How does this work?

Started by Anonymous, April 2, 2004, 17:24

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "spwolf"only way to "play" with those bullies is to show them the brake lights

you see, it all comes down to who is the craziest guy, and you can fool them into thinkin you are one crazy son of the

Right folks, my turn to jump in.

Never, ever, try to second guess someone or play with their heads, especially on the roads.

I used to suffer from road rage. I had a 10m area in front and behind me and 2m each side. If anyone came into that area, then I would hope that they wouldn't impede me. Even small things would make my blood boil. Falsely tapping the brake lights would serioulsy piss me off. I used to play snooker every night and carry my cues with me, which would always be in easy reach. If someone pissed me off seriously enough a wave of the extension piece would stop them "playing" and seeing "who is the craziest guy". It was me....and some of my mates hated being in the same car as me.

As I said, I used to suffer from road rage. What changed me? Having someone try to rip me through the window of my car because the car in front of me cut him up, yet got away. So picked on the next one in line...me. Now that scared me.

I knew that some people would have thought that they did nothing wrong, yet I was fuming at them. They must have felt the same as I did.

So do you really want to play with them? Do you really want to see who is the bigger psycho? Do you really want to take the chance that the person you are brake testing doesn't have a snooker cue in his/her car...or even worse a knife.

My advice (and what I now do), stick to what you were doing before Mr Jackass came up behind you. Do not react, do not wave at them...either in jest or using the middle finger, loosely clenched fist etc. A soon as possible let them past. As they drive past you, whatever you do, do not look at them.....look straight ahead, look in the rear view mirror, look at your sterio, look at your n/s mirror.....just don't look at them. That's what they want you to do and it will only make the situation worse.

heathstimpson

Your advice is probably quite right Peter but unfortunately in this stressfull world we live in its all so easy to loose your wrag when some arsehole pisses you off. Will try to remember your story next time  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

Just can't picture you as a psycho road-rage maniac Peter  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I used to get aggressive but just don't bother now. Not sure why.
AnnMarie on the other hand....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Peter's reasoning is exactly why I don't know how to react in those situations. I get EXTREMELY uptight about idiots tailgaiting, weaving, middle lane cruising, undertaking etc and these instances are becoming more and more prevelant. BUT, with the story like Peters and the one with my cousin getting accosted after he was followed home, what can you do? These people SHOULD be taught a lesson cos they are endangering lives, but who is going to do it? The number of instances I have seen two people in two different cars (behind me or ahead of me, me not involved), where something has happened and they have just been throwing gestures at each other, winding windows down at stupid speeds and shouting at each other..........it makes me sick, it really does. I am not a violent person and hate it in all forms, but I am "irritable" when it comes to driving and sometimes it is very difficult NOT to get stressed about these things, hence the original post. I just don't know. You can't win really can you?

Also, part of the problem is that regardless of the incident, when you are in your car you are "invincible" and whatever happens, its never YOUR fault is it? I personally think it might just take someone to swallow their pride occasionally and just admit they made a mistake. Not only that, the reason that we all think we are invincible, especially men, is that we ALL think we are better drivers than the next person and that is just no way true or provable, but thats what people believe.

Its a scary world we live in and getting worse, but I have to get these things of my chest occasionally cos I will burst, so sorry guys, you lot are going to have to be my sounding board!

Anonymous

I agree, like I said all this adds to road rage and people getting stabbed.

Hope4Sun

Let the w*nkers be w*nkers and get out there way, like Peter i use to sufer road rage and still do from time to time   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , but it is all the game of who has lost it to the red mist the most and things can go bad pretty quickly  s:( :( s:(  

At the end of a the day there normally driving a heap, etc and are jealous or just plain muppets, having been a passenger in a works van many years ago, when a taxi cut us up and gave us the finger, etc (Our driver was built like Donk from Crocodile Dundee by the way  s;) ;) s;)  ).

The traffic stopped just up the road for works, the guy driving the van we were in, jumps out, crow bar in had and proceeds to smash the lights, panels and windscreen in. Threatens the driver and that was that!

On a brighter note, i'm surprised no one mentioned putting a Sprinter engine in a 2  s:D :D s:D

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Darth Paul

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Then point a hairdryer out of your window right at them as they drive past.

Yeah, I keep mine in the glovebox, right next to the microwave...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

heathstimpson

Quote from: "John Woodward"I personally think it might just take someone to swallow their pride occasionally and just admit they made a mistake.
Its amazing how true that is. If someone does something really stupid like totally cut you up then puts their hand up to apologise I find I just let it go and don't worry about it  s:) :) s:)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Well I had white Astramax van up my bottom tonight flicked the lights and watched him dip  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Just as a warning I am driving a white transit down to Somerset tomorrow so beware!!  s:P :P s:P
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

are you stealing Martins car?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Damn...rumbled!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Well I had white Astramax van up my bottom tonight flicked the lights and watched him dip  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Cant you borrow a blue flashing light from one of your colleague's   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

why?

to stick it up her bum and see where the van went?

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Darth Paul

Quote from: "markiii"why?

Mmmmmm. That's gotta hurt. Makes my eyes water just thinking about it.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"why?

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I can just imagin the WVM right behind her as she reaches onto her roof  with a blue flashing light. Would he back off or what?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Liz

Made it back from Somerset I drove down, in a high top transit, S reg, thousands of miles on the clock.....speedo went up to 150mph, ha ha ha, I dragged 75 out of it and it complained all the time, oh and 3rd gear wouldn't go in without crunching.

However, I did not cut anybody up or drive on their tailgate, in fact lorry drivers were flashing me back into lanes, bless 'em.

Anonymous

A few months back after work my boss and i were driving back from work (in differnt cars on the a3 from portsmouth) a dohnut in a volvo decided i was not going fast enough and overtook me (via the central reservation   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) once back we popped in to our various local police stations and gave in his numberplate .... as a result of the two complaints from differnt people and investigation he ended up with points on his licence and a little fine ... woo hoo !!

Anonymous

As a victim of having my car smashed to bits by a f*cking pr*ck a year ago, I am also very careful when out and about and very defensive when people are near in the car.

The best advice is to "leave it".  try to calm down if anything goes on around you, as you really dont know what will happen next.  The most important lesson is that if you see anything dodgy then get the reg number.

I am a very streetwise guy and drill it into kerstie to take reg numbers when things happens, then when it happened to me, I completly forgot, its very difficult to write stuff down.  We now have a digital dicaphone in the car.  Just make a note of anything that happens, because you never ever know what could happen futher up the road !

Tags: