Winter Storage...any ideas?

Started by dangermooser, October 9, 2011, 18:29

dangermooser

I am thinking of taking the MR2 off the road while the weather is bad but as we don't have a garage to store it I am thinking of putting it in dry storage, I have found a place about 40 minutes from us that store cars charging around £15 per week.

Has anyone else here done it and if so what are your experience?   I would be interested in anyones comments on wether they think its worth while or not

mrzwei

15 quid a week sounds fine but you will still need to do all the usual things: tyre pressure, rotation,, battery charging, damp / mould prevention, preferably an occasional drive to make sure the brakes / clutch are working etc. etc.

To be honest, it's better for the car to use it.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

FGrob

I pay about that much for my Spitfire, it's there all the time though, it gets turned over every 6 months but it's on axle stands so no worries with regard to tyres etc. But then again it's old school so it will stand just sitting there - if you know what I mean.  s:? :? s:?  

For the 2 over winter it's in my garage, just covered and on axle stands, but that get's turned over every month, I just keep the battery disconnected or else it will drain unless you have a trickle charger fitted to it. One thing I do is leave the internal vents fully open to the outside and also leave the windows slightly down - this helps stop mould forming inside the car, normally I spray the whole of the underneath of the car with WD40, which then just wipes off when I take it out of the garage the following year.  

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dangermooser

Thanks for your replies.

I would rather use it over the winter months but we have already put a few quid into the car and as its my OH that drives it mostly rear wheel drive doesn't fill either of us with too much confidence (by her own admissions) so I would rather play safe!

I had considered the points made associated with storage and one question would be about access to the car so I could carry out all the neccesary goings on that would need to be done, thanks for the replies much appreciated  s:) :) s:)

Tags: