LSD - settle an arguement

Started by Anonymous, April 20, 2004, 20:56

Anonymous

The '03 onwards has it right?

Anonymous

all uk models do. US have only just got it IIRC, not sure about jap imports, would guess no?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Yeah that's what i thought.....check this out :S

m http://www.fastcar.co.uk/forum/showflat ... art=1&vc=1 m

Liz

Did you get your last post right on that thread with your pre and post? mine is an 01 and has it.....
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Well Mr T suddenly started shouting about it for the '03s... but as people here will tell you, the pre-'03s have 'em too.

Anonymous

I thought it was just pre '03's....my mistake

MRMike

Stoopid.

What an appropriate username. He says he was whazzing a sales car around..I hope he doesn't treat customer cars like that..  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Liz

Bet his dealership would be interested...quite a few anon people on there at present!

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"not sure about jap imports, would guess no?   s:? :? s:?

It's not stock in Japan, but it's an option...so it varies from car to car...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

noddynurdle

sorry for being stooopid but does this mean mine has it?
how would i find out?
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

Liz

Think this answers James' original question:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281&start=0 m

juansolo

Quote from: "noddynurdle"sorry for being stooopid but does this mean mine has it?
how would i find out?

Find an airfield or somewhere with plenty of space that you have permission to use.  Drive around in a very tight circle in first gear then floor the throttle*.  If you get lots of noise and smoke but continue in a slightly larger circle, you are spinning the inside wheel and do not have an LSD.  If you end up facing the wrong way then you do.

Shimple.

*when I say floor the throttle I don't mean bang it off the limiter.

BTW, you can't lift the back end up with it in gear and turn one wheel to find out as an the type of LSD fitted to the Mr2 requires that both wheels are in contact with the road to work.  It'll just behave like a standard open diff and the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction.

The definitive way to find out is to take it out of it's casing...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

a 2 with an LSD has gotta be more fun to drive then   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Find an airfield or somewhere with plenty of space that you have permission to use.  Drive around in a very tight circle in first gear then floor the throttle*.  If you get lots of noise and smoke but continue in a slightly larger circle, you are spinning the inside wheel and do not have an LSD.  If you end up facing the wrong way then you do.

On a couple of occasions I have been in a car park put the car on almost full lock  give gas and more or less turned on the spot. Scares the living daylight out of Chantal   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   Would that be the LSD causing the effect?

juansolo

Possibly.  The problem is that turning the wheels then dropping the clutch *can* cause both wheels to spin up anyway (there's a whole other thread on this...).  That's why I say drive around in the circle first (clutch out) then floor the throttle and if there is no LSD present, it will spin up the unloaded wheel.  If there is it'll put the torque to the loaded wheel to the point that that one breaks free and when that one does they both do and you end up facing the wrong way.

That, in essence, is all an LSD does.  It stops you spinning your power away on corners.  An aid to donutting and gooning is just a happy byproduct of this.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"I thought it was just pre '03's....my mistake

I thought that as well?

Anonymous

I think the problem is that Toyota only made a big deal and put it in their advertising stuff for the 03, although it was on the original model.

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think the problem is that Toyota only made a big deal and put it in their advertising stuff for the 03, although it was on the original model.

Yeah, some people just pay too much attention to advertising  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

maybe because it's now standard on ALL models and not just uk?

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"maybe because it's now standard on ALL models and not just uk?

It has always been standard in every EU/UK model, for some reason Toyota didn't make a fuss about it until the facelift.

US didn't get it with the facelift, they got it for 2004. (I think, someone should confirm/correct me on this one!)

AFAIK, it's still not standard in Japan, but an option.

Anonymous

it is only an option on from >2004  in the USA... I always thought it was an option for europe pre 03 and standard afterwards... I could swear I remember pre 03 having 5 speed option, w/o LSD, when I checked Austrian prices for MR2 in 2002...

fstsven

I'm not sure for the other European markets, but for the Belgian market, every Roadster, pre-03 or not, does definately have an LSD.   s8) 8) s8)  

Yes, I did the 'donut' test, albeit for purely scientific reasons, of course    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

The entire European market gets the same car, the only differences are thos that are added by the importers. (and here in they UK, they thoughtfully provide a steering wheel on the other side  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Tags: