car edges it for me.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Two's Company

How many miles are you going to do in "the toy"? If you're bothered about running costs and reliability then MR2.  If you're handy with a spanner and you're not going to be doing too many miles so fuel economy isn't much of an issue then you'd be hard pushed to beat the noise of the flat six.

I think we need pictures to decide.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I don't think older 986 boxters have aged as well as the MR2.

Mike G

Quote from: "loadswine"If I'm completely honest, I'd have the Boxster, but with my finances, I consider myself extremely lucky to have a Roadster.
If you can stand the cost, then the German car edges it for me.
I'm in exactly the same boat  loadsa......  I've had 3 Boxsters which followed my prefacelift 2 but with my work going quiet something had to give, (2003 speed yellow 3.2S 986 tiptronic / 2004 seal grey 3.2S 986 / 2006 midnight blue 3.2S 987 )
I guess yours will be a 2.5 ? before they fitted a glass rear window ?        Boxsters are awesome cars and I;d have another just like that , but for gods sake be careful with the torque and RWD especially with a a lack of TC or PSM because the last time I pressed the loud pedal on a damp corner ,I lost it big time and £24,000 + later they wrote the car off.
The only other thing ,apart from running costs to contend with....is some of the misplaced "hate" you get from driving a Porsche , Even though the Box is the entry Level Porker , you'll quite frequently get reminded of it by all the green eyed monsters out there and it can be a magnet for the vandals.
It is however , I think ,the ultimate affordable (if only) mid engined roadster out there ,and as James May said on the road test with Hammond and Clarkson in the S2000 and Z4  "I don't care if its got a Hyundai badge on for the way it drives "
Good Luck and enjoy it
Mike
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

cclarke99

In my view it's not a good idea for MR2 owners to drive the Boxster, as I found it just a better all round car than the MR2. All the good bits of the MR2 but more civilised. I nearly bought one, but what put me off was the reputation for poor reliability (Warranty direct cover for the Boxster is three times that for the MR2) and the fact I couldn't really afford it. Shame as it's a great drive. So I'd keep the Boxster and have the MR2 for when it's at the dealers being fixed.

Mike G

Quote from: "cclarke99"In my view it's not a good idea for MR2 owners to drive the Boxster, as I found it just a better all round car than the MR2. All the good bits of the MR2 but more civilised. I nearly bought one, but what put me off was the reputation for poor reliability (Warranty direct cover for the Boxster is three times that for the MR2) and the fact I couldn't really afford it. Shame as it's a great drive. So I'd keep the Boxster and have the MR2 for when it's at the dealers being fixed.
More civilised , but not as raw , in the same way the 2 is more civilsed than an Elise ,
The 2 can be driven to its limit nearly by us mere mortals on the public roads but you can't get anywhere near in a boxster unless your very skilled , very brave or mental
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

K T M Rider

could just as easily not be a good idea for some boxster owners to drive an MR2 roadster, when it dawns on them they can have similar levels of fun for alot less money and with less risk to the licence.

Have not driven a boxster but I have been in the passenger seat of my bro's and although obviously impressed (it did indeed feel like a much more serious & grown-up version of my car), I was still very happy to be driving my '2' the 130 miles home straight afterwards.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

unless you want to be a nutter and push the boxter i would go the 2. the boxter is a better car but you really have to hit nutter speeds to get the same buzz and feel as if your on the edge like the 2 at more sensible speeds. i have driven a boxter and for me it money down the drain as i will always go for the 2, as i would like to keep my liesence and because the feel of the car at non nutter speeds.

markiii

says teh man with a 2zz supercharger as a future plan in his sig  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Because of this thread, I've been looking at Boxter's on Piston Heads  s:( :( s:(

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"says the man with a 2zz supercharger as a future plan in his sig  :-) :-) :-)

as i said the boxter is better car. plus i like to improve the acceleration not after top end   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

silverstreaker

Because of this thread, I've been looking at Boxter's on Piston Heads :

That where I got mine from!
At present, with me, My beloved is edging it.I need to drive the Boxter a bit more though.
When I can work out how to get photos on blog I will do so. (might have to wait till my son
comes round.
David

Don of Croy

I couldn't consider the Boxster as a) I thought the insurance was way higher than the MR2 and b) it'd drink too much (increasingly unaffordable) juice and c) nice ones were just too damned expensive. Not to mention reliability.

Very nice if you can justify it though!

Short story (true!); a (rich) friend bought an early Boxster when brand new, fancying a summer toy. After 3 or four years he'd only done 18k but maintained the service schedule every year etc etc. He returns to supplying dealer to ask for their best offer (thinking they would want him as a friend in the future) but they insult him by offering less than he would consider. So he puts it on Ebay - this was over 10 years ago when it was still a novelty. The winning bid comes from Cornwall and the buyer pays - unseen - more than £22k IIRC, more than £4k over the stealer's offer. Buyer arrives by train/taxi and looks ill - very worried - as if he's made some huge error and is about to be sick!

However, being as this is at a 'stand-up bloke's eff-off gaff' (as we don't say) the Porker is standing on the gravel drive, polished and gleaming with all paperwork intact, keys in ignition etc etc. As the buyer walks up to the car his whole demeanor changes rapidly, and before he's opened the door a smile appears. By the time tea has been taken and he's ready to leave it's double handshakes all round to anyone within reach, and away into the setting sun on a tide of euphoria.

We all assumed he'd been well and truly conned via Ebay before, and was expecting the same - but more expensive - again!

As for Porsche and the stealer - well said friend has never gone near another one (although VW/Audi have been favoured).
MR2 Roadster Lagoon Blue + SMT + Hard Top + Air Con
Volvo V70 D5 SE with loads of extras...
Honda Jazz - first choice for town use when we can\'t fit in the \'flip flop\' (MR2)

Tags: