Two weeks in to ownership! :( problems!

Started by DanT, September 9, 2011, 12:28

DanT

Well had the 2 for a fortnight today! Checked the oil n coolant on Saturday Coolent was low so topped up! Also topped with oil! As that was low too! Noticed some White smoke at above 4.5k rpm yesterday checked the coolant today and it's back at min! :/ not good! Worried it could be the head gasket or some other Nasty prob, so rang the dealer where I got it said he would have a word with his mechanic and get back to me :/ hope they accept responsibility for what ever needs doing! Only had it 14 days :s

Just my luck!  s:( :( s:(

dcod

Sorry to hear it. Life can be a biatch. Remember, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.

Good luck sorting it out.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

freak_in_cage

Unlucky m8

How old is the car?

If its only 2 weeks old it should be under warranty surely??

loadswine

You should be able to return the car and get a refund if its only 2 weeks and a bone fide dealer.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

DanT

its a 2000 model. Yeah covered by warranty there going to look at it next week and see what needs to be done! If i decide I'm not happy with what they suggest i will ask for a refund! Love the car tho would be a shame if I cant get it fixed!!!

frogger

Searching on here about coolant levels will throw up many a story of coolant levels fluctuating routinely, seemingly with no reason or rhyme (there is reason, but point is - it can be normal).

White smoke from coolant / head gasket failure is not common at all on these engines.
Blue smoke is another matter.

So if it's white I would make sure it isn't just on start up / first 20 mins or so whilst exhaust piping is still warming up .
If it goes over time, as the system warms, then its probably just condensation.

Not saying you don't have an issue (could be sending clouds down the street for all I know!), just saying there could be other explanations.

mrzwei

Quote from: "DanT"its a 2000 model. Yeah covered by warranty there going to look at it next week and see what needs to be done! If i decide I'm not happy with what they suggest i will ask for a refund! Love the car though would be a shame if I cant get it fixed!!!

Just a reminder that the warranty does not free them from your basic statutory rights under the Sale of Goods act etc. So if it's not working properly then the warranty is not the issue, so they can't just say 'claim on the warranty'.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

freak_in_cage

The other way to look at it is the only weak point on the mk3 is the engine, mainly the pre facelift cars. The faclifta are more robust, and the 05+ cars even better.

Get a whole new engine in there under warrenty Would make a vvv reliable car. Or, if they use an aftermarket guy to do the work, would rogue 2zz the car for you at a reduced fee as they could claim some of the costs back under warrenty?? All totally above board of course.....but you hear of ppl having bumps and taking that opportunity to have the whole car resprayed a little more cheaply  s:) :) s:)

wbarrwebster

Quote from: froggerSearching on here about coolant levels will throw up many a story of coolant levels fluctuating routinely, seemingly with no reason or rhyme (there is reason, but point is - it can be normal).

+1

The first year I had mine, the level was up /down like a yo yo (although never not less than min level) ..
Havn't touched  coolant between services in years!

B
W. B. Webster

frogger

Quote from: "freak_in_cage"The other way to look at it is the only weak point on the mk3 is the engine, mainly the pre facelift cars. The faclifta are more robust, and the 05+ cars even better.

I assume your actually talking about oil consuption issues? Which has not been mentioned once as a problem here.

Never heard of the pre facelift being more prone to HG failure, or any mods being done post facelift / +05 to address such an issue.

Like I said, hg issues very rare on a 1ZZ... so would get 100% confirmed before putting much faith in the HG diagnosis...

DanT

yeah Its loosing both coolant and oil, and emitting white smoke under load! Its going back on tues, what ever is wrong will be sorted by the garage under warranty or ill be having my money back! Its down to them to find out whats wrong n sort it out! Just praying they do it right! Gutted, Love the car just want it sorting!  s:( :( s:(

loadswine

Don't worry too much if it has to be returned, there are some nice ones about if the worst comes to the worst. Sounds as if the repairs would need to be pretty comprehensive, but that's already been covered i think. Hang in there, you'll get a result one way or the other.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

paulsutton

sorry to hear that, esp as you've only just bought it. I have a 2000 model and had same problems. Coolant going may be a rad on it's way out. Get them to check this asap!
Low oil constantly could mean oval bore problems.

As suggested if these are the problems ask for your money back. The last thing you want to do is replace the engine when you've only just bought it!

There are loads of good ones out there.
pre-facelift silver | recon engine   | SP12 wheels   |  hard top OFF | custom hard top cover | air con | pre-cat free  | che header  | facelift new red cloth seats/doorcards  | Toyota heated seat kit  | TTE twin  | TTE style bar  | rear facelift inserts  | facelift rear lights  | rear spats  | facelift front bumper | roadster luggage | toyota ducktail spoiler | facelift side vents |
Other cars - Suzuki GV1600 softtop with removable hardtops | Nissan 2.2 tdi X-trail

DanT

Well the cars booked in with there mechanics today so will see whats wrong and decide what the plan of action is going to be!

DanT

Getting it back tomorrow  s:D :D s:D

Treboeth

Quote from: "DanT"Getting it back tomorrow  s:D :D s:D

Never mind the smiley face!!

Give us the details man  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

What did they find and what have they done about it?

DanT

I will know more tomorrow, when I go to get it back, as they just left me a message saying it was done! So god knows! Hopefully they have sorted it and arn't trying to fob me off! Its going straight to a trusted mechanic I know to get checked over and make sure everything is ok at weekend! Then if its still not right i will be demanding my money back!

DanT

Well so far so good......  

got the mr2 back the other week, i picked it up late evening so only spoke to the sales man who had been dealing with me, they said there was a problem with the cooling system and an air lock, and that they also did a oil change, not sure if anything else has been done, but its all covered for another 3 months. But all sounds a bit wierd to me! Anyhow....

Since getting it back, there is no smoke from the exhaust anymore, the coolant level is as stable-ish, it has used 1/4L of oil in the last 500 miles, but seems to be holding so far, I suppose I will just have to see how I get on.

Luckily my girlfriends dad is a sports car enthusiast and also races old F3 cars so has a mechanic and loads of equipment, and they are going to give it a compression test to check the cylinder heads and give the engine a once over! Fingers crossed its not on its way out!

New tyres went on today, not going to do much else on it for the next month or so whilst i see if its ok or not!

s:? :? s:?

DanT

Forgot to add - Going to try get the manifold off in the next week or too providing I have time to see if the pre cats are removed or to see what state they could be in :/

dcod

Quote from: "DanT"Forgot to add - Going to try get the manifold off in the next week or too providing I have time to see if the pre cats are removed or to see what state they could be in :/

I would suggest (if you have the money) get a decat manifold and just replace the standard one. That way you won't have to worry about properly cleaning the manifold out (very important) and you'll have a better flowing, higher performance manifold.

There are plenty on ebay, here are some examples

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Ro ... 5d2f642a80 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-RO ... 483cb398aa m

or

m http://www.toyosports.co.uk/toyota-mr2- ... 1213-p.asp m

Don't ask me which is best, hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "dcod"There are plenty on ebay, here are some examples

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Ro ... 5d2f642a80 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-RO ... 483cb398aa m

or

m http://www.toyosports.co.uk/toyota-mr2- ... 1213-p.asp m

Don't ask me which is best, hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.

Those ones are options but they miss out the all-important bottom mount points which are needed to reduce the risk of cracking. This one  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-07-Toyota- ... 2161wt_902 m  has the required mountings.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Those ones are options but they miss out the all-important bottom mount points which are needed to reduce the risk of cracking. This one  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-07-Toyota- ... 2161wt_902 m  has the required mountings.

Er, what he said.   s:) :) s:)

dcod

Wow, 80 squid! Just noticed. I'll get my coat.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "dcod"Wow, 80 squid! Just noticed. I'll get my coat.

Don't grab it too quickly.
It's in the US, so that involves delivery, import imposition of vat, handling fee from Parcel Farce.
Saying all that though, it will still be a good price, just delayed a little by our countrys handling.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

DanT

Thanks guys ill look in to ordering one, just seen this on the advert wabbitkilla - Item location: From USA with NO Import/VAT TAX since 2002, United States. Is that likely?

Tags: