2 Tone Bonnet?

Started by andymk3, August 24, 2011, 10:22

andymk3

I don't really post much on here so I thought I would get involved and ask for your valued opinions.

I am about to get a full respray (well I say about to it will probably be early in the new year now as I'm still collecting the funds) anyway my car is black and im getting it re-sprayed black just so its perfect, i am a little ocd about these things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   and I was considering having the indent/vent bit on the bonnet sprayed yellow as a contrast to the black and to match my yellow brake calipers.

What do you all think of the idea? Has anyone done this before? And would you continue the stripe across the hard top and engine cover?

Thanks for your opinions folks.
03 facelift Black with hardtop (OFF), AC, Black leather, full interior chrome, Hvac heater knobs, J-spec roof lever, PPE header, MWR high flow sport cat and custom back box. Pipercross panel filter, Markiii Pipe, Iridium plugs, Ultimate Gear Linkage Bushings, Tein spec-s springs, Millers Nanodrive CFS 5w40 NT Oil, K&N Oil Filter, fully de-badged rear, J-spec nose badge, J-spec steering wheel centre, yellow calipers, custom cam cover, and a heavy right foot \";)\"

kentsmudger

The scheme has been done before I think - But not in those colours. I  can see the attraction of it, especially as the  shape follows over the hard-top too.Personally, I don't think in ever looks quite right because that indent 'fades out' at the front where bonnet meets bumper. Have a good look at that area by the front bonnet badge, if it had a defined edge for the paint to stop at then it would look neater but it doesn't quite end at the front of the bonnet.

The plan for yellow paint on black is a bold one too - especially with such a broad band of colour - Will look more like a racing livery than a nicely detailed street car I feel.

Not my car though, so I will just say think about it carefully before you commit to paint. Have you thought of getting it done in vinyl so it can be reversed at no extra cost if you hate it?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

kentsmudger

Found the other car I was thinking of - Plenty more pictures to inspire you ( or warn you off! ) HERE

[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

andymk3

I think that looks brilliant! Is it just me but that is sexy!  :-) :-) :-)
03 facelift Black with hardtop (OFF), AC, Black leather, full interior chrome, Hvac heater knobs, J-spec roof lever, PPE header, MWR high flow sport cat and custom back box. Pipercross panel filter, Markiii Pipe, Iridium plugs, Ultimate Gear Linkage Bushings, Tein spec-s springs, Millers Nanodrive CFS 5w40 NT Oil, K&N Oil Filter, fully de-badged rear, J-spec nose badge, J-spec steering wheel centre, yellow calipers, custom cam cover, and a heavy right foot \";)\"

nathanMR2

How much have you been quoted for the respray as a matter of interest?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

andymk3

I'll let you know when I find out lol! Basically the story is some idiot decided to scrape and slightly dent my passengers door on a car park so I need to get that fixed, also my bonnet has lots of stone chips so I decided to get that sprayed at the same time. The quote for all of that was £280. Then I removed badges from the front and rear and can't quite get rid of the remains of the old badges (Ihave got it incredibly faint though). Then I noticed Cat scratches on my engine cover so I thought while im getting the passenger side, bonnet, both bumpers and the engine cover re-sprayed I might as well just get the lot done.

I recon I can get it done all black (no yellow) for £1200-£1500 which I don't mind to much. However I expect the price will take a hike if I decide to go with my funky stripe!

uktotty

As a massive hater of badly painted bonnets and carbon stuff on green cars etc, I actually like the striped thing, that red and white one always looked good, lets hope you can get the same quality

andymk3

Cool so the general opinion so far is that people like it!

Lets hope I can achieve the same quality otherwise I will be  very   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Looks like I have some deciding to do and possibly a few hours spent with a roll of yellow vinyl  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

E

You could always try Photoshopping it to get an idea of what it will look like, just make sure that if you go ahead with it that the spray shop are up to the job, as Uktotty says the quality has to be there especially where the black and yellow meet you need a nice clean line. but done well it should look great and certainly different.

andymk3

Photoshop now theres an idea! I'm not good enough with the software to do it myself though  s:( :( s:(  might be able to find someone that is if I ask nicely.

I agree they do need to be pretty awesome at spraying otherwise its going to look awful. I'll do some thorough research before I commit to it...thats if I don't bottle it in the meantime haha.

Stephster

I am not a fan of the two tone, mainly because it makes me think the car looks American.... don't ask me why, it just does.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Bernie

Not sure about the yellow, I did consider similar with orange at one time but in the end decided that, for me, leaving all black with wheels refurbed black too worked.

Would really suggest photoshop because once its done its more expense if you don't like the finished product.
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

andymk3

I know what you mean Stephster about the American look it does remind me of that too and I think that is part of the appeal of it as I love muscle cars!

I have convinced someone at work to photoshop it for me when he gets chance so once he has had a go I'll post up the results on here so you can all have a look. As I say it is only an idea (prob more like a strong urge tbh) so whether i'll follow through with it or not I don't know. Maybe the vinyl option will be cheaper and easier to reverse.

skinz

Not really an active member here since my 2 was taken from me  s:( :( s:(  lol but thought i'd drop an idea into the mix....

Get the re-spray done then simply vinyl the indent + other parts you want yellow, at least then its easier to get a crisp edge + if and when it comes to re-sale you can remove this, give it a good polish and then get more interest from a broader market as the black/yellow is more of a matter of personal taste.

...just a thought  s;) ;) s;)

EDIT: doh! should have read full responses as it has already been suggested (my bad)

Dyn-Evo

Yes. I would defo do the stripe with vinyl.......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Reversible. And you can get some vinyl samples from your local signmakers beforehand to make sure you get the "right" shade of yellow...!   s:D :D s:D  

The only minus is that if you follow the stripe over the car, you have to vinyl the holes in the engine cover....

That could prove difficult to get right..?   s:? :? s:?
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

andymk3

I think Vinyl is the way forward especially as I work for a printers so I can get it for free  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oooh good point about the holes in the engine cover though! Never thought of that. Question now is how good am i with a craft knife?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

nathanMR2

This stuff is really not that easy to work with. If you want a professional job id pay someone professional to do it. I did the upper part of my rear middle brake light and took a lot of trail and error to get it on right   s:? :? s:?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: