would a stripped out celica vvti 140 make good track car?

Started by jamfe355, February 17, 2011, 16:21

jamfe355

I want to have some legal fun doing track days, and have been looking for a while. i would love to track my mr2 roadster turbo, but dont wnat to wreck it or have wear and tear, or someone else to wreck it. I wondered if i stripped everything off a celica weight wise, did the handling....shocks, bracing etc and bought a grubby set of alloys and put semi or full slick s on, if it would be any fun?

ive got one as a daily drive and its gutless but drives great.
2002 balck MR2, Eibach springs, Apexi exhaust system, corky\'s, cusco front and rear brace, lower front tie bar,  Bmc carbon air filter plus some minor tweeks.

markiii

it woudn;t be bad it you like them fwd

but if i were buying one I'd get a bargain roadster and gut that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Ditto to what Mark said - it's a big WWD car to use as a track toy..

If you want a super cheap track toy, pick up an old Clio Williams or 1.8 16v (£700 upward) or an even older Pug 205 1.9GTI (if you can find one that doesn't smoke like a chimney) for £3-500, stick some sticky tyres on it and have at it. (I'd favour the Clio Williams myself, but that's just my motoring history showing)

Or buy a cheap (battered but mechanically sound) Roadster..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

jamfe355

its a hard one, as the celica is dead cheap. id much rather do it in an mr2. think ill look again at a raodster and then just stop dithering and make a chioce.

I really want to do the odd track day in my 240 bhpo roadster as it would be awesome, but its a bit risky...or am i being a wimp?
2002 balck MR2, Eibach springs, Apexi exhaust system, corky\'s, cusco front and rear brace, lower front tie bar,  Bmc carbon air filter plus some minor tweeks.

jamfe355

also toyotas are so well built! think im going to look for a scruffy roadster, but if i can get the celica for the price its been offered(95,000 miles £1000) its a bit tempting!

markiii

imake sure ytou get track insurance then take your own would be my advice
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

jamfe355

it does seem a bit stupid to have such a great car, perfect for track days and not use it. maybe i should fit an oil cooler and have a go first? ive done everything else to the car, im just worried about something going wrong with my pride and joy!

Ilogik

You don't have to nuts to have fun on a track, do a half day maybe, really enjoyable, i took the turbo to Malory park, not my favo track but its good for experience. Silverstone is by far the best track day I have done, if you want to try one without other cars, have a blast at curborough sprint track, your the only car on track. 2-3 laps on then come off again, whole day, not too much wear on the car, and not too bigger track either.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Stifler

I'd echo what Mark said, get day insurance and take your 2 on - much better idea imho.

Thudd

I was bricking it about binning my P&J when I was on track.
I've also heard scare stories about Roadster lacking a baffled sump, and there being the potential for the engine to go bang as a result...

aaronjb

Quote from: "Thudd"I was bricking it about binning my P&J when I was on track.
I've also heard scare stories about Roadster lacking a baffled sump, and there being the potential for the engine to go bang as a result...

I think you'd have to be pulling some sustained high-g for that.. Rockingham might be a bad track to go play on if you have sticky race tyres, for example.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

roadster sump is better than teh celica sump at least it has a windage tray

freak_in_cage

for the money you would spend on getting the celicia sorted you could give your MR2 turbo a lot of TLC. Even treats like bucket seats, lighter alloys etc to lighten it up a bit!

If you still cant face it- anything RWD IMO

Mid engined RWD would be a lot more rewarding to drive too

Stifler

My first dedicated track car was an old 944.  They can be had for peanuts these days and parts (non offical) are pretty cheap.  If you cant face tracking your 2 it might be an option worth considering.

They have great 50/50 balance, very forgiving on the limit handling and are not so quick that you get yourself in a lot of trouble!

Thought it might be worth mentioning.  All the best with whatever you decide.

freak_in_cage

Dude, before you start fiddlibg with inferior machinery, reconsider whether your prepared to track your mr2

Firstly, the mr2 is an excellent choice to track. Quick enough not to slow loads of ppl down and spend all your time pulling over, not so fast as to me unmanageable or too fast for your abilities.

The safe, predictable handling will mean it will work very well on track and really teach you a thing or two about how it drives, which will make you more confident on the road.

what are you worried about? Car on car crashes are very very rare. Drive within your limits and your unlikely to hit a wall. Choose a venue which has plenty of run off, Bedford or perhaps an airfield. That way, if you spin, you will be fine!

If your really worried, you could take out track insurance, maybe £50-100 for the day which in the scheme of things isn't a massive deal.

Any other questions ask.

Tags: