I haven't the Remotest!!

Started by 2 of the left, January 9, 2012, 20:57

2 of the left

When I bought the Roadster it came with one key - It opens/locks the doors and the fuel cap/and lids but that is all - Does this mean an expensive trip to Mr T to gain a Remote plus the other 2 keys?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

AmeR

Is it grey?

assuming that it is a UK car, you may struggle then as the black keys are required to programme new ones. Or speak to D!ck2ski...

2 of the left

Yep - The key's Grey The car is UK Spec

DannyN

The grey key is the valet key and you should find it won't lock/unlock the glovebox
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

A possible solution would be to change the lockset and ECU. It would be time consuming and expensive though. Depends how perfect you want it to be.
There are seven barrels on the car which work with the one key and copies. Also the key is linked electronically to the ECU, to operate the immobiliser.

PMd

2 of the left

I think I'll stick with what I've got then - I made do with 1 key on the Mk2 for 17 years after all !!!! - No key hole covers for me then!!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "2 of the left"When I bought the Roadster it came with one key - It opens/locks the doors and the fuel cap/and lids but that is all

That's a pretty rubbish key TBH. I'd definitely be considering an upgrade to one that   can at least turn the ignition switch if I was you.   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

onion86

Quote from: "DannyN"The grey key is the valet key and you should find it won't lock/unlock the glovebox
Or the rear bins I thought (what do you mean by 'lids')?

I'd expect if you're lucky you could buy a 2nd hand key from fleabay and reprogramme it as per a new key as I did with the MR-S via key twists and buttons presses (I've got instructions if they're not on here)? Otherwise I think a new key is something like £140. I'm not sure if it's the same for UK spec due to the immobiliser so I could be completely wrong.

At the very least you can buy a key blank from eBay for about £3 and get the blade cut if you have your key code (might be written in the user book?), that will then not operate the central locking but will let you lock the glovebox/rear bins.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

K T M Rider

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "DannyN"The grey key is the valet key and you should find it won't lock/unlock the glovebox
Or the rear bins I thought (what do you mean by 'lids').

Assumed he means the engine lid - I.e. I think he means his key will operate the lock on the floor that locks the fuel flap and engine lid release levers. I suppose the Valet might need to check engine fluids or add some petrol.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

I think the car might be a grey import as Mr T has no record of it.

Mr T dealers are usually happy to provide a printout of their history on your car. Really useful if the service history is lost or suspect.

2 of the left

Quote from: "dick2ski"I think the car might be a grey import as Mr T has no record of it.

Mr T dealers are usually happy to provide a printout of their history on your car. Really useful if the service history is lost or suspect.
Coming to that conclusion as regards import - Was sold to me as UK Spec - complete with Owners handbook and Audio booklet - As to my one and only key - it is the Sub-key - starts ignition/engine,locks driver/passenger doors as well as floor lock for fuel cap cover and engine lid when soft top is lowered - It does not lock glovebox or rear stowages - Question - Can this key be cloned? I know d1ck2ski says he can do it from an original "black" key but I reckon this sub-key is classed as a "grey" key!!

Anonymous

Thats just my best guess when trying to come up with a solution. It may be that Toyotas records are incomplete. They have always been helpful here in Warrington, although they didnt have much of a clue about the hardtop/softtop issue.

Tags: