Rear bin audio build...

Started by JiMR2, April 10, 2011, 19:28

nathanMR2

Quote from: "JoniiBoii"LOVE this topic/progress thread!

But how do you cover them when say i dunno ?? You go out and have no choice but to park in an area that  your unknown too?

As this is what is putting me off making my own, all that hard work to then have them Knicked....I think the work *F**Ked off comes to mind if it ever happen'd, so do you have a fake door ? or something to cover them?

just curious if you have a solution to what is stopping me go ahead and making my own???

The seats are likely to cover your subs so you are unlikely to see them anyway. Failing that you can always buy some black material speaker mesh and cover the front. I used this to cover my parcel shelf speakers on my old car and this worked a treat.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

JoniiBoii

any pics bud?

nathanMR2

I havent mate.

To be honest the rear shelf just looked like a rear shelf. The original was dark grey but i covered the whole thing (the side you can see) in speaker cloth and glued it down. It looked like it should have been there.

Search for speaker cloth on google. 100's of places sell it. It allows the sound to come through clearly, will stop dust getting to your
speaker(s) and will hide the speakers nicely.

If i was to do this i might be tempted to cut a raised 1 or 2 cm thick outer template from plywood the same thickness as the speaker sticks out and glue this to the front of the door. Id then wrap my speaker cloth around this. It will then look a flat surface. Not essential but would stop any uneven surface.

JiMR2

As Nath says once the seats are back its a real struggle to see the subs. especially with the roof up. I'm fairly tall and have the seats all the way back on the runners and the seat angle right back as well which makes seeing the subs even more difficult.

Can get the audio carpet stealth material off Ebay, very thin acoustic style carpet to cover them over and keep em stealthy.

But personally I dont see the need for it, It'd be a real nightmare for any one trying to pinch them any ways - the 2 metal brackets secure the boxes in and they're bolted in good and proper. Takes me around 30mins to take them out with lots of swearing and smashed knuckles but they're safe and sound in there so...  

As per water coming in, annual drain cleaning and a butchers every now and then means its hopefully not gona be an issue.
AKA Cinnamon Jim

nathanMR2

Im still very impressed with your wood work Jim  s8) 8) s8)  

Working on those underdash subs has just showed how much of a PITA it can be

JoniiBoii

just thru reading the water issue that could happen ive looked for other forms i could use for bass

ive always used VIBE and enjoyed there sound so has anyone used these before ??

m http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/car/liteair-optisound/ m

are they any good?

Zoe

Does anyone have the dimensions / measurements for the boxes Jim made ? have asked him directly but have not had a reply and I have 2 subs waiting to fit  s:( :( s:(
Toot Toot, Beep Beep, new MR2 owner coming through  s]

dj2k21

Here us my build, although u can't see it all lol.
Door speakers built up with fibreglass and painted to match car.

Fibreglass sound system, 2 10" subs and some 6x9's

Produces some good bass  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

JoniiBoii

CREDIT to you! that looks really good! done yourself?

dj2k21

Who's mine? If u mean me then yes, although painted by a friend who has a bodyshops, I'm nowhere near skilled enough lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

trevsmr2

They all look good ,some serious work gone into those

Has anyone put a single sub in the section where the ashtray goes, if you removed it  ?

Roadwarrior

Quote from: "JiMR2"As Nath says once the seats are back its a real struggle to see the subs. especially with the roof up. I'm fairly tall and have the seats all the way back on the runners and the seat angle right back as well which makes seeing the subs even more difficult.

Can get the audio carpet stealth material off Ebay, very thin acoustic style carpet to cover them over and keep em stealthy.

But personally I dont see the need for it, It'd be a real nightmare for any one trying to pinch them any ways - the 2 metal brackets secure the boxes in and they're bolted in good and proper. Takes me around 30mins to take them out with lots of swearing and smashed knuckles but they're safe and sound in there so...  

As per water coming in, annual drain cleaning and a butchers every now and then means its hopefully not going to be an issue.

I now own this enclosure and its sat in my Dining room still not installed   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Now realised there is not a Car stereo installer anywhere for miles where i live.
Last bit of the car to get finished as well   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Zoe

Dont suppose you fancy measuring it all up, as still waiting on Jim to get me the dimensions for those sub boxes and would really like to start my build this weekend  s:) :) s:)
Toot Toot, Beep Beep, new MR2 owner coming through  s]

no1trancefan

Quote from: "Roadwarrior"
Quote from: "JiMR2"As Nath says once the seats are back its a real struggle to see the subs. especially with the roof up. I'm fairly tall and have the seats all the way back on the runners and the seat angle right back as well which makes seeing the subs even more difficult.

As per water coming in, annual drain cleaning and a butchers every now and then means its hopefully not going to be an issue.

I now own this enclosure and its sat in my Dining room still not installed   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Now realised there is not a Car stereo installer anywhere for miles where i live.
Last bit of the car to get finished as well   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

ill buy it if not got round to it  s:P :P s:P

JiMR2

It wasn't that difficult to build. Longest part was the measuring, cutting, testing, measuring, cutting etc.

Not that difficult at all. Just took a full day.

Give it a try, you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish!  s:) :) s:)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zoe"Dont suppose you fancy measuring it all up, as still waiting on Jim to get me the dimensions for those sub boxes and would really like to start my build this weekend  s:) :) s:)

Any Chance on the Measurements.. Got my 10" going in shortly ..  s:) :) s:)

Roadwarrior

How long did this take to install Jim as i still have it safe indoors.
Was thinking of selling it on but not sure now.

JiMR2

Heya mate,

Installing it takes no time;

remove bin doors
Connect to amp
Secure in using the 2 black steel brackets, bit fiddly but keeps em safe

Job done.

The amp installs fairly simple also. All achievable in a day with good weather.

Jim
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Tags: