Front Fog lights 2000>>

Started by Steve Green, April 12, 2011, 09:53

Steve Green

The front fog lights on my 2003 facefift are corroding inside. They seem to let in water!
Is this normal, can you get at them by removing the wheel arch liners?
Ebay seems to say that the same fog lamps are used on a Prius. Are there any other alternatives?

Any hints or work-arounds please guys.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

deadmau5

I'd be interested in this as well. I've searched fog light mould and mold and there's nothing.

Wabbitkilla

I have recently ordered some of those ebay ones around £38 ... i'll let you know if they are good.

The easiest way to replace them is to remove the bumper, not a big job really.
You will need bulbs too though as they sieze in place normally.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

deadmau5

What is the title of those lights on ebay? I've had a search for MR2 fog lights but didn't find anything like that.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "deadmau5"What is the title of those lights on ebay? I've had a search for MR2 fog lights but didn't find anything like that.

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 427wt_1130 m
and
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 427wt_1130 m

Be warned though I ordered them on the 20th and haven't seen them yet!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Wabbitkilla

Ok update time...

I had a little problem with delivery which the supplier didn't bother contacting me about.
When I chased him up he said the delivery driver had problems finding the building (bear in mind I work in a big glass building with a 20ft O2 on the front ... hard to miss really).

However, he posted them out next day delivery via ParcelFarce.
They arrived next day and I fitted them yesterday.

These are definitely the right ones, direct replacements for the original Toyota items and fit dead easy!
Be warned though, the bulbs tend to stick in them, or the corrosion welds them in place so best to get fresh bulbs while you're at it.
The bulbs are HB4/9006 types, about £10 each at online suppliers or over £15 each at Halfrauds.

You do need to take the front bumper off, best do it with a friend, two pairs of hands are better than one ... but you can do it on your own.
You need to squeeze the tabs in on the adjusters, and then gently bend the bumper catch away from the housing and then they just pop out, noo screws at all   s:D :D s:D

Steve Green

Useful info, thanks.
Looks like I will be spending money and asking for some help.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

bigwillcv36

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Ok update time...

I had a little problem with delivery which the supplier didn't bother contacting me about.
When I chased him up he said the delivery driver had problems finding the building (bear in mind I work in a big glass building with a 20ft O2 on the front ... hard to miss really).

However, he posted them out next day delivery via ParcelFarce.
They arrived next day and I fitted them yesterday.

These are definitely the right ones, direct replacements for the original Toyota items and fit dead easy!
Be warned though, the bulbs tend to stick in them, or the corrosion welds them in place so best to get fresh bulbs while you're at it.
The bulbs are HB4/9006 types, about £10 each at online suppliers or over £15 each at Halfrauds.

You do need to take the front bumper off, best do it with a friend, two pairs of hands are better than one ... but you can do it on your own.
You need to squeeze the tabs in on the adjusters, and then gently bend the bumper catch away from the housing and then they just pop out, noo screws at all   s:D :D s:D

I just had my light delivered... Cheers for the heads up on the eBay link.

I don't suppose you could post up some pics of the bumper removal part could you? I've looked in the How To section and couldn't find anything and I'd like a little guidance before I start pulling my car apart!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

Anonymous

I just replaced one of these foglights on my MR2 without removing the bumper. Just undid three screws holding the plastic undertray in place beneath the foglight - note that this doesn't come off completely as its part of the wheel arch lining, however, I was able to push it out of the way enough to get access inside to the foglight.

Getting the old one out is a bit tricky as it's not obvious how its secured. I started by taking the connector off the lightbulb fitting, then tried a mirror and torch to see how it was fixed. No screws involved, the two posts either side of the lamp simply push into sockets in the housing in the bumper with plastic clips moulded in place which ideally need to be pushed back - easy if you do take the bumper off I would imagine, but I didn't. Oh and there's an adjuster too (adjusts angle of the fog light beam) which I unscrewed as far as it would go then twisted with a pair of pliers until it broke off (there's a new one on the replacement) - not convinced it was necessary to do this but as I was working with no information so I removed it any way.

Eventually levered out the light from the front with a screwdriver using a cloth to protect the bumper - a little bit of leverage first one side then the other and out it popped.

Bulb fitting just twists out using pliers and just as easy to fit in new lamp. Old lamp was cracked and misted but bulb was fine so re-used.

New lamp just pushed into place, re-attached wire (tested it to make sure it worked) then screwed tray back up. Job done, in all about 45 mins.

Barney Bear

Thanks Guys
just ordered a pair as the other one is bound to go a week or so after lol   s:D :D s:D  

and as for the bumber removal your right would be easier with a mate helping but I did thia a while ago when I replaced the headlights
trust me if I can do it anyone can only thing I did wrong at first was to take out all the bolts from the L shape plastic at the front in the middle and there was no need
from memory think just the 1 each end works fine
also had a very large offcut of carpet as a bonus to your knees and to stop any  damaged to paint work once off

thanks again

just incase anyone doesn't want to go via e-bay there web site is  w www.crashrepairparts.com w  much easier to find

part number is A3531L and A3531R
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

Barney Bear

Fantastic service

lights arrived 10 mins ago

now for the hard bit  bet that won't be 10 mins   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well had to take the bumper off but having already done this once before seem to go a lot smoother a second time, doesn't seem to be any time saving ideas on this one
it has to come off only tip I can add the two lamp holders do indeed get stuck with the corosion but I found a large spanner that fits the hole length of the fitting and a gentle rocking movement from left to right and  the a lift with a screwdriver on each tag/locking lug  and they do come off in one piece with no damage then a good clean to get rid of the ali dust and your good to go

s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

wotugonado

bookmarked for future reference
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Anonymous

Would these work?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Prius- ... 4d09c561b8 m

apologies for the first post, i'm trying to help a friend out and change out her dead front fogs with replacements but I can't seem to find concrete information as to which fogs will fit directly and the bulb type.

Any help appreciated.

trevsmr2

Must have been written just for you

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=42850 l

kentsmudger

As per the year in the title of the thread, does anyone know if these lights are any good for PRE facelift fogs?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trevsmr2

Quote from: "kentsmudger"As per the year in the title of the thread, does anyone know if these lights are any good for PRE facelift fogs?

I didn't think Pre-facelift had fog-lights ??

andyroo104

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "kentsmudger"As per the year in the title of the thread, does anyone know if these lights are any good for PRE facelift fogs?

I didn't think Pre-facelift had fog-lights ??
They were fitted to imports, Mrs.
Andy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Wabbitkilla

I suppose the important question is, "are they the right size and shape for the pre-facelift?". The only way of knowing is finding out their dimensions and checking against the originals. I haven't seen how the originals are held in place, Spit might be able to offer some advice with that as he has looked for years at replacements. They're a bit of an odd size from memory.

Anonymous

I noticed the year on the title yet the question was "The front fog lights on my 2003 facefift are corroding inside. They seem to let in water!", maybe that's where the confusion starts   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   If these other lights are suitable it would be helpful for anyone else using them.

kentsmudger

I have answered my own question, now I have looked at the fog-lamp surrounds I have - The import lamps need 4 tabs, evenly spaced, so these are a no-go

The search continues!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

philsparks

Hi - first post here, and I know it's to a very old thread.  But I just went the process of replacing the lights in my mk3.  Took a few pictures which might be helpful if anyone is doing the same.  Here goes:

Assuming the images work you can see that once the lights are out there are 3 places they're held in.  There's a circular cylinder on either side (around 1cm long and 1cm diameter) and a hole at the back that the adjuster pokes through.

philsparks

I didn't remove the bumper, I just jacked up the front of the car and unbolted the plastic cover (it's an extension of the wheelarch liner), about 4 bolt/screws came out.  I squeezed the plastic "ears" on the back of the adjuster (the small thing on the back of adjuster bolt, only a few mms diameter) and pushed this through the little hole in the bumper.

The hard bit is getting the little cylinders out of the two holes.  You can see from the pictures above that one of them has a sort of "catch" in front of it, it's possible to get a screwdriver under this catch from behind the bumper and lever it out while pushing the light out.  Alternatively if you know where you're aiming you can do the same with a screwdriver between the light and bumper from the front. 

The other side doesn't have this catch and frankly is a pain.  I managed to get a little screwdriver between the cylinder and bumper from behind the bumper but its awkward.  If I had a plastic or wooden stick it might be possible from the front.

TBH if you have a mate to help it's probably a lot easier with the bumper off!

Hope this helps a bit.
Phil

Gaz mr-s

Yep, same topic on here just a few days ago....the listing you found is even cheaper.

minimike

Ali express, exact same as eBay fogs £14 per pair delivered last time I ordered them.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Tags: