Two weeks in to ownership! :( problems!

Started by DanT, September 9, 2011, 12:28

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "DanT"Thanks guys ill look in to ordering one, just seen this on the advert wabbitkilla - Item location: From USA with NO Import/VAT TAX since 2002, United States. Is that likely?

It's a risk!
I've recently imported two items from the States and both were hit with vat, and a handling fee.
Import is a luck game, sometimes you're snagged, other times you're not ... but the senders can do things to try and get through without paying duty ... I'll say no more.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

frogger

Quote from: "DanT"it has used 1/4L of oil in the last 500 miles

This is the one to watch above all else!
Not a particularly low figure IMO, getting towards pretty high oil consumption.

DanT

Yea I will have to keep my eye on it hope it's ok!  s:( :( s:(  going to order the manifold on Wednesday!

Caringminx

You will be under warranty. , they can't get away with not doing it , the law will be on your side , hope you get it sorted tracy

Wabbitkilla

If it was me, i'd reject it if it was using 1/4l oil every 500 miles, it shouldn't be using any!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

A friend had a brand spanking Golf GTi back in the mid 80s, was told 1/2l per 600 miles was normal.  s:o :o s:o

andyroo104

I would not do any work on the car mechanically,i.e. manifold replacement,if i were you as it would invalidate your warranty totally and these garages do not need much of an excuse to avoid repairs.Especially taking into account your present oil consumption being so high.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

DanT

Quote from: "andyroo104"I would not do any work on the car mechanically,i.e. manifold replacement,if i were you as it would invalidate your warranty totally and these garages do not need much of an excuse to avoid repairs.Especially taking into account your present oil consumption being so high.
Andy.

Good point had not thought of this! Thanks!

DanT

Compression test done tonight all fine! Girlfriends dad and mechanic have had a look at the engine and they say things seem fine! Manifold is coming off ASAP to see if precats are a prob so will know more then! Going to monitor the oil usage, I've modified my dip stick to make sure readings are accurate! Hopefully won't be using as much oil as I first thought! But only time will tell! Oh and I've got a shocker to replace when I get chance :/ more work n money! Haha! Good job I love the car despite all the set backs!!!

Anonymous

Ive got some struts, £50 incl pnp each.   s:) :) s:)

DanT

One thing after another! Radiator is leaking now!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHH!!! :/

Anonymous

Got an almost new rad with fans, £25

DanT

Thanks mate but just sent it to garage  s:) :) s:)

scipio

Quote from: "DanT"..., I've modified my dip stick to make sure readings are accurate! ...
Please explain....how did you do that?
One of the most confounding things....trying to guage where the oil level is - can you please help and explain your mod.
thanks
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

DanT

I had read that people drill through the dip stick and blow the oil out the holes then if there is oil back in the hole they can see were the level is there is a thread about it somewhere but I'm on ma phone and cba searching lol anyway what I did was be lazy and I cut some notches in the side of the dip stick with a hack saw! To check my level I wipe the oil from the notches then dip it back in for a more accurate reading!
Hope that makes sense!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "scipio"
Quote from: "DanT"..., I've modified my dip stick to make sure readings are accurate! ...
Please explain....how did you do that?
One of the most confounding things....trying to guage where the oil level is - can you please help and explain your mod.
thanks

Tada...you really should have a good look round the site,there are some really usefull posts.

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=28331 l

DanT

^ Thats the one!   s:D :D s:D

DanT

Fixed again! Back on the road..... For now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

paulsutton

Quote from: "DanT"One thing after another! Radiator is leaking now!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHH!!! :/

..sorry to hear that....er but i did say check your rad!...coolant bottle always low after filling can be a sure sign rad is on its way out...thats what happened to  me!
pre-facelift silver | recon engine   | SP12 wheels   |  hard top OFF | custom hard top cover | air con | pre-cat free  | che header  | facelift new red cloth seats/doorcards  | Toyota heated seat kit  | TTE twin  | TTE style bar  | rear facelift inserts  | facelift rear lights  | rear spats  | facelift front bumper | roadster luggage | toyota ducktail spoiler | facelift side vents |
Other cars - Suzuki GV1600 softtop with removable hardtops | Nissan 2.2 tdi X-trail

DanT

Quote from: "paulsutton"
Quote from: "DanT"One thing after another! Radiator is leaking now!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHH!!! :/

..sorry to hear that....er but i did say check your rad!...coolant bottle always low after filling can be a sure sign rad is on its way out...thats what happened to  me!

Haha i know when i looked the first time it didnt seem to be leaking hmmmm, o well what is done is done! All fixed now  s:) :) s:)  

Till the nest thing goes hah!

s:D :D s:D

paulsutton

Quote from: "DanT"
Quote from: "paulsutton"

Haha i know when i looked the first time it didnt seem to be leaking hmmmm, o well what is done is done! All fixed now  s:) :) s:)  

Till the nest thing goes hah!

s:D :D s:D

..to be honest I couldn't see mine leaking either, so i thought it was ok..until my temp gauge shot through the roof one day!..and emptied coolant everywhere.......luckily rad had gone just as i pulled onto the drive.

..at least you know your rad will be ok for some time now!
pre-facelift silver | recon engine   | SP12 wheels   |  hard top OFF | custom hard top cover | air con | pre-cat free  | che header  | facelift new red cloth seats/doorcards  | Toyota heated seat kit  | TTE twin  | TTE style bar  | rear facelift inserts  | facelift rear lights  | rear spats  | facelift front bumper | roadster luggage | toyota ducktail spoiler | facelift side vents |
Other cars - Suzuki GV1600 softtop with removable hardtops | Nissan 2.2 tdi X-trail

DanT

Haha mine went going up the longest steepest hill ever!! Had to ring the girl friend to bring me some water so I could get it home! A right farce! You got lucky there!

Yeah your right one less thing to worry about  s:) :) s:)

Tags: