Route Options: West Midlands > Swansea [UPDATE]

Started by 2003bluecat, June 30, 2011, 13:49

2003bluecat

Going for a cheeky weekend away with the Mrs to Swansea next month and am debating the best route to take. Ideally I want a fun drive as I imagine Wales has some fun roads. Going to be going from Kinver which is in the West Mids/ South Staffs.

Googlemaps gives the following options:

Including toll roads and highways: M5 and M4, 146 miles, 2 hours 48 minutes

Excluding toll roads, including highways: M4. 140 miles, 2 hours 48 minutes

Excluding toll roads and highways: A4067, 111 miles, 3 hours 6 minutes.

We can write off the toll road option straight away and to be honest I'm liking the last option as that takes us through Brecon. Anyone got any alternate routes for some picturesque, enjoyable driving?? Not bothered if it takes a bit longer and some more fuel if it's more enjoyable than cruising down the M4   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

nathanMR2

It has to be A4112 route.

Its a shame your not going north wales as the roads to wales bridgenorth way are not bad at all.

We did a run there recently and theres some nice twistys. Thats unless you fancy going up a bit to cut back down further on
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

cclarke99

Although it appears a bit quicker, there are so many delays on the M4 between Newport and Cardiff, your cross country route will probably be about the same time. If you wanted to stop on the way then the A456, 44 & 483 going through Builth & Llandovery might be better

puma2

head for brecon for good roads and nice views you defo cant go past and be inpressed, there are allways delays newport to cardiff as by the tunnles only 2 lanes each way,
the more you go throw mid wales the beter drive you will have. lets no how you get on  s:D :D s:D

2003bluecat

Thanks for the advice folks.

Think I have decided on the above route, seems to add some of the suggestions above without taking us too far out of the way. Although I might change my mind when we go if it's raining   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

EDIT: removed personal details from the image   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MisterK

OK you have quite a few options - I can't make out the route on the map below but know the various routes quite well & have tried most permutations.  I regularly travel from Atherstone to Carmarthen & also used to go from Sandbach in Cheshire to Carmarthen.  

Easy route & probably quickest (not on a Friday night though!):  is M5, M50, A40 A449 to Newport & M4 to Swansea.

Easy initially but then becomes a pain: M5, M50, A40 to Abergavenny & A465 to Neath (pain due to Roundabouts & local traffic coming on & off them, plus 50 limits & cameras), M4 to Swansea.

Good fun if little traffic: A5 or A53 to Shrewsbury, A49 to Leominster, A44, A4112, A438, A470 to Brecon, A40 to Llandovery, A4069 (over Balck Mountains & used on Top Gear & 5th Gear) A474 to Pontardawe then A4067 down to Swansea (A474 to end of journey is a real pain & all  built up).

My choice because I know the road like the back of my hand - A5 or A53 to Shrewsbury, A458 to Welshpool, A483 to Llandrindod Wells (best bit), A483 (or could use B4358 to Beulah which is a great piece of road) to Llandovery, then either as above, or easier via A40 to Llandeilo, A483 via Ammanford to M4 then on to Swansea.

Why not try one route down & a different one back.  Let us know how you get on.
MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

puma2

as above , great ways to get there with lots of options for you, weather makes all the difrence to any trip mined, main thing is to have fun and stay safe  s:D :D s:D  
ps mind the sheep they are our lovers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Treboeth

Like Mark says one of these would be good for fun
Good fun if little traffic: A5 or A53 to Shrewsbury, A49 to Leominster, A44, A4112, A438, A470 to Brecon, A40 to Llandovery, A4069 (over Balck Mountains & used on Top Gear & 5th Gear) A474 to Pontardawe then A4067 down to Swansea (A474 to end of journey is a real pain & all built up).

My choice because I know the road like the back of my hand - A5 or A53 to Shrewsbury, A458 to Welshpool, A483 to Llandrindod Wells (best bit), A483 (or could use B4358 to Beulah which is a great piece of road) to Llandovery, then either as above, or easier via A40 to Llandeilo, A483 via Ammanford to M4 then on to Swansea.

Quote from: "puma2"ps mind the sheep they are our lovers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

As for this I have no Idea what he is talking abaaat(hides wellies)  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

xsarahx

Quote from: "puma2"head for brecon for good roads and nice views you defo cant go past and be inpressed, there are allways delays newport to cardiff as by the tunnles only 2 lanes each way,
the more you go throw mid wales the beter drive you will have. lets no how you get on  s:D :D s:D
I agree with going to Brecon, i live a few miles away from there and often go there for a drive, i fall in love with my 2 all over again when i drive on those roads, watch out for loads of bikers though ! They love the lanes there too.
And if you see a blue Suzuki Hayabusa it will be my father...........so give him a beep !  s:D :D s:D
Previously owned - RED edition, 54 plate, red calipers,  jdm nose badge, de-badged rear............That is all \":)\"

catkins

I live just past Swansea so know the area well.  The route you have plotted on Googlemaps there is probably the best set of roads to get to your destination.  Possibly you could divert through Llandeilo instead of cutting down through the middle of the National Park, but either way is good, particularly the roads at the very south of the National Park, just north of Pontadawe and Ammanford; very twisty. Have fun.
[size=150]Clare[/size]

2001 Y reg MR-2, metallic blue.  Owned since March 2010.  Loving every mile!

2003bluecat

Thanks for all the advice, had a great drive there and back (apart from being caught in a very heavy downpour on the way there and stopping in the middle of a B-road to put the roof up much to the delight of a truck driver behind me  s:) :) s:) ).
Went Bridgenorth > Ludlow > Knighton > Builth > Llandovery then through the black mountains (A4069, which by the way is the best road I have ever driven on). Amazing trip, the 2 never skipped a beat and did it there and back, around 290 miles, on 3/4's of a tank.
I really can not stress how good the A4069 is. If anyone is ever near it take a trip there, absolutely amazing! Will post some pics of the 2 and the view from the black mountains as soon as they upload.
Cheers,
Karl

2003bluecat

Pics as promised. Makes we want to go back   s:( :( s:(  

Tags: