advice needed

Started by zen200, January 30, 2012, 13:49

zen200

6 speed 03 plate mr2 Roadster with 66k on clock.

gearbox crunches into reverse every time, unless I put it into any other gear first.

Mainly when cold I have trouble getting it into any gear or its very notchy

Car had new clutch in April and covered only 5-6k since - normal driving only.

Any ideas whats causing the issues above.

Thanks in advance

Phil.

P.S. - The garage that fitted the clutch are telling me that its not that bad and that they would just live with it, and the place which I bought the car are saying that they wont pay to have it looked at because the garage that fitted clutch said its not that bad.

** Car still under 12 months warrenty that I payed extra for **

onion86

Quote from: "zen200"the place which I bought the car are saying that they wont pay to have it looked at because the garage that fitted clutch said its not that bad.
I would make them look at it. Sounds like a gearbox issue unless it's been doing it ever since the clutch was fitted, was it a stock Toyota clutch or something cheap? There's the added issue that you've let somewhere else fit a clutch (assume due to what it is that this wasn't done under warranty?).
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

aaronjb

Sounds like the clutch is dragging - the lack of syncromesh on reverse means if any part of the gearbox is spinning you'll get a crunch as you select the gear.

Has it only been happening since the clutch change (I imagine)? If so did they split the hydraulic line to the clutch slave? (Yes = bleed the clutch) New release bearing of the correct type for the clutch? (No = release bearing could be worn. Yes could mean the release bearing is the wrong size) Has anyone adjusted the clutch master cylinder throw at the pedal end? You may be able to tweak it to find the sweet spot between proper release and constant slipping.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Wabbitkilla

If it's doing this since the clutch swap then it's the duty of the garage to put it right, they're fobbing you off.

Do not accept it
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

frogger

As mentioned above, a proper clutch bleed is the first thing to do with the symptoms your having.

EDIT - How to attached:     l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29469 l

Steve Green

Sounds like a visit to Trading Standards or Citizens advice, followed by a checkover by Mr T's mechanics is in order. Not right!
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

mrzwei

There was a 'helpline' letter in last months Practial Classics of an MGB that had had a new clutch and had similar issues '...when engaging first gear for the first time on starting, it's very notchy to engage.....'. The diagnosis was 'still air in the system'.
Difficut to get all of the air out on an MGB, not sure about the 2.

In any case, as others have said, this is the prime suspect (still assuming I think that you didn't have the problem before the clutch change).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

loadswine

A little test of the cluthc, pump the pedal several times before tryingto engage reverse, if it goes in easier after pumping the pedal, it is probably a clutch hydraulic issue.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

zen200

thanks for the replies guys.

The garage which I brought the car from who also supplied the eurocar clutch said that they wont pay anymore out to get it looked at and fixed.
The garage who only fitted the clutch have confirmed that they think its the clutch defo. But they only fitted it and not supplied so no come back to them as they did the job properly.

I spoke to trading standards who gave me some advice and words to use, but the garage I bought it from said that they doubt very much that trading standards would be able to help me at all given that the car had covered 5k miles since the clutch was fitted and I reported the reverse issue.

I feel like going to the garage and taking my monies worth out of them another way.

I hate car dealers and garages. Shisters.... and they wonder why there are programs on tv about them..... rogue traders etc.

Wabbitkilla

You did 5K miles before reporting the issue?
or The issue appeared 5K after the clutch was fitted.

Either way they sold a part with a warranty, they replace it uder warranty.

Or you reject the car and reclaim the full purchase price.
Trading Standards are your friends, update them with the story so far and they will advise and possibly place the seller on the watch list.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

zen200

Anyone near or in Kent Fancy helping me by haveing a look at it ???? I can get a valeo one which I have been told is good for under £100 then fit and sort out any other issues ?

I have read the above ideas etc, but I am not a competant mechanic and dont think a clutch is gonna be a simple job.

P.S. I have a warehouse to work in and quite a few tools including axle stands and jacks etc. I also have coffee and tea ;o)

zen200

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You did 5K miles before reporting the issue?
or The issue appeared 5K after the clutch was fitted.

Either way they sold a part with a warranty, they replace it uder warranty.

Or you reject the car and reclaim the full purchase price.
Trading Standards are your friends, update them with the story so far and they will advise and possibly place the seller on the watch list.

5k before clutch seemed to have problems.

I told trading standard the story and they gave me a ref.

I may spend the money on buying a big gun instead of new clutch repairs. See what the garage says when I have that with me.... lol JOKE  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

stargazer30

My first MR2 did this as well.  05 plate 19,000 miles only on origonal clutch and box.   It even did it after Matt changed the clutch when he did my turbo.  I just got used to putting it into first before reverse.

My exact symptoms were.
Cold/first started reverse would crunch if selected first but not that bad.  The odd occasional crunch when warm.
Put it into first with the clutch down and it would be notchy but would go in and then reverse was fine.
My missus complained bitterly she couldn't get it into any gear easily - meh!

I just figured it was an MR2 thing.  Then when I got my 04 plate MR2 I noticed immediately just how smooth the change was on all the gears vs the 05 plate I had.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

zen200

You not making me feel any better stargazer....lol

MattPerformance

Your contract is with the people you bought the car off and I think you have a pretty solid case, so you probably should get Trading Standards involved and see how they respond.  It was their decision to buy a cheap and cheerful clutch assembly  (presumably to save a few quid) so they have to live with the consequences of their actions.  
However, whilst the warranty is unlikely to be of use as clutches are normally excluded as wear and tear items, sometimes they do cover mechanical failure so if the clutch cover itself has fractured (which is my bet) they could well cover it.  Give them a call and find out... it's a much easier path to follow than trading standards.  And whatever you do, don't bad-mouth the garage until you've got the matter resolved.  That will work against you.

Tags: