Value of my MR2?

Started by WillsSayers, October 7, 2011, 10:12

WillsSayers

Looking to sell up soon guys and girls. Sad to be MR2-less, but I'll still be about  s:) :) s:)  And Bex still has hers! =)

However, was wondering if people would have an idea of how much my car is worth? It's done a smidge under 70k miles (think it's sat at 69k), is an 03 plate (post-facelift), and has the mods listed in my signature (except for the induction kit).

I'd be selling the induction kit and hardtop seperately as well.

Wondering if it's worth returning to stock and selling the strut braces, TTE style bar, induction kit and hardtop separetely. Obviously the Toyota Body kit would have to remain!

Front end is stonechipped to hell (from previous owner, I tend not to tailgate :lol) and the antenna doesn't go all the way down as I bent it a wee bit, but other than that and a few minor dings, it's sound =)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

andibell

Sorry you're thinking about selling...

There's an 03 Sable for sale not too far from me, with a hardtop, 75k on the clock and no mods, it's up at £3250, so you should be able to get at least that much.  That said, there's an number of pre-facelifts with similar mileage at that price or more, without hardtops, so that one might be a bit of a bargain....  Or broken!
£3500 - £4000 seems to be the genuine starting price without a hardtop.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

uktotty

Would say around £3k too, my mate is selling his 03 and had been offered £220 trade in!!
Why are you selling?

Steve Green

Quote from: "andibell"Sorry you're thinking about selling...

There's an 03 Sable for sale not too far from me, with a hardtop, 75k on the clock and no mods, it's up at £3250, so you should be able to get at least that much.  That said, there's an number of pre-facelifts with similar mileage at that price or more, without hardtops, so that one might be a bit of a bargain....  Or broken!
£3500 - £4000 seems to be the genuine starting price without a hardtop.

Thats about what I paid early this year for a 60K 2003 facelift with FSH from a dealer. Given the colder weather, prices may be a little depressed.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

WillsSayers

I'd be happy with £3.5k, as I'd likely make £500 by selling all the bits and pieces I've accumulated!

Russ, I got offered £2.4k by a garage yesterday, but thankfully I wasn't interested in actually buying the car I took for a test drive  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Reason for selling? I've had an MR2 for 3 years or so now and wouldn't mind a change of scenery (always hated the interior)! I've also had an offer I just couldn't refuse on another car, so whilst it isn't my top dream car, I've always fancied it and the offer is just too good to say no.

So consensus is to go back to stock (or near enough) first?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

andibell

Quote from: "uktotty"...my mate is selling his 03 and had been offered £220 trade in!!

I'll give him £500 cash!   s:D :D s:D  

Just had a quick scout on Autotrader.  Interesting to see that the pre and post facelifts between 01 & 04 all seem to be up for about the same amount.  Mileage seems to have more effect on price than age.  Good to know that mine isn't worth much less than I paid for it nearly 2 years ago, discounting the small fortune I've spent keeping on the road!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

WillsSayers

It's misleading I find. I'd much rather have a higher mileage post-facelift than a low mileage pre-facelift. My opinion is that the engines are far more robust (although still not bullet-proof) on the post-facelift models, and is where I'd rather put my money. But sadly most Joe Public characters looking to purchase an MR2 wouldn't know this, as the market probably reflects  s:) :) s:)

uktotty

LOL that should read £2200  s:) :) s:)

Back to stock will always make more money than selling with mods on

AmeR

Boo Wills!!

Shame it's going but there's always the Red one! Fancy an alloy swap before you sell? 17s and a bodykit - very pimping!! I'll let you think about it...

WillsSayers

I don't understand what you mean, Paul.......?

AmeR

I think that you should give me your stock wheels in an exchange for my sexy TSWs!! I've seen you eyeing them up, and the offer is there (note: this doesn't apply to other stuff!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )...

WillsSayers

I'll certainly have a think about it mate, although the tyres on the rears are pretty bald at the moment. Umm'ing and Ahh'ing over whether I should be replacing them before sale.

Not sure what sort of effect after market wheels will have on selling it relatively stock.

AmeR

Well the TSWs have about 5mm all round so perfect for the new buyer!

Nothing says sophisticated pimp-mobile quite like some 17s though!!!

WillsSayers

Would they not rub on the inner arches if the arches hadn't been modified?

AmeR

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Would they not rub on the inner arches if the arches hadn't been modified?

They're fine on my unmodified arches. 7J width with correct staggered tyres on. Haven't had an issue with them, they're just not my style!!

If you decide to trade it in, may be an option!?

WillsSayers

I've already got a car sorted I think, so I'll be in no rush to sell / strip this car  s:) :) s:)

scipio

I am always amazed at the differences in prices if you compare the UK with South Africa.
You are selling now for 3500pounds....in SA they sell for R110 - R130k.....approximately 10 000pounds! They sold for 22k pounds (or was that dollars) new back in the early 2000's and here they sold for R250k....about the same money if you convert the currency at the time, yet they have retained value far better here in SA.

Part of the reason may be scarcity...I noted on a site that there are more than 10k MR2's (MK3) on the roads in the UK whilst from my enquieries at Toyota I have learned that only 700 were imported to SA, all of those were supplied with hardtops and all of them were pre-facelift. (...Pointed this out to a dealer recently who tried to palm one off as post-facelift - they don't exist here).
An MR2 is a rare sight in South Africa and with my debadged front (screaming chicken) and rear (only the MR2 badge) many people ask me what it is ...they think its a Porsche...but they're not sure   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I plan on keeping my '2 for a long while still....spares are readily available and it will start to retain its value in a couple of years time (over here at least). The body styling has not aged, in fact it will not age, it is timeless imho......in another 10 years time it will be a collectors item. I still want to be driving mine then.
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

uktotty

the reason for the stupid prices in SA is the 40% import duty the government put on it, the best selling car in SA is the Toyota Hilux at a RRP of £55,000

scipio

Quote from: "uktotty"the reason for the stupid prices in SA is the 40% import duty the government put on it, the best selling car in SA is the Toyota Hilux at a RRP of £55,000
erm.......yes...there are import duties but as I pointed out, when new, the cars sold for about the same price (if you converted pounds to rands) but now, 10 years on, the cars are worth half their original price in SA but is worth less than a quater of its original purchase price in the UK.

That is what I find interesting.

Is there not a law in the UK which encourages people to scrap cars sooner rather than later....a sort of subsidy scheme? This would have a definite effect on prices of older cars.

By the way, my other car is a Hilux!
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

Anonymous

I think the weather is more attritional on cars here in the UK, annual mileage and traffic load all go to wear cars out quicker, plus the aspirations of the car buying population mean older cars are less popular.
We did have a scrappage scheme a couple of years back, and lots of superb motors were put off the road. Government madness in my opinion.

Bekatee

Will be sad to see Blue go :'(
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

WillsSayers

Paul, I've just remembered - you do remember the state that one of my wheels is in right? ;D Would definitely require a refurb.

Bex, it will be, BUT on to bigger and better things, eh?  s:) :) s:)

uktotty

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Bex, it will be, BUT on to bigger and better things, eh?  s:) :) s:)

Oooh Bex, you finally gonna take me up on my offer then   s:P :P s:P

WillsSayers

Ha! Grim determination will get you no where Russ  s;) ;) s;)

Bekatee

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Bex, it will be, BUT on to bigger and better things, eh?  s:) :) s:)

Oooh Bex, you finally gonna take me up on my offer then   s:P :P s:P

Haha... i suppose you do have a blue Mr2...!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

Tags: