Value of my MR2?

Started by WillsSayers, October 7, 2011, 10:12

Anonymous

Quote from: "scipio"I am always amazed at the differences in prices if you compare the UK with South Africa.
You are selling now for 3500pounds....in SA they sell for R110 - R130k.....approximately 10 000pounds! They sold for 22k pounds (or was that dollars) new back in the early 2000's and here they sold for R250k....about the same money if you convert the currency at the time, yet they have retained value far better here in SA.

Part of the reason may be scarcity...I noted on a site that there are more than 10k MR2's (MK3) on the roads in the UK whilst from my enquieries at Toyota I have learned that only 700 were imported to SA, all of those were supplied with hardtops and all of them were pre-facelift. (...Pointed this out to a dealer recently who tried to palm one off as post-facelift - they don't exist here).
An MR2 is a rare sight in South Africa and with my debadged front (screaming chicken) and rear (only the MR2 badge) many people ask me what it is ...they think its a Porsche...but they're not sure   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I plan on keeping my '2 for a long while still....spares are readily available and it will start to retain its value in a couple of years time (over here at least). The body styling has not aged, in fact it will not age, it is timeless imho......in another 10 years time it will be a collectors item. I still want to be driving mine then.

It's a similar situation in Australia,I was amazed how much more like for like cars were there.I bought a 15 year old Mitsubishi dual cab pick up truck with 300,000 km's on the clock for the equivalent of £1500! Even absolute sheds that could be bought in the UK for a couple of hundred pounds fetch £1000+ out there.

Anonymous

Very nice Will. Ill give you twice what you paid for it!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: