Lotus day out!!!

Started by Anonymous, July 3, 2003, 15:22

Anonymous

Well boys and girls, just got back from Hethel for a thoroughly enjoyable morning.......

Went to a complimentary tour of the Lotus factory, seeing how the Elise was built and the finished product. Then, got to go out in one on Lotus's own private proving track.

Well, it was heavy drizzle when I got there and it didn't stop. So, went out on the drives first, as the weather was said to get worse. Taken out by a guy who had raced in British Touring Cars (Hyle or Hewel or something like that). Gave a small, introductory lap to show where braking and turning points were and then we were let out ourselves. Now, having driven the Elise before, I kinda knew what to expect. Fantastically communicative steering, searing throttle response, cracking acceleration and superb handling. But this was a wet track. And I was ASTONISHED!!! The car is nearly as fast in the wet as it is in the dry! Only on slow corners did this car actaully want to play a bit. I started tentatively at first, not really knowing the cars limits. Then I gradually gained confidence in the car in the wet and started to lap a LOT quicker. The guy was coaxing me around bit by bit and kept saying "Nice! Well done! Excellent! Nicely off the steering! You're a natural........" blah blah blah. I got he feeling he said that to a lot of people. So, the last few laps, he told me to have a real go, within my own limits and put my foot down a bit more. BLIMEY! these cars NEVER fail to astonish me. It is just so effortly fast. And just SOOO talkative. I eventually plucked up the courage to get through the one chicane at full chat and I got a BIG ruond of applause from the instructor!!! He then said to tickle the throttle a bit in one of the slow hairpins and oh my......................I nearly cried it was that much fun!!! I have never in my life pulled a 4 wheel, sideways drift, with LOADS of opposite lock and balanced a car on the throttle for SOOOO long in my entire life!!! What an UTTER ball!!! Stunning, stunning, stunning!!!!! Then we had to go in........

As we were pulling up, the guy turned to me and said "So, what racing have you done? What level and when did you get your licence"?

The look on his face when I told him I had only ever driven on a track 3 times in my life was hilarious! He thought I was taking the piss!!! when he actually beleived me, he was seriously congratulatory and said that I must be a natural!!! Nice of him I thought!!!

Anyway, back in for the factory tour, which was excellent!!! Its a real "family" atmosphere there, but they have modded the factory to still be "high-tech". All the computer bods are in offices that are actually housed along side the production lines of both the Elise and the XV220. Its a clean, open space with loads of room and each car is made to order and contrary to popular belief, each car IS actually hand made. No robots. Anywhere. Really enjoyed the tour and was facinating seeing how the whole thing is glued together. Top stuff.

Then back to the flying laps with the instructor. Went out with the same guy and it was raining a little heavier, but still this guy threw the car about the track and was sideways, showing off when he could!! It wasn't a HUGE amount faster than I was taking it when I could, but as he obviously knew the track, there were places on it where he was TONS faster than I was. But even so, well worth it........a great morning out.

Now, I have to confess. I LOVE my car, I really, really do. I adore it. But if someone was to offer me an Elise tomorrow, I was break their wrists off snatching the keys away from them. The more I drive one, the more I just cannot beleive what Lotus have come up with. I know that some mag reviews have said that the '2 is a close drive to the Elise and I can kinda see where they are coming from. But for sheer driving thrills, speed, handling, communication between car and driver and the sheer altogetherness of such a small, lightweight car, you really cannot beat it. There is NOTHING out there that gives the same kinda package this side of a Catherham. Truly astonishing little thing and I want to sell my Grandma now............

Slacey

Had a good day then John?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

How'da guess?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Peter Wright

As a point of interest, was nothing said about Lotus changing engines
to the Toyota 1.8 VVTi producing 189 bhp, as in the Celica

Source:- Car Magazine, August edition, Page 33
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Nothing by Lotus as such, but a guy who was there on the same tour was talking about it. He said that cos he has an Elise himself, Lotus send him a magazine every month and he said there was something in that about it.

But it was only mentioned in passing. It sounds like it is going to be for the S3 version of the Elise, which is going to be spruced up for the States too. More luxuries and the wot not, but looks like good ol' blighty will get all versions, including the Jap engine.

But that is all I know about it. Sorry.........

Hope4Sun

Sounded like a good day then  s:) :) s:) , its fun up at the factory track, wish i had known you were in the area, i only live about 8 mile away from the factory   s:? :? s:?  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

DOH!!!! Didn't think to ask anyone to be honest! Sorry!!!

So, you been up on the track there then? It is a lovely shaped track, just a little long in the tooth in terms of surfaces. Lots of pot holes (whic hte Elise just soaked up at 120mph!) and so on and they said that they have no immediate plans to change the surface cos all the foibles help in the preparation of a new car.

I never thought of that................  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Where are you then Andy?

Anonymous

I think the Elise is a superb car too - the only real downside for me is that roof... too much of a pain in the bum to remove and put back on (and it leaks REALLY BADLY!)... if they sorted that then i would think about getting one!   s:) :) s:)  I knew someone that had one, lovely car it was but it let so much water in that he had to put towels on the floor to soak up the water for the next day! In the end he got himself a Boxter....   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think the Elise is a superb car too - the only real downside for me is that roof... too much of a pain in the bum to remove and put back on (and it leaks REALLY BADLY!)... if they sorted that then i would think about getting one!   s:) :) s:)  I knew someone that had one, lovely car it was but it let so much water in that he had to put towels on the floor to soak up the water for the next day! In the end he got himself a Boxter....   s:? :? s:?
They have sorted it out on the latest versions of the S2.  Now it's very easy to fit and remove and (if you do it properly, which is pretty easy now) it won't leak either.

--H--

Anonymous

Agreed Hardcore. Part of the tour was the testing facilities and they have built, especially for the S2 a complete water room, so they take EACH car through it with engineers sitting inside it and PUMMEL them with water. We saw two guys in a green Elise come out SOAKED when it was going through. But they just towelled themselves down, got back in, tweaked a few nut sna bolts here and there and then hey presto, a completley watertight car. Cracking stuff.

Also, we were out ALL MORNING with the roof on and raining quite hard yesterday and the car didn't leak once.

And the roof is now only a 20 second job if you know what you are doing. They gave us a go and it is pretty simple..........

Chris

Don't say that!!   s:x :x s:x  

now look what you have gone and done.... destroyed my only credible reason for not getting one...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

oh that and the small matter of finance...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"As a point of interest, was nothing said about Lotus changing engines
to the Toyota 1.8 VVTi producing 189 bhp, as in the Celica

Source:- Car Magazine, August edition, Page 33

I THINK that will just be the heavier US model, but I could be wrong.

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"There is NOTHING out there that gives the same kinda package this side of a Catherham.

Elise summed up in one line, absolutely spot on.

What I would say though is that the Mr2 is a far better road car and is FAR better put together.  But if you want the ultimate jack of all trades road/track car and can put up with it's foibles, there is no other choice than the Elise/VX220 derivitives.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Yup, my thoughts exactly! I want one of each!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: