Tyre Tyres Tyres - Add your tyre reviews to the ROC database

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2004, 13:49

AJRFulton

Quote from: thetyrant on June 30, 2021, 20:24Im on Zestino Gredge 07RS they are awesome...pretty soft compound so life wont be as good as the Yoko but the grip is unreal and pretty decent in wet as well - here they are...  https://www.zestino.eu/en/gredge-07rs/

How are these tyres? Never seen much of a comparison between them and other tyres, so don't know how to class them.

Are they track tyres that are road legal (888R, AR1, A052, etc)

Or road tyres that are suitable for the track (Federal RSR, AD08, NS-R2, etc)

thetyrant

Quote from: AJRFulton on July  6, 2021, 20:37Im on Zestino Gredge 07RS they are awesome...pretty soft compound so life wont be as good as the Yoko but the grip is unreal and pretty decent in wet as well - here they are...  https://www.zestino.eu/en/gredge-07rs/

How are these tyres? Never seen much of a comparison between them and other tyres, so don't know how to class them.

Are they track tyres that are road legal (888R, AR1, A052, etc)

Or road tyres that are suitable for the track (Federal RSR, AD08, NS-R2, etc)

Road legal track tyres im very impressed with them better in everyway than the Federal RSR i had on previous, mine are the softer compound and stick like glue in dry and pretty decent in the wet as well.

Like you i couldnt find much online about them but what i did was enough to make me give them a go and glad i did :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

moca2cv

Year of Roadster: 2002

Rear wheels: 6.5"x15" (OEM Toyota)
Rear Tyres: Federal RS-R 205/50r15
Front Wheels: 6" x 15" (OEM Toyota)
Front Tyres: Federal RS-R 195/55r15

Supplier: Ebay 
Cost: Not a lot

Suspension mods: BC Coilovers, polybushes, Hardrace toe arms, strut braces front and rear, OEM ARBs.

Comments:
I got on well with RS-Rs on my old MX5, so thought I'd give them a go on this. So far I've used them on two trackdays as well as a little bit on the road, and they're a great tyre, giving plenty of grip, nice predictable handling, and progressive slip. They've worn reasonably well too - plenty of life left so I think they'll manage a couple more trackdays no problem!
They are not as grippy as 888s or similar, but they were half the price, and anyway, too much grip with 140bhp isn't as fun!
My only negative comment would be that the sidewalls aren't all that stiff, so the car can feel a little unsettled in a chicane for example, but a wider wheel and a little stretch should help.
The other thing to note is that these tyres are deadly on wet leaves. Rain is fine, and even standing water so long as you take it fairly easy, but if it's wet and autumn leave the car and walk 😂

Solid 8/10 tyres for a bit of fun.

Gibla

Bought a set of 15'' Speedline wheels in white to fit onto the 'Superblue' < was very dubious about white, but they actually look pretty good and are what is pleasing to these eyes :- 10 evenly spoked wheels.

Anyways I digressed with those comments, I had already got a set of 195/55/15 Michelin Cross Climate 2's on another car with only about 1000 miles under their belt. So decided as I was going to use these as an all year round tyre asap- why not put them onto this car. For right or wrong I looked on the recommended sizes for 6.5 J wheels + decided that the admittedly limited range of 205 Michelin Cross Climates could be mounted at the rear.

So to cut a long story short :- the summary of what is on the car

195/55/15 Front, 205/60/15 Rear, 26psi F, 32 psi R .

So very much NOT a low profile tyre, but I noticed the ride and general 'crashiness' over bumpy shitty road surfaces was much improved. The road-holding, pointiness, general sharpness is maybe(v difficult to decide) a tad less, but a very worthwhile trade-off if that's the case IMO. Noise levels:- normal, Grip:- on greasy slimy roads excellent, and confidence-inspiring.

Hopefully, Michelin will continue to expand its Cross Climate 2 portfolio, my size set-up probably wouldn't suit everyone, but having had a # of tyre variations in terms of size and manufacturer over the last 18 or so months I am more than happy with this new arrangement.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Gibla

Quote from: Gibla on January 24, 2022, 16:15Bought a set of 15'' Speedline wheels in white to fit onto the 'Superblue' < was very dubious about white, but they actually look pretty good and are what is pleasing to these eyes :- 10 evenly spoked wheels.

Anyways I digressed with those comments, I had already got a set of 195/55/15 Michelin Cross Climate 2's on another car with only about 1000 miles under their belt. So decided as I was going to use these as an all year round tyre asap- why not put them onto this car. For right or wrong I looked on the recommended sizes for 6.5 J wheels + decided that the admittedly limited range of 205 Michelin Cross Climates could be mounted at the rear.

So to cut a long story short :- the summary of what is on the car

195/55/15 Front, 205/60/15 Rear, 26psi F, 32 psi R .

So very much NOT a low profile tyre, but I noticed the ride and general 'crashiness' over bumpy shitty road surfaces was much improved. The road-holding, pointiness, general sharpness is maybe(v difficult to decide) a tad less, but a very worthwhile trade-off if that's the case IMO. Noise levels:- normal, Grip:- on greasy slimy roads excellent, and confidence-inspiring.

Hopefully, Michelin will continue to expand its Cross Climate 2 portfolio, my size set-up probably wouldn't suit everyone, but having had a # of tyre variations in terms of size and manufacturer over the last 18 or so months I am more than happy with this new arrangement.

''Those tyres are taller than stock so would be more compliant. I. Theory the handling should be adversely affected but theory and practice don't always match up'' < from a well respected but un-named 'guru'

Ardent

Had you considered these all new multi discipline tyres.

You cannot view this attachment.

fawtytoo

I've just returned from the tyre centre. All 4 tyres need replacing as they're perishing.

I have EOM PFL wheels.

I compiled a list of preferences based on reviews here:
  • Toyo Proxes T1R
  • Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun
  • Continental Eco Contact 6
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE040

I'll start with #4: They are still available as 185/55 15, but not in 205/50 15. Didn't ask about FL rears.

The Continentals are not available higher than Contact 2 for the rears. Again, I have a PFL.

So it was a choice between the Toyo and Falken tyres. Opted for Falken as they are A rated for wet as opposed to the Toyo which are B rated.

Prices comparisons for those interested:
Toyo: front £70, rear £76
Falken: front £72, rear £80

I'm having them fitted tomorrow. Will give further feedback after some driving.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

rusty0273

Quote from: fawtytoo on April 19, 2022, 13:41I've just returned from the tyre centre. All 4 tyres need replacing as they're perishing.

I have EOM PFL wheels.

I compiled a list of preferences based on reviews here:
  • Toyo Proxes T1R
  • Falken Ziex ZE310 Ecorun
  • Continental Eco Contact 6
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE040

I'll start with #4: They are still available as 185/55 15, but not in 205/50 15. Didn't ask about FL rears.

The Continentals are not available higher than Contact 2 for the rears. Again, I have a PFL.

So it was a choice between the Toyo and Falken tyres. Opted for Falken as they are A rated for wet as apposed to the Toyo which are B rated.

Prices comparisons for those interested:
Toyo: front £70, rear £76
Falken: front £72, rear £80

I'm having them fitted tomorrow. Will give further feedback after some driving.

Where did you see the RE040 front 185/55 r15 for sale? Couldn't find them in stock anywhere.

fawtytoo

Quote from: rusty0273 on April 19, 2022, 13:56Where did you see the RE040 front 185/55 r15 for sale? Couldn't find them in stock anywhere.
My local independent outlet: New Milton Tyre Company.

EDIT: Who are supplied by ProTyre.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Ardent

Very happy with the falkens when I had some. Very good in the wet.

No good to anyone following you though. Boy do they shift the water. Impressive rooster tails in the mirrors when making progress.

VC6

Falken Ziex ZE 310 Ecorun
Front 195/50/R15
Rear 205/50/R15
Stock 15 inch wheels all round with a staggered setup
Stock Suspension (KYB) with H&R Lowering Springs
It was hard sourcing tyres for the 15 inch wheels, I ended up getting the Falken Ziex ZE310s for about 320 euros
I had a limited budget otherwise I would have gotten the Toyo TR1s that would cost me about 450 euro
The Ziex ZE310 compound is a very good economy type tyre that still has some good grip for performance driving, my main use for the car is the touge , I noticed during summer where grip is at it's peak and I push the car hard that after 2-3 passes of the 5km tarmac rally style course that the tyres started to overheat and lose grip , I had lots of understeer and the car was slipping around all over the pass, after they cool down grip was restored, at an autocross event I had to drop the front tyre pressure to 28 psibecause the car was almost undrivable on the slippery course, i usually run
32 PSI Front (cold)
34 PSI Rear (cold)
I always carry with me a tyre pressure gauge to drop the pressure if needed to up the grip, that's all for dry conditions
In Wet conditions since the tyres don't reach high temperatures and don't overheat easily the grip is excelent and I've never experienced Aquaplaning with the ZE310s and the grip is almost like it's dry, that's when it's raining and theres a decent ammount of water on the street, if the road is only partially wet with high humidity the car spins very easily. Its's the first set of tyres I put on the car about a a year ago hence I can't compare them to any other tyres besided the 4 195 square setup  old Continental Premium Contact 5s it had on when I bought it..
[edit]
I'm leaving this link below to check out the review made by Tyre Reviews that is more detailed
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Falken/ZIEX-ZE310-EcoRun.htm

Ardent

They are very good in the wet.
Rarely get the hot temps in the UK like you do in Greece.

BTW
Stock fronts are 185/55/15. Pressure 26psi. 32 front is  :o  look for a little sticker in the bottom of the glove box.

Stock rear pressure is 32.

Finding correct matching tyres is a reoccurring theme on here. Welcome to the club.

Ardent

VC6

Quote from: Ardent on January 22, 2023, 23:20@VC6

Any update on tyre pressures?
hello , just saw your reply, thanks for letting me know about tyre pressures I'll check out the glove box for that label, I used to run 30 psi front 32 psi rear, I somehow felt better with 32 psi front and 34 psi in the rear tyres though, I might drop it to the manufacturers recommended pressures and test them again

Gibla

Yet another variation from OEM

PFL wheels, kybs springs + shocks (on an MR-S)

Received advice to try 195/50/15 F+R ....so went ahead + bought Yoko 08RS from Camskills.

Only done ~ 40-50 miles to date, very impressed with grip and ride (but seemingly I am easily pleased)

Two's Company

The age old tyre debate. Not many options is there?!

Standard size for FL Vector 4 season but one axle gen 2 and one gen 3. Anyone done this?

Or Eco310s. The eco name puts me off but I see others like them.

I've always had the Toyos. With a bit of extra pressure they've always been fine. But ideally I would like something a bit more modern.

Gaz mr-s

Read tests.   The Toyo has been replaced T1r > TR1 which has firmer sidewalls.  Don't be thinking the Falken has little grip, - it's predecessor was decent, & so is it. It used to be bettered by the Hankook K125,  but any new test is likely to be 16" & upwards, & Hankook's K135 will be used.

mr9

Dilema:

Just moved back to the UK and getting th mr2 back on the road.
I now get a car through work which will be my sensible car so the mr2 can be a bit more fun and less practical.

I want to put track orientatated tyres on but for the next few months my girlfriend will be using it around town and occasional longer trips in the winter as her car.

Current tyres:
Front: Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/50 R15 which have loads of tread but have been on th car 7.5 years now and have some micro cracks on the shoulder

Rear: conti premium contact 2, r16 which have been on for 2.5 years  and loads of tread left - these were a  last minute replacement and the best a available.

Should I stick with as is for a few months and move both axles to something like the ad08r?

Replace the fronts with conti premium contact  2s which for sure will then outlast the rears

Or replace the fronts with some ad08s now - I see they have good wet weather reviews but not not great for winter - it's not going anywhere in the snow or ice but going to be driven in the UK cold and wouldn't want the fronts to be lacking grip without a warm up lap every morning

Petrus

I´d go for a matching set of the Contis up front for the gf. They are available in 185/55 R15 82 T so ...

tow

If you can wait, go for Yoko AD09. The correct (OEM facelift) dimensions will be available later this year.

Tags: