Carbon FIbre 3M Vinyl

Started by aj-mr2, March 27, 2011, 13:18

aj-mr2

Hi All, this is my first post on here, I have been waiting to have the time to take some pictures of my MR2 and after installing the Apex springs, head unit and Carbon fibre vinyl I have managed to take a few!

Couldn't find a rear bumper I like the style of so have set about modifying the existing one, Carbon Fibre 3M vinyl to highlight the grill more and may look to getting some rear spats for the corners??

I also managed the door handles to cover those scratches, at my first attempt of vinyl I am quite pleased   s:D :D s:D  

Next is the side vents   s:D :D s:D  

DannyN

Red roof ???
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

My thoughts too.
Also, although i work for 3M, epic fail on the carbon fibre.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ilogik

How much can you get the protective film for Nelix? and how hard is it to apply for a noob.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

aj-mr2

Each to their own, I bought the car a month ago because the red roof just looks classier!!

And the vinyl looks awesome too! Much happier with it

bigwillcv36

I think the roof looks fantastic (tho I guess I would!). Really like the wheels too, look great.
Not so sure about the hoody & cap tho  s;-) ;-) s;-)

I even like the carbon fibre look, sits really well with the black body, and the partialy de-badged rear is definitely the way to go  :-) :-) :-)
Nice car mate.
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

DannyN

Quote from: "aj-mr2"Each to their own, I bought the car a month ago because the red roof just looks classier!!

No offense meant at all, I was just curious as to how you managed to get a Black car with a Red roof ?

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

kentsmudger

That's not a bad look imo - Quite subtle on a black car (talking about the tape-not the hoody!)
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

aj-mr2

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I'll let you have the hoody and cap, was wearing doss clothes as was cleaning the 2 next on the list TRD sideskirts!

aj-mr2

Quote from: "DannyN"
Quote from: "aj-mr2"Each to their own, I bought the car a month ago because the red roof just looks classier!!

No offense meant at all, I was just curious as to how you managed to get a Black car with a Red roof ?

It's a factory standard choice, I worked as a sales executive for toyota years ago and always loved the look.

Patch

Nice car.  Vents are gonna look nice when you cover 'em.

DannyN

Quote from: "aj-mr2"
Quote from: "DannyN"

It's a factory standard choice, I worked as a sales executive for toyota years ago and always loved the look.

If it was a factory choice then wouldn't there be at least one other in the club ?

[/size]

JiMR2

Nice touches you've added there mate!

Never seen a 2 with a red roof bar the RED edititon sables... Unless its had its roof done at some point n had a red replacement maybe? Love the look, just never ever seen another one before...

Green n tan
Blue n tan
Sable n red

But that's it as far as my limited knowledge knows!  s:) :) s:)  we digress tho! Lovely 2!!!!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

AmeR

Back in the day when I had my black 2, I came across a red edition's roof on eBay that I would have loved to have bought and put on mine. Buy it now was something like 600 though!!  s:( :( s:(

Think it looks a great combo but I was only aware of the Red edition having the red roof available!

Anonymous

Never a factory option, end of.

Allessio, i can enquire if you wish, if there is interest i could possibly get a GB up and running.

mrzwei

If you get a red roof with the sable, then clearly it was available from the factory, but maybe not to the UK market.  
It's a funny thing with options, I bought a new Cortina in Germany many years ago and was able to get it as a two door, an option which was not offered in the UK.
Buy a car in Holland and you can get some really weard specs, I had a company Opel which bore no relation to the the same car here in terms of spec.
At the end of the day I guess the red roof is just a part number the same as the jspec badge.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

aj-mr2

Quote from: "nelix"Never a factory option, end of.

Allessio, i can enquire if you wish, if there is interest i could possibly get a GB up and running.
Quote from: "DannyN"It's a factory standard choice, I worked as a sales executive for toyota years ago and always loved the look.
Quote from: "DannyN"If it was a factory choice then wouldn't there be at least one other in the club ?

Just to clear things up, it wasn't a question, I was telling you it was an option  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bekatee

The red roof looks sleek   s8) 8) s8)   like how the wheels match it too... better that it isn't a factory option as it makes it less common colour combo!!
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

andyroo104

Car looks great mate,you have made it your own with a few subtle mods and love the look of the roof and wheels too.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

andibell

Nice work with the vinyl, looks really good.  How complicated was it?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

aj-mr2

Quote from: "andibell"Nice work with the vinyl, looks really good.  How complicated was it?

I tackled one of the smaller pieces first and it took a while to understand how the vinyl reacted, but after that it it was fairly easy, there are a few minor creases that if they don't disappear as the vinyl relaxes I may re-do the section

Ilogik

Is it easy enough to work with? Want to do my side skirts once there painted. Would get bumper done to but nowhere wants to do it without a cut out guide.

aj-mr2

Quote from: "Ilogik"Is it easy enough to work with? Want to do my side skirts once there painted. Would get bumper done to but nowhere wants to do it without a cut out guide.

I think so, the back of the vinyl has a grid to it which lets you squeeze the air out easier, as long as your scalpel is sharp and your careful with the heat gun the sideskirts should be easy (I am after some TRD reps where did/are you getting yours from?) I wouldn't tackle a whole bumper but I have a guy that does big vinyl work for me in Worcester and would be happy to pass on details if you like? he seemed very confident to do mine if I wanted it?

Ilogik

My skirts are a bit of a bugger due to the shape.yes if you could pass on the details that would be great.

Mike G

Maybe the roof was an option , infact I think the OP's right " end of "
Nice car mate , and liking the carbon look
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Tags: