3M Carbon Fibre Fail

Started by inert2k3, March 31, 2011, 20:04

inert2k3

My sample piece (about 10cm by 20cm) of 3M CF vinyl arrived today. I tried it on one of the sills but had real trouble getting it smooth around the corner shown below:

I used a hair dryer to heat up the vinyl which made it more flexible. I also used my shell points card to smooth out the creases, but I just couldnt get it smooth and crease free on that corner no matter how many times I tried.

Any ideas  s:( :( s:(
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Ilogik

your trying to apply it to a  sshit shit sshit  surface, hence why it fails  s:P :P s:P  It works on the same principle as a sucky pad. Try sticking a sat nav pad to that and it won't be able to grip.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

inert2k3

But I saw youtube clip of an entire Ferrari getting wrapped in this stuff and surely there are move complex curves on the body of a Ferrari than on the door sill?
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Ilogik

Did you see it being applied to the bodywork or rought plastic trip?   s:P :P s:P

inert2k3

02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Ilogik

Yup whole body is nice clean very shiney smooth surface  s:P :P s:P  Not rough stuff, if you want CF wrap just do it in CF, I did my arm rests in the door, quite easy, stinks though, can buy a kit for £50 from carbon mods.

Anonymous

try a heat gun like a paint stripper it will heat it up more

aj-mr2

Illogic is right, the surface needs to be super smooth and super clean, it may still be possible to apply it if you get the vinyl warm enough to sit into the grooves of the plastic. I used a heat gun when I did mine and found it much easier to force it into areas with my finger rather than a plastic applicator

aj-mr2

Also worth mentioning that after cleaning I used spray alcohol to clean the surface, nail polish remover would work too

inert2k3

thanks for the tips guys
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Tags: