Engine light but strange codes

Started by zen200, October 11, 2011, 13:38

zen200

Hi all,

I have an 03 plate MR2 roadster (Facelift) with 60k miles and full service history.

I have read and completed the paperclip engines code test as my engine management light came on whilst driving in the rain.

The car seems to drive normally, but I would like to know why the light has come on and not gone off.

Anyway, i put paperclip in port 4 and 13 as the guide shows and waited for the engine management light to flash..............BUT IT NEVER DID.

Instead the ABS and P/S (Power steering) lights started to flash.

The codes are as follows.

ABS = 41  
P/S = 53

Can anybody tell me why the engine light didnt flash and the others did and should I be worried ?

How do I fix this problem and do I just reset Engine light by disconnecting battery for 30 mins ?

Thank in advance for you advice and help and I hope that this has not been asked to many times as I did search for this.

Phil

nathanMR2

If the cars driving normal I would disconnect the battery for around 30mins and reconnect. This should reset the light. Drive the car for a few days and see if it comes back on.

If it does grab yourself a OBD code reader. These can be obtained for around £15-£20 and are always handy to have. This will give you the fault code providing you have a UK model and we can see what we are dealing with.

My guess is you'll have a faulty O2 sensor. If this is the case i might be able to get one sorted for you for a reasonable price (compared to Toyota) just let me know
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

zen200

Thank for the quick reply.

I will go out and disconnect the battery now then and reconnect later this avo.

I will report back.

Any ideas what the codes and lights mean on the ABS and P/S ?

Stephster

I think what people are saying is that they can't read those codes for you. You will either need to go and get them read with a proper reader at a garage, which costs, or find a member with an OBDII reader near you. There is a list on the forum. Otherwise buy your own for approx £20, it will always come in handy.
Also, the paper clip technique would not switch the EML off again you would need a reader for that or disconnect the battery as mentioned above.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

mrzwei

If the ABS and P/S lights come on when you switch the ignition on and are not flashing, and go out when the engine starts and don't come on while you are driving, then both systems are working.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

zen200

Quote from: "mrzwei"If the ABS and P/S lights come on when you switch the ignition on and are not flashing, and go out when the engine starts and don't come on while you are driving, then both systems are working.

Ok thanks

Its only the engine light thats on whilst driving.

Thanks

nathanMR2

Where abouts are you based and if local to me ill read the code for you. If not there maybe someone local to you.

Stephster

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Where abouts are you based and if local to me ill read the code for you. If not there maybe someone local to you.
What he said !
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !

chopper

I got the ABS 41 code as well ABS works and light doz not come on un less i use the paper clip to read the flash codes but have never found what the ABS 41 flash code means for sure

is your car a JAP import as they have a difrent code style to the UK - EU cars EU flash codes are p1000 style and the JAPS are 100 style

Stephster

I found these codes for ABS light but for a MKII rather than a MKIII. I am assuming they are generic though :
ABS error code listing
Here's a list of all the error codes, taken from the BGB page BR-53. It's included here for completeness.

Code Number Diagnosis
11  open circuit in solenoid relay circuit  
12  short circuit in solenoid relay circuit  
13 open circuit in pump motor relay circuit  
14  short circuit in pump motor relay circuit  
21  open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of front right wheel  
22  open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of front left wheel  
23  open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of rear wheels  
31  front right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction  
32  front left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction  
33  rear right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction  
34  rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction  
35 open circuit in front left or rear right wheel speed sensor  
36 open circuit in front right or rear left wheel speed sensor  
41 abnormal battery voltage ( < 9.5 or > 17 )  
51 pump motor of actuator locked or open circuit in pump motor circuit in actuator  
ALWAYS ON computer malfunction  

More info here :  m http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2abscode.html#list m

mrzwei

From that data  (code 41) you could assume that the lights were coming on because the paper clip in some way caused a voltage variation, not because there was a system fault. Good detective work Steph.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Wabbitkilla

Shall we wind back a bit here?

Have you got a UK car, or a Jap import MR-S?

If it's a UK car then you need an obdii reader, the paperclip doesn't work.

If it's JDM then the paperclip would have worked.

Resetting the ecu may clear the light for good or it may come back after a couple of drives. Safe bettimg is it's an O2 sensor giving up
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

zen200

I think that my car is a UK car, but how would i be sure ?

I do get a lorry style reverse beeping noise when I am reversing. I have not come across this in any car before ? does this indicate a Jap car ?

nathanMR2

Check your log book. Or a tell tail sign with be that the rear of your car could have an MRS badge on the back if its an import.

The beep is normal on a 6-speed MR2 as the reverse gear is so close 1st gear.

ekimq

Quote from: "nathanMR2"The beep is normal on a 6-speed MR2 as the reverse gear is so close 6th gear.

Tut, tut Nathan! Reverse and 6th are about as far apart as it's possible to get. You meant to say 1st (of course)   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

dcod

Quote from: "zen200"I do get a lorry style reverse beeping noise when I am reversing. I have not come across this in any car before ? does this indicate a Jap car ?

I have a 5-speed. I use the sound of screaming.

If you want to rid yourself of the beep :

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20390&p=3897 l
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

nathanMR2

Quote from: "ekimq"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"The beep is normal on a 6-speed MR2 as the reverse gear is so close 6th gear.

Tut, tut Nathan! Reverse and 6th are about as far apart as it's possible to get. You meant to say 1st (of course)   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Thats exactly what i said Ekimq  s;) ;) s;)

Im sure he got they got the idea of what i was getting at and its proof i dont have a 6 speed   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

zen200

Ok so i reset ecu via battery disconnect and the engine light has come back on again.

I am also hearing what I thought was a stone court in the tyre type of sound coming from the engine whilst driving. (even when the car is stationary sometimes)

What could cause this.

I live in Dover, Kent if anyone is about that has OBD2 and fancies helping an MR2 owner. But I will be up at Bluewater this Saturday and could bring the car along if anyone is in the area.

Thanks in advance

Phil

P.S. I have a VAGCOM OBD2 usb cable which plugs into laptop. Would this be able to be used if I just get toyota/correct software ? (where can I get it from )

Thanks again

Wabbitkilla

You can't do any harm by plugging in your existing OBDii kit and seeing what you see.

I take you keep a regular eye on oil and fluid levels?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

Do you have software?

I haven't tried this but here is an example of free software:

m http://www.obdtester.com/obd2-free-software m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

zen200

Quote from: "dcod"Do you have software?

I haven't tried this but here is an example of free software:

m http://www.obdtester.com/obd2-free-software m

I dont have software, but I will try it later tonight.

I will be taking my car to the garage tomorrow to where I brought it and they said they will plug it into their machine for free and see what code it throws up.

I will report back on all accounts.

zen200

HI All,

I tried to read the engine codes with my usb to obd2 cable with different software, but it didnt work. Therefore I am unsure of the codes still.

I did take it to the garage that I brought the car from and they read the code and said it was oxygen sensor position 1 (which they checked is the front long wire lambda sensor)

Anyway, I was thinking that I would like to get my own code reader so that I can do this myself in the future. Can anybody give me a link to which one to get. I would rather a cheaper one if possible.

dcod

Search Google for U380.

Here is an example. You can find cheaper though.

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/U380-Diagnose-T ... B001C9ZISW m

dcod

The U480 will do as well but it's more expensive because it also allows you to work on a CANBUS car (CANBUS is a wiring network where there are two voltages running through the car, low and high voltage ... apparently).

zen200

ok thanks for the quick reply.

I think it may be worth an investment as im sure it will come i handy with other cars like my mrs 2004 Corsa c ????

Or is this yet another obd2 ?

Tags: