toyo's Vs Potenza's

Started by Anonymous, March 31, 2004, 09:13

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Could someone tell me about the wear on the proxies .... its getting time to look for new tyres ive been happy with the stock potenzas that were on the 2 when i bought it and they have lasted a good 20k+ miles so far am i likely to see just as good milage out of the proxies and will i still get the nasty wear on the inside inch of the fronts like the potenzas (which seems to be the cause for the knocking which has just appeared   s:? :? s:?  ).

Thanks...

Sorry if this has been covered ...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "theWizard"ive been happy with the stock potenzas that were on the 2 when i bought it and they have lasted a good 20k+ miles so far
You got 20K out of a set of tyres  s:?: :?: s:?:  Steve will tell yoy that your not trying hard enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Liz has only just changed the proxies on her car and im sure they were on their for AGES!

Just get some - they are cheap as chips and so much better than the stock rubber... nuff said!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Just get some - they are cheap as chips and so much better than the stock rubber... nuff said!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

no this is what made me think about the proxies ... but ive just recieved a quote from my local merityre -
Toyo's == £346 all in.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Brigestone == £335 all in ....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

is this a rip off ?

markiii

yes, in a word, I paid £168
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Just looked at myTyres.co.uk and they offer the tyres at £40 each ... now how do i get em fitted ?

SimonC_Here

Wander down to Quick fit?

Actually the local MrT fitted mine for me.
didn't cost me anything as they were changing the alloys due to bubbling.

Simon

Anonymous

On the mytyres web site they can recommend a place near you taht will fit them.

markiii

qwik fit will normally chages £30 ish inc vat, balancing, valves e.t.c to fit tyres they haven't supplied.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul russell

I've just had a new set of Bridgestones fitted and the car feels so much better. Mine lasted over 20K miles also and I don't hang about  s:) :) s:)  

I think you have to be careful comparing tyres as alot of people compare the worn out tyres they have just had taken off with their brand new set. Obviously, with the new tyres on the car is going to feel better. I don't really have a problem with the Bridgestones, only when they were getting low on tread, then they were awful! But that's the same with any make of worn tyres. Mine were worn on the outsides of the fronts, does anyone with other tyre brands get this?

SteveJ

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "theWizard"ive been happy with the stock potenzas that were on the 2 when i bought it and they have lasted a good 20k+ miles so far
You got 20K out of a set of tyres  s:?: :?: s:?:  Steve will tell yoy that your not trying hard enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Too right - 20K from a set of RE040's (Potenza's) needs a girlie driving style. Having said that, the RE040's on my new car have done 14K so far, and I reckon probably have another 2K left on them (especially now the dry weather is here). The extra mileage can almost certainly be attributed to the traction control and VSC on the '03 SMT - the set of RE040's on my first car (also SMT but pre '03) only lasted 10K

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"On the mytyres web site they can recommend a place near you taht will fit them.

Just did that ... whats funny is the place that they recomended is the place that quoted be £345 for the full thing .... so if i buy the tyres from my tyres and get them fitted by this place i will save about £145 !!!   s:? :? s:?  

whats going on .... Ahhhhhhh

heathstimpson

Quote from: "theWizard"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"On the mytyres web site they can recommend a place near you taht will fit them.

Just did that ... whats funny is the place that they recomended is the place that quoted be £345 for the full thing .... so if i buy the tyres from my tyres and get them fitted by this place i will save about £145 !!!   s:? :? s:?  

whats going on .... Ahhhhhhh
Have you tried to see if the place recommended will price match to save the bother of posting them to you  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

simple most numpties will pay whatever a tyre place tells them too.

fortunately you know better  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Have you tried to see if the place recommended will price match to save the bother of posting them to you  s:?: :?: s:?:

Hmm not a bad idea that .... does it often work ?

markiii

worked for Liz last week

heathstimpson

Quote from: "theWizard"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Have you tried to see if the place recommended will price match to save the bother of posting them to you  s:?: :?: s:?:

Hmm not a bad idea that .... does it often work ?
Some places are good others aren't. No harm in trying eh  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

well i have replyed to their quote email so lets see what happens ... stay posted !  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Which Merityre are you using?
I have a frightening tale of their inability to fit tyres to my MR2.
I personally wouldn't touch the one in Kingston or Southfields.

Ian

Anonymous

this one is in Leatherhead

Anonymous

Well it does not look like merityre are going to get back to me so the search continues ... if there is anyone here who has had these tyres from a local shop (surrey) could you let me know where and what you paid ...

thanks

Liz

Lovely new set of Toyos fitted today - all in price £200, and lasar alignment - which did not need adjusting. They feel great!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Comer

My alloys have finally succumbed to bubbling and I'm getting them changed by Mr T on Sat.  

It's a shame that my Yoko's still have some tread after 13k miles as I was hoping to get them to put some Toyos on the new wheels.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

SteveJ

Please refer to http://www.mr2roc.org/content/reviews/tyrereview/tyrereview.php for a subjective review of various tyres

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Comer"My alloys have finally succumbed to bubbling and I'm getting them changed by Mr T on Sat.  

It's a shame that my Yoko's still have some tread after 13k miles as I was hoping to get them to put some Toyos on the new wheels.
Exactly the same for me but only done 8K so cannot justify changing the tyres yet when the new alloys come in a couple of weeks. And my alloys were under a year old  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tags: