Dealer or no Dealer?

Started by Willbott, February 13, 2011, 18:58

Willbott

Hello all @ MRroc!

I'm new here, and first of all want to say what an excellent club this seems.

I'm looking to by an MR2 very soon - I need it to get to work as we've just moved - so it's quite urgent for me to buy one quickly, and it has to be reliable.

My question is, should I wait for one I like to come up at a Toyota main dealer (an approved used car), or do you think I'll be OK getting one from an independent dealer? Do Toyota get all the best ones? Or our approved ones as hit and miss as any?

I'm after a facelift, regular manual with low miles and a warranty. I feel I should try and buy something with a warranty to give me time to check the pre-cats as I imagine a quick test drive isn't going to tell me much?

What other major points should I look for??? I know what I'm doing with BMW's, but have no experience of MR2s.

All help and advice very appreciatively received.

I'm very excited about getting this car, as my first ever car was a Fiat X1/9 and this car reminds me of that.   s:D :D s:D  

Kind regards

Will

PS. Does anyone know a good garage near bristol/somerset that could look after the MR2, and remove the dredded Pre-cats?!

Mike G

Someones going to be along to give you some good advice soon but welcome and I too loved the X19. Thats one sportscar I've always admired but never owned
Mike
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Willbott

Cheers Mike!

Love the site, very helpful and friendly.

Yep the X1/9 was a lovely car - if they didn't disintegrate before your very eyes I'd have one again in a flash.

I'm loving the idea of the MR2 though, and the fact they're galvanized is a real bonus as I'll have to use the car all year round.

I just want to get this right, and not end up with a dog of a car through my ignorance of the model.

Will

Anonymous

When you buy face lift, you almost completely remove the pre cat/oval bore syndrome.
Still remove the pre cats though.
If you can, buy from on here, a members posts is worth more than any warranty.

Toplesscouple

Welcome to the site Willbott. The Toyota approved warranty is only for cars up to 7 years old, so nearly all the facelift cars fall within this parameter, however to be worthwhile you would really need a 2005 car or younger. They can be quite pricey. I'm not a fan of dealers and any sort of warranty barring a manufacturers one so a private car, for me, would be favourite.

Willbott

Thanks guys, really good advice.

I'll look on here for one, and hopefully I'll find the right car in the next couple of weeks - or I'll be walking to work!

I'm looking to spend between £5k and £6k for the right car. 04 0r 05 plate, Sub 50k miles would be good, as would leather. Colour wise blue, grey or black. That's about it? If it's in the South West even better!

Any more tips and advice on buying - what to look out for, which areas to check etc, gratefully received.

I'll keep you posted on the hunt....

Regards

Will

frogger

I would sooner go hook out my left eye with a rusty nail than pay the extortionate prices of a main dealer.
Or take a few grand and throw it off a bridge - at least then I would understand where all the money was going!
By the time you've paid the premium for a main dealer car, you could have had most parts on the car replaced a couple of times over.

For trouble free motoring, get a 03> model. Buying one from a member on here aint a bad plan either.
When buying an 03> model the things to check are the same as with buying any other 2nd hand car.
e.g.  The sort of take it or leave it features such as :
        - Alignment of body panels correct,
        - No irregular door gaps
        - Engine management and SRS lights going on and off at the correct time
        - No mayo under oil filler cap or dipstick
        - No blue smoke from exhaust
        - No flat spots under accelleration
        - Gets up to temperature in a reasonable time and maintains that temperature throughout

And then there's features that shouldn't be a deal breaker, but something to haggle on:
        - Clutch level appropriate
        - All electrics operating correctly (inc. motorised aerial)
        - Hood condition
        - Tyre wear
        - Brake disc condition
        - Signs of seized calipers (esp. rears)
        - Alloy wheel condition (i.e. corrosion and/or kerbing)
        - etc...

Again, I stress that all of the above are NOT common roadster faults necessarily, just some of the things to look for when buying any car.
Not a full list either of course, just some pointers!

Toplesscouple

Biggest thing is to not buy a pre face lift car that's dressed up as a facelift. Having said that I've seen some late 2002 cars which are, I believe, the later model. Apparently the +04 car has better safety spec too. There is the last 300 limited edition to look out for too.

Willbott

Frogger and Toplesscouple, big thanks for the tips!

I'm definitely looking for a facelift car - if this was just a toy I think I might not be so bothered, but I need it for work now, so I think I better pay a bit more for a  greater degree of peace of mind.

You mention the last 300 limited editions - there are a few  "limited editions" out there, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on those? I've seen a few "Red Editions" - that of course are not red...! Any thoughts on these, or are they much of a muchness?

Cheers guys

Will

uktotty

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Biggest thing is to not buy a pre face lift car that's dressed up as a facelift. Having said that I've seen some late 2002 cars which are, I believe, the later model. Apparently the +04 car has better safety spec too. There is the last 300 limited edition to look out for too.
My car has facelift front and rear lights, facelift seats, all of which have cost me a pretty penny, why would you not buy my car?

dbrown

Quote from: "frogger"I would sooner go hook out my left eye with a rusty nail than pay the extortionate prices of a main dealer.
Or take a few grand and throw it off a bridge - at least then I would understand where all the money was going!
By the time you've paid the premium for a main dealer car, you could have had most parts on the car replaced a couple of times over.

always worth checking on toyota's site though
to be honest from what i've seen of mr2's toyota main dealers can be cheaper than independants
3 year since i bought mine (gone now though   s:( :( s:(  ) and it was a fair bit cheaper than most independants
my local one in durham had a 54 plate with under 50k for less than £5000 a few months ago (less than the cheapest i could find on autotrader at the time)
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"

Mike G

Quote from: "dbrown"
Quote from: "frogger"I would sooner go hook out my left eye with a rusty nail than pay the extortionate prices of a main dealer.

always worth checking on toyota's site though
to be honest from what i've seen of mr2's toyota main dealers can be cheaper than independants
3 year since i bought mine (gone now though   s:( :( s:(  ) and it was a fair bit cheaper than most independants
my local one in durham had a 54 plate with under 50k for less than £5000 a few months ago (less than the cheapest i could find on autotrader at the time)
If you want a laugh , look at some of the prices the indies on ebay ask........ I don't know if its still there ,but there was a cape green X ish plate on there for ages , nothing special and he was asking just shy of 4k if memory serves me right
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

K T M Rider

Quote from: "uktotty"My car has facelift front and rear lights..............why would you not buy my car?

for me that would be two reasons right there, beauty is in the eye of the beholder an' all that   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Biggest thing is to not buy a pre face lift car that's dressed up as a facelift. Having said that I've seen some late 2002 cars which are, I believe, the later model. Apparently the +04 car has better safety spec too. There is the last 300 limited edition to look out for too.
My car has facelift front and rear lights, facelift seats, all of which have cost me a pretty penny, why would you not buy my car?

Not a comment on your car MrTotty   s:) :) s:)  , just pointing out that some early cars have all the obvious facelift changes, including 6 speed box, so if Willbott is specifically buying one to, hopefully, avoid oval bore then check history. Again some early cars have had new engines replaced that may well be the improved spec.

Willbott

Thanks guys,

I was interested in what you thought about Toyota approved cars as I saw one the other day that was cheaper than a lot of the independent stuff, and of course came with 12 months warranty and 12 months AA cover and an MOT guarantee. Seemed like a good deal. 04 plate Red Edition, 47k miles, looked mint, £5995 from Toyota.

I've seen another one at an independent - I like the look of it and have checked out the history with Toyota, and they could confirm most of it - only issue is the dealer is being a bit of a pain. Won't even consider an offer, wont take a deposit (I can't travel to see it till the weekend), and wont service or MOT it. It's a nice car, but you expect a dealer to consider putting a 12 month ticket on for you I'd say. It does come with 3 months warranty - here's the details from the dealer.

£5995

Whilst it is in excellent condition it is not "MINT" it is a 6 year old car and as such not new, but better than the average.

The price is also not negotiable I am afraid.

04 Plate
07/2004
DEMO + 1 OWNER
MOT 13/08/2011

SERV: 15/07/09 @ 25699 MILES - NON TOYOTA AVCO MOTORS HEMEL
SERV: 06/08/08 @ 21443 MILES - "
SERV: 30/07/07 @ 17429 MILES - ANDREW ROWLEY TOYOTA ST ALBANS
SERV: 26/07/06 @ 13492 MILES - "
SERV: 28/07/05 @ 9613 MILES - "

PDI ROMFORD TOYOTA"

So that's the info I have. What do people think? A bit steep? If the guy was easier to deal with, and less abrupt I would be more tempted. Toyota couldn't confirm the St Albans service history, although they did say they had records of warranty work being carried out there, so I guess it's most likely genuine.

Love to hear what you think?

I'm right in thinking that all 04 plate cars will have the new piston rings etc???

Will

Toplesscouple

Not up on how number plates work these days, so how old is the Toyota dealer car? We were all set to do the deal on a 2000 car from a T dealer that 'had' an T approved warranty. Even paid a deposit and they sorted out the dents etc, only to find 2 days before we took delivery that indeed it was too old for the proper warranty and we would get only a generic warranty. So we withdraw. So please tread carefully Will, although it's not quite as important on a facelift car.

Willbott

Very wise advice. I'll be careful. Strangley, when I said to the Toyota dealer I wanted to buy the car, it suddenly turned out to be sold.....Felt a bit like it my never have actually been for sale.....???

The other car with the independent is a 2004 year. I really like the car, but don't like the attitude of the place. Oh well. I'm now really keen on the Red Editions having been looking at these two.

Anynoe know of a mint Red Edition with low miles and FSH up for sale???

Cheers

Will

Treboeth

If you fancy a drive Will heres one

m http://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/carview.as ... e=National m

2004 Red £5999

or similar one on Ebay for £4500 with159000miles  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Willbott

Ah ha!

Thanks Treboeth. That is the exact car I was interested in! But when I rang up it all went a bit funny. The car was not at that dealer, and then they said something about it being a customers car, and eventually said the car had been sold.....All very odd.

It's still up on the Toyota web site, so I'm not sure what's going on???

Great find though, as that is exactly the sort of car I'm after.

If anyone knows of another like that, I'd love to hear about it. Anyone got a mate who works for Toyota and might know what stock is on its way???

Cheers

Will

Treboeth

Not interested in the ebay one then

Willbott

Ha ha! No. There are a few on there that look OK though - I'll take a closer look. As you say though, if you can get one for less from a main dealer I'd rather do that.

85db

Hi Will, I know you said it's quite urgent, but is it really, or do you just want one now? It can pay off to be a bit patient, it took me nearly 2 months to find mine, and now I'm glad i didn't just buy the first one i saw. I wouldn't get too concerned about whether it is from a dealer or not, there are plenty of gems out there..
Your budget means that you should consider one with a hardtop imo, I went for one and tbh you can barely tell it's a convertible, seeing as you will be driving it all year round i think it would make sense.

Willbott

Hey 85db. Good point. I'm panicking a bit as I'm buying a house, moving town etc all at the same time. I need to get the car before I move, but it will take at least a month or more...for the mortgage etc to go through, so I should take my time and find the right car. What's great about talking to people on here is that I'm getting a much better idea of what I'm after, which makes it easier to look for the perfect car. I've narrowed it down to 04/05 plate, sub 50k miles, manual box, leather, a RED edition if possible. Not sure about A/C? Do you need A/C on these??? I used it a lot on my BMW 330, but my old 325i convertible didn't have it and I never missed it. I keep searching and searching for the mint machine! If you see any good ones, I'd love to have a look. Many thanks for all your help.

85db

I went for ac, the way i see it, on these cars is you might as well go for every option possible, as there aren't many, and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference on price. I'm not sure whether ac is a big thing on these cars, it definitely helps keeping the windows de-misted, but if you've got the roof down it wont make any difference. And tbh i keep forgetting to turn it on anyway lol. I wouldn't be too bothered if the 'perfect' car didn't have it but it's a nice bonus.

Willbott

That's kind of what I was thinking. Great if you get it, but a bonus really. Find the straight honest car first. The other aspects are more important to me. It's really good to hear about this from you though, as you never know - some cars mist up all the time and are rubbish without A/C. Thanks for the insight.

Tags: