About to buy my first 2 and something has come up!!

Started by StuC, October 10, 2011, 15:31

dcod

I initially started writing "sounds a bit expensive" but decided to check prices. Check my previous post and you'll find it's about right (according to Whatcar) which surprised me.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"I initially started writing "sounds a bit expensive" but decided to check prices. Check my previous post and you'll find it's about right (according to Whatcar) which surprised me.

I just don't think they are selling very well at the moment. Look at Vehicles for sale section on here.

Facelift eventually sold for £3k even though it was on Ebay as least twice:

l viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34679 l

Prefacelift reduced to £2,750 and still on the market:

l viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34950 l

Plus quite a few others that are priced quite high haven't had any replies.

I think we haven't seen the bottom of the market yet and prices will continue to lower. Good news for would be owners.

Stephster

I still think it is expensive for what they are - What Car doesn't take into account the seasonal adjustments. Lots of 2s for sale at the minute with less buyers, which with the laws of supply and demand must mean prices should be lower.
Personally, I am with Toplesscouple and would concentrate on a car more locally. Have you had a look at what cars members have for sale at the minute ? That would be my preference. I know there is a W reg for £1.4k - it's silver, but at that price I wouldn't care ( actually I would be very happy as it is my fave coulour  s;) ;) s;)  ).
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

dcod

That's fair enough.

I'll admit I wouldn't pay that much. I've had a 1zz pre-facelift that died and would only buy one if I had a spare £1000 in the bank put aside incase the engine goes. I wouldn't spend my whole budget.

You can ignore me though. I've become very wary and obssessed now. I can probably see a drop in oil level in my car just due to the number of times I check the oil and wipe it off the dipstick! Every morning I get out the shower, go to the spare room, get my shaver and electric toothbrush and go back into the bathroom. Yesterday morning I did the same but found myself standing infront of the mirror, electric toothbrush in one hand and OBDII reader in the other   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

StuC

Quote from: "Stephster"I still think it is expensive for what they are - What Car doesn't take into account the seasonal adjustments. Lots of 2s for sale at the minute with less buyers, which with the laws of supply and demand must mean prices should be lower.
Personally, I am with Toplesscouple and would concentrate on a car more locally. Have you had a look at what cars members have for sale at the minute ? That would be my preference. I know there is a W reg for £1.4k - it's silver, but at that price I wouldn't care ( actually I would be very happy as it is my fave coulour  s;) ;) s;)  ).

I have had 3 silver cars now and I would really like a different colour please!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I am holding out for a black one with sub 60k miles (as I intend to keep it for a long time).
Which somewhat limits my locality issues along with my supply and demand options, made worse because I need to buy a car one fairly soon.

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Prefacelift reduced to £2,750 and still on the market:

l viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34950 l
That one hadn't got a full service history, I did have a look at that one though.

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"I think we haven't seen the bottom of the market yet and prices will continue to lower. Good news for would be owners.

Can someone make that market drop today please?!?! As I would like a cheap car over the weekend   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "dcod"Yesterday morning I did the same but found myself standing infront of the mirror, electric toothbrush in one hand and OBDII reader in the other   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

A signature line if ever I saw one!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

StuC

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"That's fair enough.

I'll admit I wouldn't pay that much. I've had a 1zz pre-facelift that died and would only buy one if I had a spare £1000 in the bank put aside incase the engine goes. I wouldn't spend my whole budget.

Agreed, dcod  s:) :) s:)  

Quote from: "StuC"Daily trawl of autotrader reveals....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201141420578035

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201135412380774

Top one is more what I would want to pay but the bottom does have a hardtop and red leather (if that's your thing   s:) :) s:)   ) Ignore all the blurb though as it won't have side air bags, fog lights or probably a trip computer. Could use that as a bargaining point I suppose   s:) :) s:)  

You would want to make sure the wheels have the correct stagger too.

StuC

The top one was based in Brixton and the seller was very shady about lots of the details, so even though the price is right... I don't think the car is  s:-( :-( s:-(

There is service history for the bottom one. It has had a new clutch already, driving style?
It has also had a camshaft sensor within the last 2 years.
It has 4 new tyres.. all the same brand. I wondered on your "stagger" comment Topless if it was wrong and that's why all the tyres got changed. The MOT didn't show anything about worn tyres.
I am going to make the trek tomorrow, pending a HPI check I'll run today.

Going to scratch the ones in London for now. The higher priced one(harrow) had 'emissions' issues on a mot, which makes me a little weary. Also the servicing doesn't tie up with what she has told me.

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "StuC"The top one was based in Brixton and the seller was very shady about lots of the details, so even though the price is right... I don't think the car is  s:-( :-( s:-(

There is service history for the bottom one. It has had a new clutch already, driving style?
It has also had a camshaft sensor within the last 2 years.
It has 4 new tyres.. all the same brand. I wondered on your "stagger" comment Topless if it was wrong and that's why all the tyres got changed. The MOT didn't show anything about worn tyres.
I am going to make the trek tomorrow, pending a HPI check I'll run today..

Stagger is, as I understand, the difference in width between the front an the rear tyres on most mid-engined rear wheel drive cars. Pre/Fs have 185 fronts and 205 rears and Facelifts 185 and 215. If there is no stagger there can be an adverse effect on handling. Dunno how bad it is for real world driving or if it's just track daying or racing that requires it. Firstly I would ring the dealer and ask for the front and rear tyre widths and then, if happy, contact your insurer to see if they will insure with modified wheels. Lastly if god forbid, you should drive it through a hedge backwards if the insurance company send over an assessor and he spots the changed wheels and they are not correctly staggered,he could deem that it was dangerously modified and throw out your claim. Worse case scenerio, but playing devils advocate here.

Maybe it had 4 new tyres 'cos the rims are new.

StuC

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Stagger is, as I understand, the difference in width between the front an the rear tyres on most mid-engined rear wheel drive cars. Pre/Fs have 185 fronts and 205 rears and Facelifts 185 and 215. If there is no stagger there can be an adverse effect on handling. Dunno how bad it is for real world driving or if it's just track daying or racing that requires it. Firstly I would ring the dealer and ask for the front and rear tyre widths and then, if happy, contact your insurer to see if they will insure with modified wheels. Lastly if god forbid, you should drive it through a hedge backwards if the insurance company send over an assessor and he spots the changed wheels and they are not correctly staggered,he could deem that it was dangerously modified and throw out your claim. Worse case scenerio, but playing devils advocate here.

Maybe it had 4 new tyres 'cos the rims are new.

Already asked the tyre question and they have said they are the same size all round 195 50 15. I guess the person didn't know what they were doing when they bought the new wheels and tried to 'split the difference' in sizes. Maybe they even thought they had mismatched tyres!

Good call on the insurance though. Will check that one out too.

Toplesscouple

Well it seems there should be a width difference of 20mm at least. You could point out that the car is potentially dangerous as sold and could they change the rears to 215s. Supposing that the rims are wide enough to allow that. Wouldn't be very hopeful though or you could buy the car in knowledge that you will have to change tyres and possibly rims in the near future. Might be easier to just not bother and find another one. Easier said than done though, eh?     s:) :) s:)

StuC

That was the tac I was going to take and see what they say.
I will also be checking the rim depth as I am guessing they are either all 6 or all 6.5.

I have seen a set of originals on ebay for £100, then another £250 I am guessing for the tyres. So with that I am looking to pay less than 3 for the car.

Steve Green

Dont want to frighten you but a full set of the correct Bridgestone RE40's for a MK3 facelift cost me £440 fitted in July.
There are cheaper options but to get to £250 for a new set woud be quite an acheivement.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Stephster

He's right. Stock is Yokohamas, and I had £180 quoted just for the 2 backs and that was the cheapest from and independent.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

Toplesscouple

Yes, but Toyos are about £220 plus fitting aren't they?

Also the dealer may prefer to use his contacts and source a set of wheels prior to you collecting it. If you buy s/h OEM ones you should also factor in getting them re-furbished most probably but then you'll have the old wheels and tyres to sell to offset some expense.

StuC

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Yes, but Toyos are about £220 plus fitting aren't they?

Also the dealer may prefer to use his contacts and source a set of wheels prior to you collecting it. If you buy s/h OEM ones you should also factor in getting them re-furbished most probably but then you'll have the old wheels and tyres to sell to offset some expense.

I was thinking of toyo's when put it.

Stephster

I'd buy Ron Jeremy's for 1.2k, and at that price have it resprayed to black !

Tags: