Tyre construction - RE040 Potenza vs. Toyo Proxes T1-S

Started by GSB, April 20, 2004, 14:01

GSB

Just taken delvery of my new tyres, Toyo Proxes, and in a moment of boredom I compared the Toyo to a part worn Stock Bridgestone I've got in my "big cupboard of MR2 bits I'm never likely to use".

Observations:

The construction of the Toyo is really soft. Where the Bridgestone is fairly stiff, particularly in the sidewalls, the Toyo can be deformed by light pressure. This is borne out when reading the construction details from the sides of the tyres. The Toyos sidewall has one single polyester ply, the brisdgstone has 2. Similarly the tread of the Toyo consists of 1 Polyester, 2 steel and 1 Nylon ply, making a total of four plies. The Bridgestone has 2 Polyester, 2 Steel, and 2 Nylon plies under its tread, a total of 6 plies, making it a much stiffer tyre overall.

Weight seems to be much the same, although the Bridgestone is 40% worn.

The rubber compound on the Toyo seems to be slightly softer than that on the Bridgestone, which I suppose is expected in view of the Toyo's more sporting aspirations. Despite their harder compound though the Bridgestones struggled to last 15,000 miles on my car, making me wonder how these Toyo's are going to fare...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Having just refitted my summer tyres, and bing warned by MRT that the rears are getting close to legal limits (circa 5mm) I would say thay last well. I am at 56000Km now, and the tyre were fitted by MRT when the car was new (3 years ago). The tyres are on for about 8 months a year normally and must have covered at least 40000Km.

But what to replace them with? Ive been looking at the tyre thread and may try the Eagal F1 but not sure yet.

Should I change all 4 or just the backs (which are worn). Is it ok to mix the tyres (I dont think so but dont know)?

Problems problems   s:!: :!: s:!:

GSB

5mm is a lot of tread. In the Uk that would be considered part worn, with the legal limit at 1.6mm. As for mixing tyres, I'd warn against it, but to be fair I'd say that if you're making your tyres last that long then our driving styles probabley differ somewhat!

Give these guys a try, I bought my tyres from their English site, but they are a german company so they could be even cheaper for you?

m http://www.sicherbestellen.de/reifendirekt/ m
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"5mm is a lot of tread. In the Uk that would be considered part worn, with the legal limit at 1.6mm. .......Give these guys a try, I bought my tyres from their English site, but they are a german company so they could be even cheaper for you?

m http://www.sicherbestellen.de/reifendirekt/ m
Thanks for the link, I will look at it. The limit here is 3mm and under 5mm is not recommended. There are insurance "difficulties" if you have an accident with under 5mm   s:( :( s:(

Ive been quoted "about €160" per type for the proxes. 100 more than last autum.  s:x :x s:x

GSB

Quote from: "victor"Ive been quoted "about €160" per type for the proxes. 100 more than last autum.  s:x :x s:x

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I just paid £166 for a full set of four, delivered from Hannover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"The limit here is 3mm and under 5mm is not recommended. There are insurance "difficulties" if you have an accident with under 5mm   s:( :( s:(

Crumbs!

I had a new set of Bridgestone S03s on the rear recently, and then a 50k service a couple of months of casual motorway driving later.
The fronts were both on 5mm, and the rears (presumably with negligible wear) had 7mm each...

So you only get approx 2mm wear from your tyres before they're officially considered "worn" and possibly suspect in an accident? Crumbs! (again)

Although I do have my doubts that 1.6mm is adequate tread to keep you on the road in this wet and dreary country...  although the dry is another matter!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim

Anonymous

OK I got it wrong   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Having double checked its 1.6 mm and not recommended under 3mm.

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Aha, no probs! Thought it was just a little on the strict side!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim

heathstimpson

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"Aha, no probs! Thought it was just a little on the strict side!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim
So did I; thought that it must have cost Victor a fortune in tyre purchase as it doesn't take long to get to 5mm  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: